What on Earth are they talking about?!

Riekie

traffic Light - robot (I once made the mistake of saying sorry I am late I got held up by the robots

Can you imagine what must have gone through their minds when you said that?! They must have thought you were going nutty!! :ilikeit:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HansaPlease

• Dreamcatcher

• Riekie

• Polyanna

The other day I told our rental agent that the geyser was leaking. She looked at me as if I was an idiot. "Your WHAT?" she asked. I tried again, and told her the hot water system was leaking. Only then she understood. She still looks at me funny when she sees me..... :ilikeit:

Guest Seoul Sister
The other day I told our rental agent that the geyser was leaking. She looked at me as if I was an idiot. "Your WHAT?" she asked. I tried again, and told her the hot water system was leaking. Only then she understood. She still looks at me funny when she sees me..... :D

:):D:D:D:ilikeit:

ROTFL !! *wipe eyes *

Here I go again.. Hehehehehehe. *Sniff* Tee hee hee, hehehehehehe. She must have thought - How honest of you !! I'm not sure if the Aussies are the same, but a Yank would have thought you were talking about your ol' hubs... (the geyser !) :ilikeit::D:lol::D

I have to stay off this thread, it's literally hurting me. Hehehehehe *sniff*.

:D:D:lol:

Love

Giggling Sis

:D

Edited by Seoul Sister

:):ilikeit: NO, I did not know of that meaning for the word!!!! :ilikeit:

:lol::lol::D:D Your laughter is contagious! Had to dry my seat now. No wonder the poor women thinks I'm nutty. And what must she think of my poor "geyser" :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Just remembered, what about the "h" that is pronounced "heich" ? Took some time getting used to that one! :ilikeit:

Bugger!!!! Closest translation 'Oh Shi.'!

This thread has really been good laughter medicine!

:ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit::lol::blink:

En kyk, die "lollie"-ding kan ek net nie aanvaar nie. Swiets is swiets en lollies is suigstokkies! Kon iemand nie die arme mense reggehelp het nie? Nou moet ons maar saampraat en inpas....

Ek het self 'n lekker stel afgetrap met die lollie ding. Ek moes na 'n klein seuntjie omsien vir 'n paar uur, en sy ouma vertel toe dat hy 'n lollie kry nadat hy sy medisyne gedrink het. Grote Griet, het ek gesoek na daai lollies! :wub: Dit was toe al die tyd 'liquorice allsorts'. Arme kind moes toe maar sy medisyne afsluk sonder 'n troos.

Moenie vergeet ons kyk 'Footy' by 'Suby' (Subiaco), en naweke gaan ons Freo (Fremantle) se vlooimark toe. En 'cheers' is nie koebaai nie, dis dankie.

siee jah

:(:blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Het julle ookal agterkom hulle spreek party woorde weird uit.

Soos "project" - ons sê prôject en hulle sê pro(as in professional)ject.

Just so weird, makes you think who's pronunciating it right?

Another slang word I have found is "bomb". Like we have a car rental company called "Rent-a-bomb" Bomb just means crap, like you can rent a really crappy old car. Had me scratching my head for a few weeks here in Cairns.

A colleague from Canberra was assisting us on a software upgrade project a few years ago. Working in a state department, we still made use of 1.25 inch diskettes.

The collogue look at me quite surprised when I asked him to give me his stiffy.

Luckily he saw what I was pointing at and caught on.

He chuckled and explained that they call it floppy discs and a stiffy was not used in IT circles. :ilikeit:

Shame is a word not to be used unless you really mean it to be "skandelik". No shaming babies or when someone gets' hurt or to a cute puppy. Shame is not an endearing word in Oz. Had to do some back pedalling a few times already - just can't get that word out of my vocabulary - SO used to saying that!!

• 4 weeks later...

