Need to escape

Gremlin

Hi, my name is Lee-Ann van Heerden. Im a single Mom with two beautiful children. My daughter Jayme-Lee is 12 and my son Damon is 7 (both have their birthdays in April). We all still live......UnFoRtUnAtElY!!!........... in Scottburgh, South Africa.

Oh, Im 31 (but dont tell anyone ;-) ).

I work as an unqualified Accountant with over 10 years experience, having auditing experience as well. I ended up in this field....do the Maths....because I was 18 when Jayme-Lee was born and needed to accept my responsibilities. Im actually arty by nature though.

I own a stunning Thoroughbred mare which, when I move, is going to be heartbreaking to get rid of. My daughter is busy leasing a Boerperd gelding. So we thoroughly enjoy our horseriding. My son enjoys animals a bit smaller.....dogs....loves his German Shepherd.

Okay....so now that you know about my family and myself...let me tell you about my extended family.....

Im so sure that everyone on this forum is so sick and tired of hearing the same old story about "were so sick of the crime" and "were so sick of SA and....." blah blah fish-paste. I honestly, up until a year ago, was the last one to want to immigrate until the crime hit close to home.

I had my brothers ex-girlfriends raped..... She was having a braai with her friend, her brother and his friend. Three African men broke in and raped her and her friend repeatedly the entire night. Walking in and out the house eating their braai meat. The whole time asking her brother and his friend if they "enjoyed what they saw". (I dont want to mention her name) She is such a talented woman being a qualified Skipper and studying to be a Dive Master.

Then 50 mt's from our home in Freeland Park (suburb in little Scottburgh) some African men broke into a home and shot another man and killed him (Ettienne le Roux) in front of his 4 year old twin sons and his wife. All he had in his house were spear guns. We could hear the shots going off....could hear the little boys and his wife screaming.....

My daughter is taunted all the time....I think they are trying to get a reaction out of her. She is not a 'modern' 12 year old, she is still very immature for her age so doesnt wear boob-tube's or mini skirts etc. So, there is no reason for anyone to 'lust' over my 12 year old daughter....That is just sick!!! I am petrified and so scared that she is going to be grabbed and unimaginable things done to her. She jumped out of my car and ran into Spar to get some carrots for us, we were on the way to the horses. A Taxi driver hangs out the window and tries to call her over shouting "Hey sexy. Hey my honey. Come over here I want you!". She ran back to the car in a state. Then Jayme was in Pick 'n Pay with my Mom the other night and my Mom asked her to go 2 aisles down to get a box of custard.....she had an African man grab her arm and say "Aah, youre so beautiful I want you". She screamed and said "Leave me alone" and ran to the Manager.

Apart from that, Freeland Park is supposed to be the 'upperclass' area of Scottburgh. I live in the flat below my parents house. In Freeland Park we have on average three break-in's / week. That is confirmed, I can forward e-mails from the Freeland Park Neighbourhood Watch. I live in fear that our house is going to be next. Its a 50/50 situation.....50% are non-violent and the other 50% people get stabbed or shot. So do I want to be another statistic?

Then we get onto the jobs in this country......what future does this country hold for my daughter as a white female? And Im not even going onto my son as a white male! It used to be AA (Affirmative Action). Now it is BEE (Black Econimic Empowerment). So at least whites fell into the bracket before because Im sure everyone knows how the whole structure went of Blacks first, then Coloureds, then Indians then White females....White males featuring no-where. Now with BEE, we do not feature at all.

I have not had a permanent job since February 2005. In between jobs I sit at home for a month. Reason: I am not the right skin colour. And the best part is that Companies are not afraid to tell you that. I once again only have a fixed term Contract.

So the point Im trying to make: If I cannot find a job now...in 2007 (almost 2008)....how are my children going to find a job in 10 years time?

I have been struggling to get my son into a remedial school.....do you know what Gwen Mortay...the CEO of the Education Department turned around and told me??? "If he was black my Dear, I could get Damon in".

What have I done towards getting myself out of this Country? Well, I have registered myself on "seek.com.au", "seek.co.nz" for jobs as well as: "bestjobs.au", "australia.recruit.net", "jobs.search4.co.nz" just to name a few.

and been applying for jobs in Australia and in New Zealand. My first choice is Australia reason being my brother Mark and his wife land in Brisbane end of February 2008. My youngest brother Warren arrives there in March 2008 and my second youngest brother Steven is heading across there around June. All confirmed.

