What on Earth are they talking about?!

Riekie

When we visited Australia some time ago, my wife pretty loudly asked one of the Coles employees in Adelaide where she could find an Avo. It must have sounded different on the Aussie ear as it immediately became dead quite in her vicinity, and the stares from the numerous bystanders could surely have killed her. The employee then proceeded to sternly admonish her for using such a vile word as Abo towards him, and moreover in public without having any shame. We still have a chuckle when we purchase avos and try to imagine what would happen if an Aussy attempted a similar move in a shop in SA.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HansaPlease

• Dreamcatcher

• Riekie

• Polyanna

When we visited Australia some time ago, my wife pretty loudly asked one of the Coles employees in Adelaide where she could find an Avo. It must have sounded different on the Aussie ear as it immediately became dead quite in her vicinity, and the stares from the numerous bystanders could surely have killed her. The employee then proceeded to sternly admonish her for using such a vile word as Abo towards him, and moreover in public without having any shame. We still have a chuckle when we purchase avos and try to imagine what would happen if an Aussy attempted a similar move in a shop in SA.

:unsure::ph34r::P

Thanks for the chuckle! Made my day....

Thanks for your explanation.

When I lived in New Zealand, the All Blacks had a game where the one guy put his finger up the other one's butt and it was headlines on TV and the newspapers there and they referred to it as a wedgie. This is where I got my understanding of it.

SAS

SAS you are really getting it wrong, it had nothing to do with the All Blacks or New Zealand who play Rugby Union, It was the famous onfield fingering scandal involving John Hopoate in the Rugby league game Hopoate played for Manly (Yes your home town of Sydney.)

Rumour has it that thee is to be a film involving this incident and it will be called "crouching tiger, hidden finger" ....sorry!

Cheers

Des

Edited by DesV

I'm surprised nobody has translated the Bex part yet. "After a Grand Pa's and a lie down..."

If you still don't get it, Bex is a trade name for an analgesic, traditionally in powder form.

That I knew, but I didn't know that it took a South African doctor to realise that there was a problem with the original Bex formula:

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection...ase/?irn=340661.

And never ever say I am going to doo doo (nap) as it will get you some wierd stares as it means doing a number 2

But I now want to know whether I can eat other people's meat at a barbie or only my own??? Anyone?

I phoned my Aussie friend and read her the post and she enjoyed it so much.

No, defenitely no, you only eat your meat!

But I now want to know whether I can eat other people's meat at a barbie or only my own??? :D Anyone?

Yes! Me too! :lol:

I phoned my Aussie friend and read her the post and she enjoyed it so much.

No, defenitely no, you only eat your meat!

Ah, there it is, thank you Nilo. :ilikeit:

Hi guys thanks I feel like a real Figjam =("F*ck I'm good; just ask me").

here is my final answer-

2007 Australian Citizenship test

1. Do you understand the meaning, but are unable to explain the origin of, the term "died in the arrse"?

Its past tense (?)

2. What is a bloody little beauty?

Exclamation saying great, fantastic

3. Are these terms related: chuck a sickie; chuck a spaz; chuck a U-ey?

Chuck a sickie is call in to work sick and chuck a U-ey is make a U-turn

4. Explain the following passage: "In the arvo last Chrissy the relos rocked up for a barbie, some bevvies and a few snags. After a bit of a Bex and a lie down we opened the pressies, scoffed all the chockies, bickies and lollies. Then we drained a few tinnies and Mum did her block after Dad and Steve had a barney and a bit of biffo."

In the afternoon last Christmas the relatives arrived for a barbeque, some beers (drinks) and a few sausages(barbeque). After a (Panadol) (analgesic, traditionally in powder form )and a nap we opened the presents, ate all the chocolates, biscuits and sweets. Then we drank a few beers and mum got mad after dad and steve had an argument and a fight.

5. Macca, Chooka and Wanger are driving to Surfers in their Torana. If they are travelling at 100 km/h while listening to Barnsey, Farnsey and Acca Dacca, how many slabs will each person on average consume between flashing a brown eye and having a slash?

A Torana is a car that was made by Holden.

Barnsey is a singer called Jimmy Barnes and Farnsey is also a singer called John Farnham. Acca Dacca is a band called ACDC.

A slab is a carton of beers. Flashing a brown eye is having a number 2 (also called a doo-doo in oz) and having a slash is having a number 1.

6. Complete the following sentences:

a) "If the van's rockin' don't bother ? Knocking

:ilikeit: You're going home in the back of an Ambulance ?

c) Fair crack of the ? dawn

7. I've had a gutful and I can't be fagged. Discuss

I have had enough and I can't be bothered/fooled anymore

8. Have you ever been on the giving or receiving end of a wedgie?

When someone try and pull your underwear over your head.

9. Do you have a friend or relative who has a car in their front yard "up on blocks"? Is his name Bruce and does he have a wife called Cheryl?