Omdat ons nog woonagtig is in Mpumalanga en die dae aftel vir ons finale OK. vanaf Immigrasie, was hierdie n baie lekker toppic :ilikeit: Ek wil ook van die geleentheid gebruik maak om almal te bedank vir die wonderlikke leestof,wie het nou die erge koerante hier nodig :unsure: Ek vra nie baie nie want die meeste antwoorde is klaar beantwoord en gevra. Annette, sal moontlik later met jou kontak maak vir n paar idees aangesien ons jou area betree. Sorry dat ek die dam onder die eend uitgeruk het :blush: die topic.......... My 8 jarige dogter Micaela wat as jy vir haar iets se dit as wet aanvaar en baie ernstig opneem, sy leer die familie hier om hulle taal reg te gebruik. Haar boetie 5 jaar oud word nou gereeld uitgetrap omdat hy vir die pragtige babatjie ' ag shame se. Oupa en Ouma mag ons nooit weer vir tee nooi nie, want hulle moet mos se ons moet aandete geniet.! Vir haar skool juffrou word daar in haar sinne geskryf 'good on you mate'. Reinhard vra elke dag nou wanneer gaan ons OSTROLIO toe. Het hulle hondjies belowe sodra ons arriveer. Ons kinders het grootgeword in Botswana en omdat ek en my man in die siviele ingenieurs beroep is moes ons baie trek en die hondjies maar agterwee laat. :ph34r:

Hierdie boekie is in by CNA bskikbaar en het op die wonderlike OZ-LINGO SELECTION afgekom, dag ek deel dit met julle,

ANKLE-BITER.....................toddler

ARVO................................Afternoon

BACK OF BOURKE..............Back of beyond

BAGGED............................Criticised

BARBIE..............................BBQ or Braai

BEAUT...............................Exemlary

BLUE.................................Fight, argument

BODGEE............................Bad or defective

CACTUS............................Totally inebriated

CHOOK..............................Chicken

COCKIE.............................Gentleman Farmer

COCKY..............................Cockroach

COTCASE...........................Hopeless

CROOK..............................Sick

DEAD-SET..........................Absolutely

DERRO...............................Derelict person/tramp

DOONA...............................Duvet

DUNNY................................Toilet

FAIR DINKUM.......................Honest;Genuine

FAIR GO..............................Equitable opportunity

FURPHY...............................Red herring

G'DAY.................................Hello

GIVE THEM HIPS..................Extreme criticism

GOT THE WOG.....................Suffering from a virus

HOON..................................Loud

HOSTIE................................Air Hostess

KNOCK BACK.......................Refuse a request or offer

LARRIKIN.............................Lovable rogue

LIPPY...................................Lipstick

LITTILIES.............................Children

LOLLIES...............................Sweets

MAD AS A CUT SNAKE...........Exessively aggravated!

MATE................................... Friend

MEDICO...............................Medical Doctor

MOZZIE................................Mosquito

NO WORRIES........................Relaxed attitude

QUALITY BLOKE....................Fine fellow

QUEUE-JUMPER.....................Illegal asylum seeker

RAVING FRUITCAKE..............Questionable sanity

REVO...................................Car Registration

RELLIES................................Relatives

RIP INTO IT .........................Get started

ROUNDABOUT.......................Traffic Circle

RUNS ON THE BOARD............Credibility

SANGERS.............................Sandwiches

SCHOONER...........................A measure of beer

SHACK UP.............................Move it together

SHE'LL BE APPLES..................All wil be well

SHE'LL BE RIGHT....................It'll be OK

SHONK(Y)..............................Crook(ed)

SICKY....................................A day off

STICKY BEAK.........................Nosey Person

STUBBIE................................375 ml Bottle of beer

SUSSED.................................Examine carefully

TEA........................................Supper/dinner

TICKETY-BOO.........................Pleasant condition

TIP.........................................Rubbish dump

TOGS.....................................Swimming costume

TOO RIGHT!............................Absolutely!