My brother Marks wife is a Nursing Sister so that is how they got across. Warren and Steven have a friend who is Australian called Rudi, they met him here when he came over on holiday and theyve become the best of mates. Warren is going over to study and Steven is going to work for Rudi's Dad.

Ive been applying for jobs and applying and applying and this has been since Aug '07. I have had no response so far. I would like to know, am I going about this wrong?

:whome:

Gremlin, I sincerely hope you manage to get a positive response on the job front, and that you're able to bring your family to Aus.

I don't really know what else to say - reading your post brings home some of the realities that many people we know have to face in SA - nobody should have to go through that - especially not children!!!

I can't think of anything that you're doing wrong as such, I can only imagine that the recruitment consultants see that you're abroad and they see "visa problems"... in terms that you're not over here already.

I guess an answer is not that easy. One would be to ring up and personally speak to consultants that are advertising the position. Ask questions, try to get as much info out of them as possible. This is an expensive route, being in SA, I know...

Is there any chance you can afford to visit Australia or New Zealand for a few weeks? That way you can tell agencies about your skills and experience, and then let them know you'll be in Aus or NZ for X amount of time. Try to arrange as many interviews for this time as possible, and hope for an offer coupled with an employer that will be willing to sponsor you...

That being said - I know, it's a risky, and costly approach...

Hiya,

I notice that a few of your family members are off to Australia... can't one of them sponsor you once they are there?

Good Luck, :ilikeit::ilikeit:

Lisabella

... can't one of them sponsor you once they are there?

I didnt know they could sponsor me?

Maybe not my two younger brothers as they are going over on a study visa and 2 year work permit but definitely my brother Mark as he is immigrating with his wife. I will look up family sponsor on the forum. Thanx for bringing that to my attention!!! :ilikeit:

Howzit "Gremlin" Lee Ann i have many friends on the coast and have hear of the strory you tell i am truly sorry that this had to happened!! ,i can offer the following advice ,we had applied for many jobs before getting a response from certain companies ,and the big mistake we made was not being ready with all the nessecary paper work that needed to be done ,as some of the the companies said to us how far are you with the immigration process and well you guessed it ,we had done nothing ,so i would suggest to carry on will applying for jobs don't get dispondent and in the mean time get all the paper work ready ,so when the time comes and it will!! you are one step ahead ,Good luck and if you need anything shout !!

Regards

Bradley

Hi Gremlin

If I understand correctly, you do not have any formal qualifications? If that is the case, I have no idea how you would pass the points test for permanent residence. I don't know if you would qualify for a work permit but please send a PM to either 'ptlabs' or 'fiona' as they will be able to clarify this for you.

My understanding is that you have to have a formal qualification for any visa type that you apply for, except perhaps the business visa, but for that you have to have proof of running your own business for many years, with money to set up another.

Hi Mara

Unfortunately Im only a quarter of a way through the degree. I served articles at an audit firm that is when I started studying but never completed the CA route, that was a couple of years ago.

I joined the private field as I fell pregnant with my son and needed more money and when youre doing articles you earn peanuts.

Its never been important really, up until now, for me to be qualified as a CA. Damn damn damn :ilikeit::ilikeit::(

Oh and as far as paperwork goes, Ive applied for passports and full birth certificates so far and the wait is on. I applied for Unabridged birth certificates last year August and when I went to check on if they were ready they told me that my they couldnt not find record of my son!!! I questioned this and they said his ID number is on the system and he is listed as my son under my name but they dont have any records as where he was born, who his parents are etc.

I had to fill in a "Registration of birth" and "late registration of birth affidavit" and hand those in for Home Affairs to fax off to their H/O in Pretoria. Evidently they (H/O) lost 20'000 records......birth certificates, death certificates, marriage certificates etc. Lovely right??? In the queue was another lady about to immigrate to Britain that Saturday and was waiting for a full Marriage Certificate to come through that had been 'lost' by H/O as well. She was besides herself :ilikeit:

Well. I still dont have my sons birth certificate. Still waiting. Its been over a year now!!! Passports...I lived in Joeys for the last year (from Sept 06 until Sept 07) and went into Home Affairs up there. The crime up there and the things that I saw is one other reason Im so much more motivated to get outta here. Well, I went into Home Affairs three times......stood in queue's for over an hour each time and the queue moved not more than five people forward before I lost my pluck and walked off. Waited until I arrived back in Scottburg. So only recently applied for passports for the kids and had to reapply for mine because its expired. They dont renew passports here anymore (recent thing), you have to apply for a new passport.

