Need to escape

Gremlin

Hi Gremlin,

By all means take your CV, even if it's on a USB flash drive or something, that will help too. If you think you may have a problem printing it out over there, maybe just put a few copies of it into an A4 envelope and post it over to friends/family already in Oz. The customs okes don't have time to go through the contents of your flash drives or anything like that anyway :ilikeit:

Also, if you can set up a few interviews before you leave, that'll expedite things. Then you can concentrate on the interviews yourself instead of worrying about actually getting them once over there, especially if you're short of time. Most companies I spoke to before heading over there for an LSD (and interviews) were more than happy to set something up, since it's no real skin off their noses to take an hour out of their time to chat to you. It costs them nothing (you're paying for the trip). I used to get up at midnight (9am Sydney/Melbourne time, it's off-peak, costs just under R1/minute) and make phone calls for 2-3 hours, picking job offers off seek.com.au and other job sites (*hint* contact companies directly if you can, recruitment agencies will always take your details but won't be as driven to call you back if they find something).

I had to get over my fear of cold-calling complete strangers, but they're so polite and nice to you, and so helpful and enthusiastic that it doesn't take long :whome:

Those "silly little letters" are incredibly useful as well. The Aussies are all about verification as well (in my experience), so letters of service (and positive references) are very very useful, so don't discount them. They may not ask you for them up front, but have the details ready, in case they do ask. You can always add the contact details for referees as an addendum to your CV.

Check out some of the different visa types at www.immi.gov.au. I think a 457 (working visa) is probably your best bet.

In terms of cost to relocate, it's based on your position, and the kind of visa you'd get, and whether a company willing to sponsor you would be willing to pay a chunk of it, whether you could stay with friends or family when you first get there etc. I wouldn't want to hazard a guess at this point as to what it will cost you.

Be positive, where there's a will, there's a way! :)

Edited by wislon

I guess I was blunt.

I was thinking of your kids and their likelihood of getting harmed, which is not such a far cry from reality from all accounts I hear about South Africa's deteriorating security . . . . . and you, a White woman on her own with two small kids.

It's not everybody's choice to be in that situation, I shouldn't think.

Anyhow . . . . now that you've summed up your situation, you can take steps in the right direction to get out of your present surroundings and start life off anew with opportunity, prospects and a certain degree of safety for yourself and your kids in the future. Smart move.

Troll thro the "Yellow Pages" of several Australian phone books online, listing law firms in country towns around Australia, especially in southern Queensland.

Send your resume off, together with a photo.

There must be hundreds of country towns around Australia with a law firm based in them, so it's a slim chance to get a job anywhere, but the overall probability isn't too bad, especially if you labour on your job experience.

Fred, who is Pippa's husband is a lawyer fresh from South Africa who has gone to south east Queensland. Get in touch with Pippa and especially Fred for down to earth practical advice on how to get a job with a law firm there. They've been there, done that!

Hopefully, one firm will offer you a position, but in the meantime, you can be pro-active in it all and get all the necessary paperwork done needed for a speedy 457 temp visa to be issued by the Australian High Commission if you get a positive reply.

It'll give you something to do during the boring period of waiting, because when the call comes, everything will be rushed cos they'll want someone there a.s.a.p.

If no reply occurs in three months, you might like to think of heading out to Australia and trying to "sell yourself" in person. You'll have to start buttering up your Dad for a loan, perhaps.

There's more than one South African I know who's managed to score a job that way and is now living the Australian lifestyle because of it.

Log on and take interest in how others are tackling the whole emigration process. It's a big job in itself with all its emotional ups and downs, not only in South Africa but when you get here for the first couple of years, at least.

Most of all, pray about your current circumstances, if you have a belief in a personal God.

Good advice Bob, but I think Gremlin is an accountant and not a lawyer? Or is it me that has the cat by the tail?

Good advice Bob, but I think Gremlin is an accountant and not a lawyer? Or is it me that has the cat by the tail?

Blimey!

I actually edited all the 'accountants' out and replaced them with 'lawyers"

Do you reckon it's the first sign of me losing my marbles????? :ilikeit:

He he he....Accountants / Lawyers.....same difference.....

both do as little as possible and charge you as much as possible :(

Well....Ive got a horse that Im busy hanging onto for as long as possible and training up so that I have cash to fall back on when I need it. My horse is my life but she is replaceable and there are lots of horses in Oz....done alot of research, there is a huge horsey community. So I will be able to get a minimum of R25'000 for her, but Im hoping for more.

I cant believe there are such friendly people out there so willing to help. Thank you all!!!

I had to fill in a "Registration of birth" and "late registration of birth affidavit" and hand those in for Home Affairs to fax off to their H/O in Pretoria. Evidently they (H/O) lost 20'000 records......birth certificates, death certificates, marriage certificates etc. Lovely right???

Hi Gremlin

I had the same problem with my sons Birth Certificate, but luckily we didn't have to wait long after filling in the "late registration of birth affidavit". I know that in East London if you phone the lady in charge things happen...they can print your certificate on the same day. You also don't have to stand in a queues, we went into a little office at the side and filled in all the forms. So I would suggest phoning your local home affairs and asking to speak to person in charge. Then proceed to kick up a big fuss. Not sure if it will work there, but I know of a few instances where it has worked in East London.

As for the best route out of here:

We have found that using the job search sites, in most cases you already need to be eligible to work in australia, so you end up in a catch 22 situation; need a visa to get a job, but need the job to get a visa. Try having a look at www.aussiemigrant.com. They seem to be very geared to finding you a job with a company that will sponsor you. I know they have a branch in Pietermaritzburg. I have never dealt with that branch, but in general I have been very impressed with them and they are very professional and helpful. I think they might be quite expensive if you end up using them, but it doesn't cost anything for your initial assessment, and they are very helpful. I think they will be your best bet to evaluate your particular situation and help you find your best option.

This is piece from the last email we received from them in December:

"If you've been interested in getting a job in Australia please give one of our consultants a call:

JHB: 016 366 0449

Pietermaritzburg: 033 347 2345

They will be able to arrange an interview and get you going on the process.

But for all your permanent residency VISA needs please keep in touch with me.

Things to remember:

1. Please send your CV's for an assessment even if you're not sure about your eligibility.

2. We're looking to re-assess the spouses of the tradespeople whom we have assessed in the past, so please send in your CV's even if we've assessed your husband or wife previously.

3. There are various VISA's to go on, so if you're desperate to go let's see what we can do for you." :ilikeit:

We haven't actually signed up with them, as we had already registered with another agent (which has been a nightmare), but my husband got a job offer through them (Which we declined for various reasons) and have just been so impressed with their service. We have had a lot of valuable input from them, they send us regular emails such as this one, and they are still looking out for jobs for us.....and we haven't paid them a cent. If we had to start over I would definitely start with them.

Give them a call....I am sure they will give you a good idea of what your options are.

Good Luck

Rose

Edited by Flash

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rose & Terry

Thanx for those details.

Ive been getting the same feedback from everyone that I have been speaking to and that is that you cannot get a job without a visa and you cannot get a visa without a job.

I have two very good family friends that live in Brisbane and although expensive, Im wondering if my best bet wouldnt be to dig into the budget and take a trip over there. Having setup a couple of interviews first as to not delay things.

Flights are quite expensive but not as bad as I thought they would be