SA Family on Gold Coast

Guest Ninja Turtle

Guest Ninja Turtle

Hi Everybody,

Welcome to Australia 'The land of the lie'

Our Family arrived on 1 March 2007, and we are living in Hope Island on the Gold Coast. In a nutshell we have experienced what most SA families have... a daily rollercoaster ride.

We have been ripped off by fellow South Africans, and Australians alike. Watch out for the SA business networks, looking for your money... There is a reason why these people are so friendly. Please take note, that in OZ you get nothing for nothing.

Even replacing a watch battery will set you back $15 ... R90. In SA that would be "R15 for the battery sir, can I fit it for you, there is no charge tho fit the battery"

So you might say that SA has slave labour, and therefore things are cheaper (BTW: oz also has it's low lives, but unfortunately they are not colour coded for easy identification, and they earn the same money as you!), but I will say that in OZ there is a very significant element missing, and that is human kindness.

In SA Human kindness and courtesy still come before profit a lot of the time (Pick n Pay checkout staff definitely excluded). Who ever imagined being charged for tomato sauce with your meal? How petty and ridiculous? Do they really need that extra 30c? Does it affect the bottom line so much that it keeps them in business? Work it into the cost for goodness sakes, and stop being ridiculous.

Last friday the results of the inquest into the price of petrol was released. The findings were that there was "no reason found why petrol prices rise on a wednesday afternoon and fall on a monday". "It is a phenomenon that is unique to Australia". This is the official finding.

We all know the reason, people get paid on wendesday, and for those people who live from week to week, they have to fill up at the higher price, and therefore it affects the poor people the most. Why does the government not do something about it, it's so unproductive that people have to queue on a particular day, and then the pumps are quiet for the rest of the week?

Anyway... I could go on for hours, but in a nutshell, if you are a South African living in OZ (I do not believe in saffers by the way), get ready to downscale in a big way from what you are acustomed to. Even after you have converted your Rands to Dollars and you now have 15% left in Dollars, you will still pay double the price of the item cost in SA.

Examples:

Bottled Water: SA = R5.00, OZ $2 (R12.00)

Coke Tin: SA = R5.00, OZ $2.50 (R15.00)

Ice Cream Cone: SA = R5.00, OZ $3.00 (R18.00)

Cuppuchino: SA R12.00, OZ $3.50 (R21.00)

40ft container ZA to OZ R60 000

40ft container OZ to ZA $20 000 (R120 000)

How is this possible? it's the same thing just going the other way!

The only thing that is cheaper here is a car. That is it, virtually everything else is double the price that it is in SA. Even salaries are cheaper here!

So if you want any information, or just to let off steam by sharing silmilar stories about your experiences, then get in touch. I am by no means a depressed cynic, I am just a very realistic person who is very analytical by nature (I am in IT, did you guess?).

I like to compare things all the time just to see if I am winning or losing with my little gamble I have taken, but ultimately I have no desire to go back to SA at this point, as it seems that JZ has the white population in a frenzy, and I have had enough of that paranoid lifestyle.

If things were to improve significantly in SA, I would be back in flash, but I think, as we all know, the SA we have left behind no longer exists, and going back there would be like going back to your first house. When you get there you will again experience all the reasons why you left, and the whole exercise will be in vain.

In life you have to move forward, and somtimes you have to take a few steps backwards, to get a run up to make a flying leap forwards. That is the way I see it right now.

CIAO BABY

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• no longer interested

• Mara

• Dax

• Gizmo

Dear Ninja Turtle - sorry that you seem to have had some pretty bad experiences since you got here. You are living in an expensive neck of the East coast too. However, that said , For the most part, Ozzies are pretty friendly people if you just put yourself out a little. After all, they are letting us in and immigration with its attendent woes does get them wondering just what we want from them.

I have found that Christmas time is a time when you start to feel the lack of family around and the friends and you do question why??? But I am glad to see that you can see that there is little point in returning. Try to look forward and not back. Don't analyse every last thing and hey - a can of coke up here in Gladstone - if you buy in bulk from Big w only costs about 55c!

Of course our lifestyles have to change - stands to reason - unless you are a member of the elite - but I have never been so glad to live somewhere where I do not have to lock the car door when driving, walk the streets with my wallet in my hand and not with my bag wrapped endlessly round my arm and tucked up under it. I am unbelievably thankful that I have access to clean hospitals with nursing staff who care, that my home when I return at the end of the day and discover that I forgot to lock the front door is still full of all my stuff - so be thankful for what you have gained and forget the niggling things. Live your new life!

Hi NT

All the things you have stated are absolutely true. But the longer I'm here the less it seems to bother me.

Edited by Yvonne

Hi NT

All the things you have stated are absolutely true. But the longer I'm here the less it seems to bother me.

The GC is expensive but hey it the choice you made please dont slag Aus because is it not fitting in with your requirements what ever they are .. the choice is simple either adapt or move out .. there is a choice go to Dubai and earn money there or the states or wherever.. just dont F$$$g Whing

NT

Why do you still bother to work out how much something would have cost in RSA? You will just make yourself crazy in the long run or just sit at home and whine, doing nothing fun. Please, we all earn dollars and dollar wise, things are quite cheap.