TRAFFIC LIGHT.......................Robot

TRUE BLUE..............................Genuine

TUCKER..................................Food

UNI.........................................University

WAG.......................................Play truant

WORK BACK............................Work overtime

YABBIE....................................Freshwater Crayfish

Ek moet bieg dat ek hou van die manier wat hulle dinge se soos dit is. Party woordjies selfs n bietjie 'Lazy -of verkort dan. Dankie dat ek n bydrae kon lewer :D Sal laat weet as ons pak. :D:ilikeit::ilikeit:

Hi Lieze,

Jy moet meer inloer jong, lyk of jy lekker kan gesels! :unsure:

Dis lekker as die kinders so gou leer, en dit maak dit vir hulle 'n hele avontuur. Dis goed as jy hulle nou reeds positief maak, dan is die skuif nie so erg vir hulle nie.

Groetnis,

Dreamy

Ek het ook op 'n stadium oorweeg om maar 'n aussie -slang "manual" te koop, want die helfde van die tyd het ek nie 'n "CLUE" gehad waarvan hulle praat nie, maar het ook net besef - vir elke woord wat ek kan memoriseer, is daar 10 ander wat hulle weer uitdink! Die aussies is baie lui geselsers - hoe korter hulle 'n woord kan maak, hoe beter - of NOG beter - as hulle 1 woord (verkieslik met minder as 5 letters) kan uitdink om 'n hele sin te vervang!! So met die tyd raak mens darem gewoond aan die mees algemenes en kan mens so elke 3de sin van 'n aussie gesprek volg..... (Amper soos Egoli - jy hoef net 1 episode 'n week te kyk om te weet wat aangaan.... :unsure: )

Dreamcatcher, don't get me started I will defenitly 'chew someone's ear off'. :o Net die gedagte daaraan, dis skreeu-snaaks. Ek moet se niemand hier in RSA is meer dieselfde nie :lol: Nee laat ek liewers pak, netnou vertrek daai vliegtuig en ek moet se dit sal nie meer help om agterna te hardloop en te skreeu nie, want niemand sal my hoor nie!!!!!! :lol::angry:;) Desember is om die draai :o:huh:

Riekie dis nes jy daar se vat nou DUNNY..........Toilet, Sunshine Sister het dit as Thunderbox nee wat ek dink ons moet dit verander na klein huisie, is tog baie mooier en as dit dan Engels moet wees 'Loo' is tog baie korter. :blush:

Hier is dit baie koud, kan jul dit glo het reen gehad en dit in die winter, - ek bly mos nie in die Kaap nie!!!!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
the word 'root' has a massively different connotation.....

Hi to all of you in Oz.

Same as "rubber".... me, a couple of days into my new job in my new country asking the receptionist (just before lunch) for a rubber.

She curiously asking me what do I need it for.

Almost annoyed with the question and wondering by myself (hey girl, what do you Canadians normally use a rubber for...) I explained to her I would like to erase pencil mistakes.

She almost fell off her chair laughing. No wonder, since she thought I was asking for a condom and must have thought I have something planned for lunch.

Needless to say, that was the last time I called an eraser a rubber.

• 1 year later...

OH NO I had to get this one out again. To all of the ozzie lingo experts out there...My boss send me this as a challenge :D . please help! I would hate to dissapoint him :D

2007 Australian Citizenship test

1. Do you understand the meaning, but are unable to explain the origin of, the term "died in the arrse"?

2. What is a bloody little beauty?

3. Are these terms related: chuck a sickie; chuck a spaz; chuck a U-ey?

4. Explain the following passage: "In the arvo last Chrissy the relos rocked up for a barbie, some bevvies and a few snags. After a bit of a Bex and a lie down we opened the pressies, scoffed all the chockies, bickies and lollies. Then we drained a few tinnies and Mum did her block after Dad and Steve had a barney and a bit of biffo."

5. Macca, Chooka and Wanger are driving to Surfers in their Torana. If they are travelling at 100 km/h while listening to Barnsey, Farnsey and Acca Dacca, how many slabs will each person on average consume between flashing a brown eye and having a slash?

6. Complete the following sentences:

a) "If the van's rockin' don't bother ?

:ph34r: You're going home in the back of a ?

c) Fair crack of the ?