Working on a car in their back yard Bruce and cheryl are very standard ossie names

10. Does your family regularly eat a dish involving mincemeat, cabbage, curry powder and a packet of chicken noodle soup called either chow mein, chop suey or kai see ming?

Hehe sadley yes- instant Chinese

11. What are the ingredients in a rissole?

mince- called “frikkadel” or meatball

12. Demonstrate the correct procedure for eating a Tim Tam.

This ones easy: Bite off opposite corners of the TimTam and dip in your tea/milo/coffee and sip your tea/milo/coffee through it, quickly put the whole lot in your mouth.

13. Do you have an Aunty Irene who smokes 30 cigarettes a day and sounds like a bloke?

NO-but am willing to adopt if she can bake koeksisters

14. In any two-hour period have you ever eaten three-bean salad, a chop and two serves of pav washed down with someone else's beer that has been flogged from a bath full of ice?

sounds like a mean party- on a Tuesday night in Eneabba

Pav=Pavlova - a rich, creamy Australian dessert

15. When you go to a bring- your-own-meat barbie can you eat other people's meat or are you only allowed to eat your own?

NO

16. What purple root vegetable beginning with the letter "b" is required by law to be included in a hamburger with the lot?

Beetroot- It is included with every single meal in oz. It is so much more than just a veggie here! I am sure ossies will write poems to beetroot as well.

17. Do you own or have you ever owned a lawn mower, a pair of thongs, an Esky or Ugg boots?

Thongs are flip flops or beech tongs, an Esky is a cooler box (. Ugg boots are those soft, I think, cow hide boots with wool inside.

18. Is it possible to "prang a car" while doing "circle work"?

Is it possible to have an accident while doing doughnuts

19. Who would you like to crack on to?

Crack onto = to hit on someone, pursue someone romantically

20. Who is the most Australian: Kevin "Bloody" Wilson, John "True Blue" Williamson, Kylie Minogue or Warnie?

True blue=patriotic

Kevin Bloody Wilson is a short, bearded comedy singer/songwriter who uses a heavy Australian accent/style with great success.

Warnie= cricketing hero Shane Warne

Kylie Minogue= wannebe singer

21. Is there someone you are only mates with because they own a trailer or have a pool?

No comment

22. What does sinkin piss at a mates joint and getten para mean?

Having drinks (beer) at a friend's place and getting drunk (paralytic)

And when people ask ' How are you going?" I cannot resist saying "Fine, and you?". I have tried and tried to stop.

That really puts them off. They look at you as if you are mad. :ilikeit:

I guess that explains why I never get an answer when the conversation goes something like this:

Me to the lady at the checkout: "Hi there"

Lady at checkout: "Hi, how are ya?"

Me: "Well thanks. How about you?"

Lady: Blank stare! :lol::huh:

Me: :D Pick up shopping bags and leave rather quickly

:D

I guess that explains why I never get an answer when the conversation goes something like this:

Me to the lady at the checkout: "Hi there"

Lady at checkout: "Hi, how are ya?"

Me: "Well thanks. How about you?"

Lady: Blank stare! :D:huh:

Me: :ilikeit: Pick up shopping bags and leave rather quickly

:D

Haha, the same thing happens to me all the time! :lol: I get that "what planet are you from? type look.... strange. I would have thought that if someone asks you how you are then they would actually expect an answer, but there you go! :D

Another one that's a bit strange to me is that I've found that people don't say bye. You'll be talking to someone in a shop or office and then when it's time to go I'll normally say something like, "ok, thanks a lot. Bye." Some of the time I get "seeya lata" as an answer, which is fine, but a lot of the time nothing. :D It's like, conversation over, finished with you, move on to the next one.... Does anyone else find that?

Guest Bronwyn

Oops. I ate someone else's meat on Sunday. Not a lot, just a stukkie. I thought it would be polite, actually (no - really I hoped it would taste a bit better than ours).

:holy:

Speaking of which, the beef tates like cardboard here, I can't figure out why. Does anyone else find this? I have a cupboard full of Aromat, spices and curry powder etc, but it's all still blaahhgh! Must be the grass the cows chomp.

Oops. I ate someone else's meat on Sunday. Not a lot, just a stukkie. I thought it would be polite, actually (no - really I hoped it would taste a bit better than ours).

:holy:

Speaking of which, the beef tates like cardboard here, I can't figure out why. Does anyone else find this? I have a cupboard full of Aromat, spices and curry powder etc, but it's all still blaahhgh! Must be the grass the cows chomp.

Really?

Do you get it from a butcher or supemarket?

I find the beef (and meat in general) to be very good over here. And the biltong made over here is really good too, much unlike the rubbish you get in the UK, bleeeeeugh....

Edited by HansaPlease

I'm sure your boss will be impressed with how much Aussie you know for the short time you've been here.

