What on Earth are they talking about?!

Riekie

A colleague from Canberra was assisting us on a software upgrade project a few years ago. Working in a state department, we still made use of 1.25 inch diskettes.

The collogue look at me quite surprised when I asked him to give me his stiffy.

Luckily he saw what I was pointing at and caught on.

He chuckled and explained that they call it floppy discs and a stiffy was not used in IT circles. :unsure:

Stiffy is a term only used in RSA.

I had dealings with USA and UK companies and they got a giggle out of the word stiffy.

Smoko. At a braai a saffer said he was told it was smoko, went outside and lit up. Olny to be on his own, then he walked passed the tea room, and they were all sitting having eats and coffee.

Show the Car the tub. Car pronounced KAAA givve the car a wash

Mexicans. What Queenslanders call all from the Southern States

Bluey Red haired men all seem to be called this. ( I asked my neighbour as he is a bluey with grey hair)

Hence the Virgin Blue (being red)

Maroons pronounced Moroun as (moan)( QLD thing) My wife asked what they call the moon, is it moan

Dunny toilet

Utes are also called tilly here

Edited by LeeInOz

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HansaPlease

• Dreamcatcher

• Riekie

• Polyanna

Maroons pronounced Moroun as (moan)( QLD thing) My wife asked what they call the moon, is it moan

A bit more subtle, but pronouncing "sawing" the same as "soaring". Similarly, "drawer" is more like "drawrer", and "drawing" is "drawring".

and what about a "nature strip"..... We went to the local show and was told that I can park on the nature strip "huh ?" it is the piece of grass on between the road and the pavement. Did anyone else know this ?

Ek het my so geniet :lol: Wat 'n manier om die dag te begin :lol: Sal seker die hele dag loop met so 'n snaakse glimlag op my lippe. Dankie julle :whome:

Ons sien vreeslik uit daarna om al die dinge te beleef. Ek wonder net hoeveel van die moet ek my amper hoerskool kind vertel of moet ek haar dit alles self laat uitvind ? Aan die een kant wil ek nie slapende honde wakker maak mbt grootmens dinge nie, maar aan die ander kant wil ek ook nie vir haar verlee laat nie. Wat dink julle ?

Groete

Aniena

Edited by aniena

Guest Vermeulens

Hi Aniena,

Ek kan self nie wag om dit te beleef nie. Ek is seker ek sal self klomp blabse maak en aangestaar word.

Ek wonder net hoe keer mens jouself om nie hulle aksent aan te leer nie. Ek was vir 'n LSD in Junie/Julie in Oz en het vreeslik ge-"yeah" toe ek in SA land.

Ek is besig om 'n lys te maak van al die woorde en betekenisse. Ons sal dit op die vliegtuig opswot en dit sal seker op die yskas geplak word.

He he he. :D

Em

Hi Em

Lyk my "great minds think alike". Ek het ook besluit om 'n lys te maak en teen die yskas te sit veral vir Hubby wat or twee weke Oz toe gaan, en dan drie weke daar gaan bly. (werksoek) Wil nie he hy moet met die onderhoude ens mense verkeerd opvryf nie He he eh

Groete

Aniena