7. I've had a gutful and I can't be fagged. Discuss

8. Have you ever been on the giving or receiving end of a wedgie?

9. Do you have a friend or relative who has a car in their front yard "up on blocks"? Is his name Bruce and does he have a wife called Cheryl?

10. Does your family regularly eat a dish involving mincemeat, cabbage, curry powder and a packet of chicken noodle soup called either chow mein, chop suey or kai see ming?

11. What are the ingredients in a rissole?

12. Demonstrate the correct procedure for eating a Tim Tam.

13. Do you have an Aunty Irene who smokes 30 cigarettes a day and sounds like a bloke?

14. In any two-hour period have you ever eaten three-bean salad, a chop and two serves of pav washed down with someone else's beer that has been flogged from a bath full of ice?

15. When you go to a bring- your-own-meat barbie can you eat other people's meat or are you only allowed to eat your own?

16. What purple root vegetable beginning with the letter "b" is required by law to be included in a hamburger with the lot?

17. Do you own or have you ever owned a lawn mower, a pair of thongs, an Esky or Ugg boots?

18. Is it possible to "prang a car" while doing "circle work"?

19. Who would you like to crack on to?

20. Who is the most Australian: Kevin "Bloody" Wilson, John "True Blue" Williamson, Kylie Minogue or Warnie?

21. Is there someone you are only mates with because they own a trailer or have a pool?

22. What does sinkin piss at a mates joint and getten para mean?

Edited by henriette.rossouw

durer = duurder (hulle sal sê: "this item is durer than that one")

It's "dearer"

It's English. "dear" meaning "expensive"

:D

A colleague from Canberra was assisting us on a software upgrade project a few years ago. Working in a state department, we still made use of 1.25 inch diskettes.

The collogue look at me quite surprised when I asked him to give me his stiffy.

Luckily he saw what I was pointing at and caught on.

He chuckled and explained that they call it floppy discs and a stiffy was not used in IT circles. :D

Heh heh heh heh. I've come unstuck with that one a few times, both in the UK and over here. :ph34r:

They also say:" How are you going" instead of "How are you/you doing?". It was so funny when they started asking me that, I felt like doing a funny walk and saying:"I'm going like this"...funny walk, funny shaking of the head, he he

And what about "Go for your life", meaning Go for it!

In the marketing industry they don't talk about a presentation, but a preso

4. Explain the following passage: "In the arvo last Chrissy the relos rocked up for a barbie, some bevvies and a few snags. After a bit of a Bex and a lie down we opened the pressies, scoffed all the chockies, bickies and lollies. Then we drained a few tinnies and Mum did her block after Dad and Steve had a barney and a bit of biffo."

In the afternoon last Christmas the relatives arrived for a barbeque, some beers (drinks) and a few sausages. After a bit of a BEX (?) and a lie down we opened the presents, ate all the chocolates, biscuits and sweets. Then we drank a few beers and mum got mad after dad and steve had a fight.

7. I've had a gutful and I can't be fagged

I have had enough and I can't be bothered anymore.

This ones easy: Bite off opposite corners of the TimTam and dip in your tea/milo/coffee and sip your tea/milo/coffee through it, quickly put the whole lot in your mouth.

16. What purple root vegetable beginning with the letter "b" is required by law to be included in a hamburger with the lot?

Beetroot

:ilikeit:

Edited by The Parsons Family

Ey, last Christmas, our tjommies and the famdam parked off at our place for a braai, a few toots and some lekker boerewors. After a (dunno what bex is?) we checked the gifts, chowed the lank choklits, rusks and lekkertjies. Then we phuza'd one time a few dumpies and Ma gooi'd a serious floermoer after Pa and Steve bliksem'd each other.