Let us know what he has to say!

He thinksI am an absolute genius....Thanks guys

He thinksI am an absolute genius....Thanks guys

Maybe now's a good time to ask for an increase? :D;)

Henriette

See all you needed was a couple of Saffers to figure out the LINGO :ilikeit:

I just wonder how long it takes before we start speaking like they do.... I already say "How you going?" and arvo, just makes things easier :lol:

Has anyone heard the saying "to spit the dummy"?

It means to give something up.

So for example if someone left their job, they were to have "spit the dummy".

Edited by Polyanna

Has anyone heard the saying "to spit the dummy"?

It means to give something up.

So for example if someone left their job, they were to have "spit the dummy".

I think "spit the dummy" is actually more in the context of "having a fit" or throwing a "floermoer"

When somebody makes a big scene about something, or "having a hissy fit" as they say over here in Aus.

I mostly get it from Woolworths....could be why. It's just flavourless. But it's also the same in steakhouses....so, I don't know. :huh:

Hmm, interesting.

Maybe I just enjoy the steak over here after being subjected to British beef for 7 years... ;)

Edited by HansaPlease

Jip Riekie dit is omtrent nou vir jou 'n ding. En wat die snaakste is binne enkele maande praat ons skoon self so, kan jy glo, maar daar is darem nog eg suid afrikaanse se goed, soos iech, hosepipe, gespel soos uitgespreek, jou boude gaan brand as ons by die huis kom, word sommer in woolies of Bilo vir die kinders vertel want niemand verstaan mos...................... of T vir aandete, nee jong beslis 'n nuwe taal op sy eie

quote name='Riekie' date='Jun 14 2006, 09:09 PM' post='6419']

Ajay's post in the Voyer prompted me to start this thread: The Aussies speak English, but let me tell you, I wonder........ they have an abbreviation for almost any word you can think off or they'd simply create their own. As Ajay has mentioned, a duvet is not an Aussie word - they call it a doona! And there's many more (maybe you all can add to the list and share your embarrassing moments..... hie-hie)!

Just a few ones I can think of now:

Esky = Cooler Box

Brekkie = Breakfast

Valance = Nightfrill (MY most embarrassing moment - try asking the stiff-lipped shop assistant at Myer for a nightfrill!!!) :huh:

Textas = Coki Pens

Barbie/BBQ = Braai/Braaier

Arvo = Afternoon (As in: "see you this arvo.....")

Jumper = Sweatshirt/Jersey/Tracksuit Top/Long-sleeve T)

Runners = Têkkies

UTE = Bakkie (Pronounced: yout)

Lollies = Sweets

Sweets = Dessert

There's heaps more!.......... :lol:

Edited by Ester

I think "spit the dummy" is actually more in the context of "having a fit" or throwing a "floermoer"

When somebody makes a big scene about something, or "having a hissy fit" as they say over here in Aus.

Hmm, interesting.

Apologies... I found the following explanation on "GoAustralia" :

spit the dummy. Baulk at, get angry about, or simply, obstinately refuse to do, something. A dummy is what some Americans call a pacifier, and when a baby spits the dummy it just can't be pacified.

;)

Apologies... I found the following explanation on "GoAustralia" :

spit the dummy. Baulk at, get angry about, or simply, obstinately refuse to do, something. A dummy is what some Americans call a pacifier, and when a baby spits the dummy it just can't be pacified.

Eh, no need to apologise. ;)

I am still saying "Howzit?" And I keep getting Fine thanks and you? back :ilikeit:

For strange looks say "turn right at the circle" or "turn at the robot" they also dont seem to understand the words Oke, SMS or Cell phone all that well.

Tried "Cheers Boet" to the bosses son yesterday

Needless to say I get some strange looks

Oh well pretty soon they will have knocked some of the South african out of me

Now wait – help this still-in-RSA gal:

What are the Aussie alternatives then.

"turn right at the circle"

"turn at the robot"

Oke, SMS or Cell phone

I currently struggle with the abbr. SA on this forum, never know if the writer means South Africa or South Australia, let alone new words in Aus lingo. :ilikeit:

Seeya

Here they are...

"turn right at the circle" = Turn right at the roundabout.

"turn at the robot" = Turn at the traffic lights.

Oke = Bloke

SMS = Text Message

Cell phone = Mobile

More important ones to remember - :ilikeit:

Case of beer = Slab of beer

Dumpie = Stubby

I'm going to draw money = I'm going to get cash out

Edited by HansaPlease

Thanks for clearing that up.

As you can see, I'm still "duh" :ilikeit: far behind about these things. The catching up is going to be such fun. :hug:

Thanks for sharing. Hubby enjoys his beer, so now he's going to polish a slab of bear and I a slab of dark chocolate. GOOD.

Seeya

Edited by Seeya