JUST ARRIVED

briggs

Hi everybody, first of all i would just like to say that you are all angels :ilikeit: disguised as human beings. I have been reading this website for about a year now and have picked up so many tips etc. Thank you to all of you. Just a small introduction to our journey, hubbby and I, originally from Cape Town, arrived in Sydney 2 weeks and 1 day ago from Germany where we lived for 6 yrs. It has been one hell of an emotional journey for me and we are so happy to be here. Finally our dream has come to fruition. We have been truly blessed as hubby and I received a 457 visa sponsership with a fantastic company who paid for full relocation(flight tickets, removals) an apartment in town for 3 months plus a hired car, paid medical for 3 months and even sorted out a laptop for him so that we could have contact with our family over the xmas period. Hubby starts work tomorrow. We have been literally looking at areas and property since we got here which has been quite stressful but i am sure we will find what we are looking for. I will keep my eyes open for any forthcoming get-together's where we could if possible join in to meet fellow safricans. All the best to everyone for 2008, hubby and I are living proof that dreams and miracles do happen, so don't lose faith, keep focusing on what you want and it will come to you.

Briggs

Hi saffer2

Thank you so much for offering, we are just not sure about areas and am so frustrated. We have been looking in Quakers Hill, Kellyville, Glenwood etc, basically the hills area and we want to buy as we are fed up with moving. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Our container left Germany 3 weeks ago so should be here in about 4-6 weeks i think, hubby must just look into it when he gets a chance so it does not leave us much time to find something.

briggs

Hi Briggs

Good to have you on board. It really seems like you hit the jackpot. Have a great time down under and keep us posted on how it all progresses for you from here

Nicki

Hi Briggs,

I live in Cherrybrook - also part of the Hills District and I can't speak highly enough of it, so have a look out this way as well.

A word of warning on buying so quickly though. I strongly recommend that you rent first and make sure that you are happy in the area / schools / transport etc. It's a very South African urge to buy immediately and I know too many people that have made the mistake. I'd recommend that you rather consider a lease for the first 12 months. Also, during that time, your hubby can maybe speak with his employers, who sound great, and find out if they are willing to sponsor his permanent residence. Have a look on the Immigration website for more info on ENS (Employer Nomination Scheme). Once you have PR, you qualify for a First Time Home Buyers grant of $7,000 as well as saving substantially on transfer fees if your purchase is under $600 (the first $500K is cost free and up top $600K, it works on a sliding scale. This represents a further saving of up to $25K!

Good luck and feel free to contact me on PM if you want to chat or get together sometime. I work fulltime but coffee and cake at weekends is always a winner :ilikeit:

Cheers

Ajay

Hi Nicki G

Thank you for the welcome, will keep you posted.

Hi Ajay

The company is sorting out permanent residency for us, its part of the contract. Hubby wants to buy, to be honest so did I(as we just want to feel settled, did not feel like that in Germany) but as time is going on i would prefer to rent first basically because I have not seen anything that has bitten me so will tell hubby tonight about the info you gave me and take it from there. Thank you so much for your offer of getting together, coffee will be great but will have to pass on the cake as I have just started Jenny Craig :ilikeit: (another dream come true for me-have eyed the website out for 4 years-not mad just crazy)but will definitely give you a shout in a week or two if thats okay with you.

ciao b

sorry i meant we did not feel settled in Germany at all.

ciao b

Hi Ajay

Just wanted to let u know that we are taking your advice and are going to rent first. I feel such a weight lifted off my shoulders. Cherrybrook is lovely but unfortunately not much to rent there but have managed to fine a couple of places in Castle Hill. The realestate agents have yet to get back to us. Some still on holiday. Also another question i have is about the documentation that one needs to take with you to get a place, i know that we need our visas, passports, double rent plus a letter of recommendation from a landlord, but we dont have that because we own our own house in Germany so what now? What could we take instead?

ciao b

Hi Briggs,

I really think that you've made the right decision :holy:

You shouldn't need a recommendation from your landlord - if you give one or two local references, that will suffice. Your husband's employer could be one, and if you know one other person, they can be the second. Here at my company, we sponsor plenty people and they generally give me as a reference and then another colleague and that has always been sufficient.

Castle Hill is also a lovely spot - you're certainly making all the right choices :lol:

Cheers

Ajay

Hi Ajay

Just wanted to let u know that we are taking your advice and are going to rent first. I feel such a weight lifted off my shoulders. Cherrybrook is lovely but unfortunately not much to rent there but have managed to fine a couple of places in Castle Hill. The realestate agents have yet to get back to us. Some still on holiday. Also another question i have is about the documentation that one needs to take with you to get a place, i know that we need our visas, passports, double rent plus a letter of recommendation from a landlord, but we dont have that because we own our own house in Germany so what now? What could we take instead?

ciao b

Hi Briggs,

I really think that you've made the right decision :holy:

You shouldn't need a recommendation from your landlord - if you give one or two local references, that will suffice. Your husband's employer could be one, and if you know one other person, they can be the second. Here at my company, we sponsor plenty people and they generally give me as a reference and then another colleague and that has always been sufficient.

Castle Hill is also a lovely spot - you're certainly making all the right choices :lol:

Cheers

Ajay

Hi Briggs

Welcome to Australia!! I am also living in Cherrybrook, and have been here for 6 weeks now, so its all new to me as well. So far I love it, especially enjoyed the first few weeks exploring what's out there. I get so excited when I discover a new shop, or a short cut to get home ect!! Let us know when you have found something, will be great to get together.

If you need anything, just PM me. I am still at home....trying to find a job at the moment, so have plenty of spare time on my hands

Good luck!!

Robyn

Hi Robyn

Thanks so much will definitely get in touch. How did you guys find your place in Cherrybrook. Have been on Realestate.com.au /domain/myhome etc. i am all housed out. :blink: The ones that i have seen i have phoned for only to find out that they have been rented out but have not been taken off their websites which is also frustrating. Maybe hubbs and i should just go into an estate agent tomorrow late afternoon well i have to wait till he gets home from work. I also want to start looking for a job but only in a couple of months like June/July. Found out yesterday our container arrives on 17th Jan and then is in customs for 2 weeks so we can rent from 1st Feb so time is short. I also adore the shops here and the weather is too die for well compared to Germany anyway. My friends there tell me it is snowing at the moment. Oh i remember those days!!!!! :whome:

Ciao b