Gremlin, I am lost for words....

You have done a fair amount of homework, and it has been said that you must keep applying, maybe try broadening your search portfolio.

Apart from this, you are still young and have time to finish a degree or diploma.. you have the work experience.. You might need to do some careful planning, and use whatever means you can to get there. maybe an agent, altough expensive, is a good option to look into. there are agents on this forum.. use them..

Hi Gremlin

Once again, I suggest you send a PM to either 'ptlabs' or 'fiona' as I am sure either one of them will be able to tell you what your options are, if any.

If you are not sure how, click on members, top right, then type in either of their names, then you click on their name, it will take you to their home page, where you will have the option of either sending an email or a PM.

I had to fill in a "Registration of birth" and "late registration of birth affidavit" and hand those in for Home Affairs to fax off to their H/O in Pretoria. Evidently they (H/O) lost 20'000 records......birth certificates, death certificates, marriage certificates etc. Lovely right???

Hi G,

can understand youir frustration as the same thing happened with my youngest daughters' birth certificate :ilikeit: HOW!?! As she even has a passport? Then after checking all the others certificates on advice of another forum member, I discovered mistakes on my sons'!! "Red nou 'n volk"

Good luck with your mission into Oz, hope you find a quick and easy way. And we pray for your family's protection.

A x

I'm sorry, I can't offer any advice... only support.

I hope you come right.

((HUGE HUGS))

Hi Gremlin

We are applying from the uk but i am in a similar position as you being that i am a draughsman and therefore do not have a formal qualification. I have managed to get a job offer from a company in queensland and will be going over on a subclass 857 visa which is a work permit.

You will not be allowed to work in a city because you are not qualified so my advice to you is to start looking in the rural areas as the companies there will only be able to sponsor you for a position. If you look on the website www.immi.gov.au and look under work permits it will tell you in what areas companies can sponsor positions for overseas applicants. Hope that helps you.

Hi Gremlin

We are applying from the uk but i am in a similar position as you being that i am a draughsman and therefore do not have a formal qualification. I have managed to get a job offer from a company in queensland and will be going over on a subclass 857 visa which is a work permit.

You will not be allowed to work in a city because you are not qualified so my advice to you is to start looking in the rural areas as the companies there will only be able to sponsor you for a position. If you look on the website www.immi.gov.au and look under work permits it will tell you in what areas companies can sponsor positions for overseas applicants. Hope that helps you.

Hi Dave & mel,

This comment sound s a bit odd to me, as I do not have a diploma/ degree, have done numerous courses and have a number of years in my industry, and I have been sponsored by a Sydney based company for a position in Sydney. Are you sure about your info? :unsure:

Hi Mupersan

I have spoken to numerous migration agents here in the uk and they all told me that my best chance of getting a work permit approved was to look for work in the rural areas and to apply on the regional sponsored migration scheme. I do not know what work you do but as a draughtsman that was my only chance of getting to oz, maybe for different occupations there are different rules, i was only trying to help a little bit :unsure:

Gremlin

Your lack of qualifications or visa in my opinion would not be frowned upon by any possible employer, so dont let this aspect worry you. They need skilled workers here and clearly you are skilled in yr particular field. What you need to focus on is finding an employer that needs your skill set.

You are doing the right thing by searching through the sites you have mentioned, in addition google each major cities newspapers employment section Perth = "The West Australian".

Keep positive, you will find something soon.

Iron-gut :unsure:

Hi Gremlin,

We have been living in Australia since August, we moved from Freeland Park Scottburgh, we lived there for 3 years, lovely area just the crime, we eventually (after all the incidents you mentioned), had an outside alarm installed, we already had an inside alarm, just so we could know who was there before they even got in. The crime is just out of control there, I think it has something to do with all the building in the new extension.

All I can say is good luck, try your best to get out, investigate all avenues,etc, and we will be thinking of you. Say hi to Scottburgh for me, I so miss the views we had.

bye for now Jill

Hi Dave & mel,

This comment sound s a bit odd to me, as I do not have a diploma/ degree, have done numerous courses and have a number of years in my industry, and I have been sponsored by a Sydney based company for a position in Sydney. Are you sure about your info? :ilikeit:

Hi Scott,

On the 457 scheme, no formal qualification is necessary - as long as you can show 5 years experience in the sponsored position and obviously the position needs to appear on the SOL / ENSOL (which a suprising number do!)