Hows that? :ilikeit:

I felt like doing a funny walk and saying:"I'm going like this"...funny walk, funny shaking of the head, he he

That cracked me up. I can imagine. :ilikeit:

3. Are these terms related: chuck a sickie; chuck a spaz; chuck a U-ey?

Chuck a sickie is call in to work sick and chuck a U-ey is make a U-turn

In the afternoon last Christmas the relatives arrived for a BBQ, some ??????? and a few sausages. After a bit of a ?????? and a lie down we opened the presents, ate all the chocolates, biscuits and sweets. Then we drank a few tins of beer and Mum did her ????? and Dad and Steve had an argument and a fight.

5. Macca, Chooka and Wanger are driving to Surfers in their Torana. If they are travelling at 100 km/h while listening to Barnsey, Farnsey and Acca Dacca, how many slabs will each person on average consume between flashing a brown eye and having a slash?

A Torana is a car that was made by Holden. Barnsey is a singer called Jimmy Barnes and Farnsey is also a singer called John Farnham. Acca Dacca is a band called ACDC. A slab is a carton of beers. Flashing a brown eye is having a number 2 and having a slash is having a number 1.

7. I've had a gutful and I can't be fagged. Discuss

I've had enough and can't be fooled.

A wedgie is when someone puts their finger up your backside.

11. What are the ingredients in a rissole?

A rissole is a 'frikadel' or meat ball.

Bite the 2 ends off a Tim Tam, dip the one end in the coffee and suck the coffee through from the other end. When the Tim Tam gets soggy from the coffee, suck it into your mouth and eat it.

15. When you go to a bring- your-own-meat barbie can you eat other people's meat or are you only allowed to eat your own?

I'd like to know the answer to this one!!!

Beetroot

17. Do you own or have you ever owned a lawn mower, a pair of thongs, an Esky or Ugg boots?

Thongs are flip flops or beech tongs, an Esky is a cooler box (Esky is the manufacturer's name of a cooler box. Just for interest, the Kiwis call a cooler box a chilly bin). Ugg boots are those soft, I think, cow hide boots with wool inside.

18. Is it possible to "prang a car" while doing "circle work"?

Is it possible to have an accident while doing doughnuts

22. What does sinkin piss at a mates joint and getten para mean?

Having drinks (beer) at a friend's place and getting drunk (paralytic)

I'm sure your boss will be impressed with how much Aussie you know for the short time you've been here.

Let us know what he has to say!

SAS

A wedgie is when someone puts their finger up your backside.

[

:holy: I hate to tell you but a wedgie definitely does not involve any fingers up bums.

How can I describe this without being too crass -

A wedgie is when you grab on to somebody's underwear and pull updwards. (in extreme cases you pull it over their heads)

Or a wedgie is when your undies get caught between your butt cheeks.

Guest Bronwyn

To Chunder is to upchuck. :ilikeit:

And the spelling!!! The whole country has bastardised the work 'earned' to 'earnt'.

As in: " He earnt $50,000 last year". It even appears in financial manuals (I know, I am studying Financial Planning)

And veggies has one 'g' here. "Eat your vegies until you chunder!"

And when people ask ' How are you going?" I cannot resist saying "Fine, and you?". I have tried and tried to stop.

That really puts them off. They look at you as if you are mad. :holy:

Also you do not "Fetch" your kids from school. Only dogs fetch sticks. You can, however pick up or collect your kids from school.

I can still picture DH disgustedly picking the beetroot out of his hamburger the other day at Hogs Breath Cafe. He said, "Who the hell would put beetroot in a hamburger?" Hehe! :D

But I now want to know whether I can eat other people's meat at a barbie or only my own??? :ilikeit: Anyone?

Edited by Bronwyn

:holy: I hate to tell you but a wedgie definitely does not involve any fingers up bums.

How can I describe this without being too crass -

A wedgie is when you grab on to somebody's underwear and pull updwards. (in extreme cases you pull it over their heads)

Or a wedgie is when your undies get caught between your butt cheeks.

Thanks for your explanation.

When I lived in New Zealand, the All Blacks had a game where the one guy put his finger up the other one's butt and it was headlines on TV and the newspapers there and they referred to it as a wedgie. This is where I got my understanding of it.

SAS