Hello!

Niel

Hi All,

My wife and I are keen to make “the move” to OZ. The problem is that I cannot find any recruitment agency willing to help me find a job. I have a Masters Degree in Electronic Engineering and 2+ years of professional working experience in a high tech environment. I thought that since Australia has a shortage of engineers the task of finding a job would not be that difficult.

I really need some help on this one. Should I apply for a skilled working visa first before trying to find a job? What would be the best way to handle this?

Thanks

Niel

There are many ways to solve this one.

Apply for your visa and while in the process do your own "marketing" by searching the web for companies that might need your skills and sending them your CV and selling yourself. Also search the Seek and Careerone sites and apply for any and every job you might be qualified for. Don't give up it might take quite a while but the right one will come along.

Good luck

N

PS: CV's are written a bit differnt in Aussie so I suggest you contact an Australian employment agent to help you set your up for Aus.

Try and PM customeyes, she might be able to help.if I recall correctly, she does recruitment.

Good luck on the best journey in your life!

Carelene

Hi,

Remember that recruitment agencies earn their fees by placing candidates in jobs - and the faster, the better. They want candidates that can attend interviews within 48 hours and start a new job after serving a months notice. International candidates are just not that attractive.

There are a few ways to work the system. First of all, contact employers in your field directly - they aren't worried about earning a placement fee! Alternatively, if you can manage it, come out for a week. Contact some reputable recruiters and advise them that you are available to be interviewed by their clients during that week. Again, contact employers directly and let them know the same thing. This is a successful, albeit expensive, route that has been successful for quite a few people.

Your qualifications and skills are in high demand, so you certainly shouldn't have any problems on the job front.

I'll PM you with the name and contact details of a reputable recruiter in the Engineering field who may be able to help as well.

Cheers

Ajay

Hi there. I am confused why you would want to get into Aus via a job? As an electronic engineer, you should have enough points to get in on a Permanent residents visa (ie no job needed and you can find one at your own pace once you arrive) as Electronics Engineers are on the short list. If you go in on a job visa, your medical aid and schooling is not free, moreover there is not guarantee that you will be able to stay pernanently, where as with a permanent residency visa you are all set to become a citizen.

Oh, my husband is an electronics engineer and all he had to do to qualify was to register with the engineers institute (the legal body) in Aus.

I have a Masters Degree in Electronic Engineering and 2+ years of professional working experience in a high tech environment. I thought that since Australia has a shortage of engineers the task of finding a job would not be that difficult.

Contact Claire Meiring in Sydney at claire@interlogic.com.au or tel. +61-2-9922-2711

She will be in Cape Town end of Jan./beginning of Feb. to look for engineers too.

Hi Niel!

a suggestion or 2 if I may.

1 Apply for as many closely related jobs as you can - politely requesting sponsorship - I did that, 350+ applications and 6 months later I will be landing in OZ in 25 Jan to start work on 1 Feb.

2 I am in the recruitment industry and will happily assist where and when I can - once I have started in OZ off course.

Cheers

Nick