Cheers

Ajay

Hi Gremlin,

A couple of other things that may help you:

1. Lack of formal qualifications isn't as bad as you might think, especially if you have several years experience doing what you do. I do not have a tertiary education qualification, but I have more than 10 years in my field (I'm a software developer). I had no problems getting interviews, and got a sponsorship/job offer in November, which I'm just waiting for the 457 to come through for.

2. Phoning the companies (recruitment agencies are good, but companies are better) and telling them you are available, the only thing holding you back from working for them is a visa sponsorship. They're even more interested if all they need to do is sort out the visa, and not pay for your actual relocation. Sending CVs doesn't work so well, they're only ever seen by a computer which strips out the keywords, especially if there's a lot of applicants. Making the phone calls shows you're interested. And don't become discouraged! The job market is a buyer's one over there, at the moment.

3. If you get the chance to go over there and do physical interviews, that's even better, tho it is a bit more expensive. You can do it on a holiday visa. You're not allowed to work on a holiday visa, but there's nothing to stop you getting together with a prospective employer to "chat about opportunities", if you get my drift. Just don't brandish your CV as you walk through customs :)

Do not lose hope. My mom always used to say "chance favours the well prepared". And it does!

Best of luck to you!

THANK YOU all for your positive feedback, pointers & tips!!! It is so appreciated!!

I wish I could thank all of you individually!

As you can see, I havent been on this website for quite a number of days because I was quite despondent after hearing that I basically needed a formal qualification. But now after hearing some positive feedback Im all guns again! Never loose hope and chin up!

I have silly little "letters of service" from the Companies where I have worked but what I did towards the end of last year is contact all my ex-bosses and ask them please to give me References, in writing of course.

I have never needed this before as you just give a name and contact number on your CV and the Employment Agencies do the rest for you. But my Dads friend says that there is evidently an Accounting Board?? in Australia that you can contact, provide all your references to and they will 'mark' / 'rate' you according to your expertise and you can the use this reference number when you apply for jobs in Australia.

Craig's brother is in the IT field and he did that, got his reference number as he doesnt have a formal qualification and is on his way over to Oz or is there already!

I somehow think that the only way would be for me to save up and get over to Oz and go and approach a couple of Companies when Im over there and see if I can secure a job. I wont need to take my CV with me as I can dowload it from my mail if I logon at an Internet Cafe over there. Or I can mail it to my friends in Sydney. Or my brother might be over there by then.

Does anyone have an idea of how much it costs to relocate?

Okay, let me start by saying....if I have a job offer in my hand for instance and come back to RSA.....and say I dont want them to pay for my relocation....where on this website can I look up how do I go about getting a VISA? And how much would it cost to get across etc?

[

I hi..why dont you join us for the picnic on saturday at the botanic gardens, see durban coffee club, if you want more details, just pm me, we are all looking forward to sharing ideas and hopes and fears with each other...i think most of us learn as we go, so dont feel alone in asking so many questions.....i think i've asked all the most dumb ones ....

lyall

Your incident of crime is familiar to me...

I have a property on the KZN South Coast, and have come to feel that the South Coast indigenous locals are the worst sort of creature of their kind in KZN. There seems to be a lack of pride as found in the traditional Zulu of the North Coast. Originally driven by poverty and desperation, the kind of crime you described is so entrenched in the lifestyle of so many it seems to have taken a bitter twist in the recent past, and became normal.

Life all over Africa is cheap, and self respect is minimal. The high AIDS death rate in this region seems welcome as there are simply too many mouths to feed for the non existent economy. The murder and rape of white holiday makers hits the news a lot harder than the actual facts behind the news.

As I struggle to sell my” investment opportunity" on this coast, I struggle more to keep a straight face as I so despise the region.

They smashed a large window again yesterday, knowing the house was empty, and stole the alarm system. Anyone want to buy a 4 BED, facebrick house, with Jacuzzi and sea views in Hibberdene – for R600K?.

Edited by Scatterling

Lee-Ann!

You're going to have to start getting serious with your life and direction it's been heading in.

The consequences of the lifestyle you've had up until now will have their impact on your two children, and you're waking up to that fact.

You've painted yourself into a corner. . . . no formal qualification at your age, nor man in your life to help you . . . . but there may be yet a way out.

You can get into Australia without qualifications, as long as you've had sufficient time "on the job".

There are enough folk on this website to substantiate that.

You will not be able to apply for a permanent visa . . . . . at least not straight away . . . . so a temporary visa seems your only option and hope the employer will sponsor you for permanent residency in Australia down the track after working for them for a couple of years or so.

Country areas around Australia ("regional areas") are often the more willing to sponsor somebody from outside Australia as they know they're least likely to attract an Aussie to work for them "in the sticks".

Look for work in your field in the country towns dotted across Australia, putting a photograph in your CV (or "resume" as they call it in Australia) . . . . they like to see who they're dealing with.

In the meantime, keep applying for all the necessary paperwork needed to get out.

If you don't know what's needed, ask on this website.

I was sitting around the table on New Year's Eve, at my sister-in-law's place, talking to a couple who own a restaurant in Coober Pedy, an opal mining town in the Outback of South Australia. It was rather interesting what was said about Australians not wanting to work there and the need to look overseas for domestic helpers, cleaners, etc. so I know there is work out there.

It all depends on how desperate you are.

Alternatively, you can apply for a course in an Australian University to either finish or complete a whole degree, at the end of which you can apply for permanent residency easily as long as your character and health are good. You may have to ask your Mum and Dad for a loan to help you finance the full fees of an "Overseas Student" at Uni. A student visa allows you work in the meantime and earn up to $20 000 a year on the side, helping to keep yourself.

Edited by Bob

Lee-Ann!

You're going to have to start getting serious with your life and direction it's been heading in.

The consequences of the lifestyle you've had up until now will have their impact on your two children, and you're waking up to that fact.

You've painted yourself into a corner. . . . no formal qualification at your age, nor man in your life to help you . . . . but there may be yet a way out.

You can get into Australia without qualifications, as long as you've had sufficient time "on the job".

There are enough folk on this website to substantiate that.

You will not be able to apply for a permanent visa . . . . . at least not straight away . . . . so a temporary visa seems your only option and hope the employer will sponsor you for permanent residency in Australia down the track after working for them for a couple of years or so.

Country areas around Australia ("regional areas") are often the more willing to sponsor somebody from outside Australia as they know they're least likely to attract an Aussie to work for them "in the sticks".

Look for work in your field in the country towns dotted across Australia, putting a photograph in your CV (or "resume" as they call it in Australia) . . . . they like to see who they're dealing with.

In the meantime, keep applying for all the necessary paperwork needed to get out.

If you don't know what's needed, ask on this website.

I was sitting around the table on New Year's Eve, at my sister-in-law's place, talking to a couple who own a restaurant in Coober Pedy, an opal mining town in the Outback of South Australia. It was rather interesting what was said about Australians not wanting to work there and the need to look overseas for domestic helpers, cleaners, etc. so I know there is work out there.

It all depends on how desperate you are.

Alternatively, you can apply for a course in an Australian University to either finish or complete a whole degree, at the end of which you can apply for permanent residency easily as long as your character and health are good. You may have to ask your Mum and Dad for a loan to help you finance the full fees of an "Overseas Student" at Uni. A student visa allows you work in the meantime and earn up to $20 000 a year on the side, helping to keep yourself.

Yup Bobs right , Lee-Anne, Matey you just need to get yourself assessed by the CPA or other accounting body for a MODL based occupation .. what you more than likely will need to do is a RPl= recognition of prior learning and that hopefully will give you the points towards your visa.. I am sure the are others who have had accounting/auditing experience but not a degree who have done the RPL with success maybe they could assist just and idea

Edited by NorCalAussie

Yup Bobs right , Lee-Anne, Matey you just need to get yourself assessed by the CPA or other accounting body for a MODL based occupation .. what you more than likely will need to do is a RPl= recognition of prior learning and that hopefully will give you the points towards your visa.. I am sure the are others who have had accounting/auditing experience but not a degree who have done the RPL with success maybe they could assist just and idea

Have you got any contact details for me please? i.e. for the CPA in Oz or the Accounting Body so that I can contact them.

Ive been waiting for Craig to give me the address since Nov'07....think he's been a little busy. (Its like when you move to the coast....everone wants to visit)

Thank you

Sorry Bob, my apologies. Completely missed your reply.

Im not single by choice, my ex left me really bitter and with alot of debt but that is history.

I dont mind working out of the City but hoping to stay quite close to Brisbane as that is where all my friends and family have settled. Its quite stupid that I get out of this country and settle where I have no one but myself and my two kids.....yeah we will be safe but unhappy.

I dont mind small towns as you can see from my profile....grown up in them. And I currently own a horse, bearded dragon and a corn snake. But had ball pythons, burmese python and red tailed boa before so love my reptiles. Will fit right in there

Edited by Gremlin