strawberry: natasha, hello all!

strawberry

hello to all.......

glad i got to hear about this site....

am in a bit of a predicament, though......was all my hubbies idea to migrate...

took forever to get someone ken to employ him(he is a butcher)

Now we have a potential offer on the table , but he is not sure he wants to go ...

whats scaring him is the salary offered is $45,500.00 pa.

the area is Cooktown in Cairns , far north Queensland.

Its a hoilday town...ME i am there already!!!

but he is concerned about the money and us coming out at each week end...

can anyone assist with what this area is like ...does anyone have an idea of the norm salary for a butcher?

I see they talk about "award" wages ...does anyone know what this means?

I am a Bookkeeper to Balance sheet jobs seem plenty...but not really in this area...

my dilema ...how do I CONVINCE my hubby to take the offer...

Sorry to burnden whom ever is reading this with my story :ilikeit:

Tash

Hi Strawberry,

Yes, it is all very confusing when you first start out on this unknown road to Oz, (no yellow-brick road to follow unfortunately ;) ) but be sure that we've all been there, done that...... and are here to help you through this roller-coaster ride!

$45000 p.a. is a bit on the "low" side in comparison, but I know people who make a decent living in a biggish city on $50 000, so I guess living in a country town would be less expensive, and therefore, the salary offered might still be sufficient. It all depends on what you want in life and what your priorities are. People in Oz are generally less competitive in regards to their homes, cars, and material assets. You don't have to keep up with the Jones's and no-one judges you based on how much you earn. There's also many different "allowances" you may qualify for such as single income allowance, rent assistance etc. I unfortunately don't know all the details, but you can visit here to find out more: www.centrelink.gov.au.

For Salary rates in various sectors, visit http://www.hays.com.au/salary/surveyIndex

Heaps of info on Cooktown is available on this link: www.cook.qld.gov.au - you'll find most of what you need to know about Cooktown here as well as photos, community services, banks, schools, clubs, libraries, and even the local public swimming pool!

The best advise I can give you is to do as much research as you can before you come to Oz as it is better to know what to expect and to prepare yourself for it, than to be all idealistic about it and don't like what you find here. You'll end up blaming each other and jump on the first flight "back home". We've been in Oz 20 months and are LOVING it! But we came prepared and could deal with the difficulties along the way. It's not ALL moonshine & roses, but it sure is worth everything!! :oops: