Share your Christmas Day!

Mara

Hi to All

Here are some pictures of our Christmas in Melbourne Australia, please share some of yours. :ilikeit:

Our Christmas Tree 2007

Lunch Table 2007

Family & Friends 2007

Wow - you really went all out with the table decor - looks FAB!

Haven't downloaded our pics of our day yet, but will probably do so tomorrow.

PS - that's an impressive cat-scratching post collection in the background! :ilikeit:

Mara, like Gizmo said what a fabulous table and the Christmas tree with the little train around it!!! Love it!!!

I also noticed the cat's corner!!! You must love you furry friends a lot!!

Looks like you had a great day!

Ours was lovely too although we were just the 4 of us. Peaceful and lots a lovely eats.

Mara, your table is beautiful. I am not very good at decorating tables and such. But here is our Christmas dinner. It was this year just my husband and I but we still enjoyed it. Christmas dinner in my house must be something lamb, becuase the rest of the year we eat mostly beef. This year it was a boneless lamb shoulder with some veggies, tamato and baked patato. The desert was souskluitjies.

Regards,

Retha

Edited by Retha_hhr

Thanks for the compliments about my Christmas table, I try my best and love getting out all the bits and pieces.

The pussycat scratching posts? Welllllllll.. when we were designing the house, and making the necessary changes, we added on a sunroom which is aptly called the 'pussycat palace' as it was specifically and specially added, just for the two of them.

You are completely right Nilo, I love all animals, but especially cats and as we do not have children at home anymore these are our two kids with fur coats!

Retha....my mouth is watering.....souskluitjies.....mmmm....lekker!

We had roast lamb, glazed ham, chicken, rice, cauliflower with cheese sauce, beans with onion and potato, roast pumpkin with cinnamon and sugar, peas and of course onion gravy. For desert we had 'my' trifle (special recipe) and also strawberries with icecream. In total there were 13 of us for lunch.....just a few this year....we have been known to host up to 32 people!

Hi Mauritz

Just looked at your post.. sounds like you had a fantastic day.. I just love Christmas... and all that goes with it!

Hi Mara

I thought that the kitchen and dining area looked familar :unsure: and is that Selwyn on the far right ?

We had a quiet Christmas this year, with just my and Tracy's mothers joining us for lunch. Although we were very concious of the fact that this is probably our last Christmas in Cape Town for a while, we nonetheless had a lovely day.

Regards,

Scott

post-829-1198708149.jpg

Hey Mara, that was really a superb spread you put on well done, did the kitties get some roast chook?

I was thinking to all out there a please dont take offence as none is meant as most of us on this board celebrate Christmas but should we the ones that dont and have other festivals to celebrate put a photo on the board we we have our special festivities so this is what I propose

I would like to if there is enough interest is to have some photos of when we do Thanksgiving (dependent on if we are still in the good ole USA) sorry didnt do them this time so we will share our thanksgiving day with SAs SAAussie Aussie etc next november

and also we celebrate Chanukah also known as the festival of lights (again sorry didnt do photos ) next December

What would others like to do?

Edited by NorCalAussie

All good NCA I can not see any reason why not!!

Wanted to ask why you don't celebrate Christmas but thought it might be embarrassing for you to have to do the whole explanation thing!! You know what us humans are like, a little difference and we're all up in arms!! LOL !

So you guys are Hindu?Would be very interesting to know why Chanukah and what you do, traditionally. We learn something new EVERY day!! I love learning!

All good NCA I can not see any reason why not!!

Wanted to ask why you don't celebrate Christmas but thought it might be embarrassing for you to have to do the whole explanation thing!! You know what us humans are like, a little difference and we're all up in arms!! LOL !

So you guys are Hindu?Would be very interesting to know why Chanukah and what you do, traditionally. We learn something new EVERY day!! I love learning!

Actually babe were Jewish but hey I wouldnt mind learning about Divali the hindu festival of lights

OY that would be another experience to add to the book of lifes lessons

but I will I promise post abit on Chanukah

Love Shar

Hi Mara,

We did not make an effort with the decoration of our table ( it was Etienne’s turn), but our food and bubbly was divine. We enjoyed venison pie, pork neck roll and smoke gammon with roasted veggies.

Lizette’s parents shared our Christmas day with us in Cape Town. This may be a photo to cherish for the next year to come.

Your table looks superb though. It seem like you enjoyed the day!

post-3080-1198783055.jpg

Nice idea Mara! We had a quieter one this year, with my sister and her family and Riekie with her family. We feasted on prawn skewers, roast turkey with pork/onion/sage stuffing, glazed ham and a selection of salads. We thought this struck a good balance between the traditional Christmas lunch and the Australian seafood version! To add some real South African flavour, Riekie made the most amazing Malva pudding and a Tipsy Tart, which we served with double thick cream and custard. I can feel my arteries clogging just typing that!I made homemade egg-nog for the first time as well (yum!) and we had a bottle of champagne for good measure too!

Hope those that celebrate Christmas had an equally amazing day!post-16-1198789931.jpg

post-16-1198789826.jpg

Hi Starfish, yes, Selwyn and Adele spent Christmas Day with us. We make an effort every year to include some of the "first Christmas spent in Aus" SA's.... makes our day and hopefully eases their pain of not being with family and friends. We also had Nicolette and Warren with us, they had only been here about 10 days.

NCA, I see no reason why all holidays cannot have a write-up, I for one love to see how others celebrate their special holidays!

Etienne & Lizette, your Christmas lunch sounds oh so delicious..and you are right, I often still think back to our last Christmas in SA and the huge gathering of family! So yes, that photo is sure to become a very precious item!

Eish Ajay, how beautiful your table looks...and as for that desert supplied by Dedrei....oh my, oh my, how "lekker" was that!

Thanks to all that have posted their photo's, I loved the responses!

NCA how stupid of me LOL!!! You see LOTS of education still needed!! Okie dokie so you'r from the "Chosen nation" that I do know because the bible says so! So please elaborate for us on your ceremony.

Ajay, I know that the eggnogg thing is American, or do I? Do you have any info?

Hi Nilo,

I wasn't sure where eggnog came from - I just googled it and according to Wiki, it probably originated in England and then crossed the Atlantic in the 18th century, where it was popularised in America. Who knows?? What I can tell you is that it was absolutely yummy - and easy to make too! Try it next year :ilikeit:

Google!!! I forgot to do wat I allways advise others to do!!!

Tasted some "shop" eggnogg and it was not bad at all, I suppose the homemade version is much better.

Thanks for the info.

Hi guys

Hierso is bietjie pics van ons krismis. Was so lekker.

Mara daai boud van jou was so devine en so sag. Mense was mal daaroor!

post-2-1198802248.jpgpost-2-1198802260.jpg

post-2-1198802272.jpg

post-2-1198802299.jpg

post-2-1198802325.jpg

Hi Dedrei, I am so glad the 'boud' turned out so well, I must admit, whenever I make it, there is rarely any left!

I just absolutely love the Christmas pups....wish I could get my two cats to sit still long enough with a hat on so that I could get a photo...no hope of that!

Looks like a good time was had by all! Totally finished and resting at the end of the day...man and friend alike!

Pragtig Shiela2Oz, jou tafel lyk fantasties, ek hoop dat jy jou laaste Kersfees saam met bekendes terdee geniet het!

100_3792.jpg

100_3787.jpg

100_3784.jpg

Hier is ons s'n ook. Dit was my seun se beurt om die tafel te dek en hy het sommer die smoked salmon voorgereg ook gemaak. Delicious Tasmanian salmon! Hy het ook die kersboom gedoen. Hy het belsuit om vir die minimalistiese "look" te gaan :ilikeit:

Ons het heerlike prawns en mango sosaties geeet en ook die salm en kase en vrugte ens. Dis maar waarvan ons hou. Dis nou Oukersaand. Dan op Kersdag het ons heerlike skaapboud en sommer 'n stuk beesfilet ook met gebraaide aartappels, bone met uie en aartappels (snap, Mara! :ilikeit: ) en dan geroosterde groente (Spaanse uie, groenpeper, knoffel en wortels) Mmmmmmm! G'n wonder my klere pas nie meer so lekker nie :ilikeit:

Edited by Annette

Hi Annette, dit lyk alles pragtig. Glo my wanneer dit by die 'afdek' van die Kersboom kom, dan wens ek myne was van die minimalistiese soort. Dit neem my omtrent 'n halwe dag om die boom te behang en 'n hele dag om dit aftehaal. Sien elke ornament het sy eie dosie en 'n spesifieke een daarby, so ek moet soek tot ek die regte een het. Gelukkig gee ek nie om nie, dit is alles vir my deel van die heerlike Kersgety! Die groot rede vir die boom is die feit dat as jy bo in ons straat indraai, dan sien jy die boom in die venster, lyk te mooi!

Ons is ook baie lief vir geroosterde groente, veral die pampoen met kaneelsuiker op gesprinkel!

Dankie vir jou fotos ek het dit regtig baie geniet!