Can I perhaps give you some cheese to go with the whine? :ilikeit:

Carelene

Edited by da_feemail

NT

Can I perhaps give you some cheese to go with the whine? :whome:

:ilikeit:

Hi NJ,

I hear what you are saying, and to the other two comments from the others on the forum, what happened to freedom to whinge? Surely he is intitled to his opinion.

I think it is a good thing to tell the truth so the people from SA still coming over can realise it isn't the land of milk and honey and you are going to have to work at it to make a success and settle.

Well said NJ.

Sometimes the truth hurts.

bye for now D and J.

Guest Die Carelsen's

Ninja Turtle,

I agree with you things are expensive and NO ONE ever mention this on the forum. I think it is very important that it is mentioned on this forum so that people have a realistic picture of what they are getting themselves into and prepare before coming over. For example buy a new watch battery before coming over (maybe a few to last you a few years :whome: ) and glasses and bedding etc. Buying this side is really expensive. This is the point of this whole forum anyway to prepare people so they know exactly what they are getting themselves into.

Here in Perth we buy a paper on a weekly basis - called the Quakka ($2.50 - R15.00), similar to the Junk Mail, but what is nice is that they have a section where they give stuff away for FREE, from Jacuzzi's to houses and you can almost furnish a house for FREE if you just get it early enough.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thankfull for having the upportunity to be here and do not want to return to RSA ever but I would have appreciated a little bit more honesty as to how expensive it really is in OZ and then I would have been better prepared when packing the container.

Oh by the way you pay per kg for watermelon about $1.00 to $1.80. Mangoes is about $3.80 ea. Honey is cheaper than in RSA and I'm very happy because we don't eat sugar and it set us back a bit in RSA and now we get it cheaper here. So not all bad. It's on special here by us now $6.00 for a 1kg and normal price is $8.00. In RSA we were used to R56.00 per kg at Fruit & Veg.

Tools are very expensive this side so make sure you get what you need and pack in container. Hubby is so chuffed that he bought a new grinder before coming over as his packed up just before we left. Make sure you bring you allowed quoata alcohol, for example J & B is $38.00 for 700ml and a case of bear (24) $40.00. It does help to buy specials and house brands, that save one some money.

Parking in Perth CBD is a rip off. $6.00 - $12.00 per hour. We dont want to buy the bay, just park there. To swim in the municipal swimming pool, don't get me wrong it is nice but it will set you back $4.40 per adult, at least kids under 4 is FREE.

The TV is nice, so need to worry about Foxtel (DSTV). It is wonderful how safe one feels here and the people aren't all bad, but the ESTATE AGENTS are bastards, we only got our house by pure luck - or no.. WITH THE HELP OF GOD... We drove past the house and noticed that there were people working inside and just asked if we could have a quick look around and it was the owner. He then said after chatting for about two hours that he is happy with us and if we want the house we should just get our offer in with the agent and he will be more than happy to have us as tenants. Of course the house agent wasn't to happy that she was bypassed but there wasn't much she could do. Otherwise we would still be house hunting.

Just remember that salaries are quite high and therefore you don't have many shop assistant standing around waiting to assist you, so you just have to find your own way when looking for something. But the few that are there aren't really helpful or educated in dealing with customers or even give you product information. OZ can do with some educating on this matter. RSA the client service was much much better, and then we use to complain about that as well.

It's not that I want to bitch and moan, I just feel that the whole goal of the forum is to prepare people and inform people as to what to expect and then one is better prepared and equipped to deal with the shock.

Otherwise we enjoying our stay in this beautiful country and the thing is we tend to forget real quick how bad things really are in South Africa, and once the honeymoon is over one tend to forget how good we have it here in OZ.

Just my thoughts.

Tania

PS. They only wanted to charge us $7.00, this was the cheapest we could get after shopping around, nogal said that it was for his expertise that's why it's so expensive. Murphy's law - damn thing stopped working they day after we landed - still haven't fitted the new battery. Trying to recharge the old one.......... :ilikeit:

Hi Tania.

I couldn't have said it better myself, I agree with everything you say, to prepare the people coming over here, I was also unprepared for how costly things were here. Had I known I would have put more into my container, as there was still space.

bye for now, Jill

Hi NJ,

I hear what you are saying, and to the other two comments from the others on the forum, what happened to freedom to whinge? Surely he is intitled to his opinion.

Yes everyone is entitled to have their opinion however he has had a choice and he has not been here like yourself for very long and therefore it appears that to make a realistic observation in a short space of time is just un realistic

I think it is a good thing to tell the truth so the people from SA still coming over can realise it isn't the land of milk and honey and you are going to have to work at it to make a success and settle.

Well said NJ.

Sometimes the truth hurts.

I dont think that telling the truth is wrong at all however whos version are we getting here ? His appears to be skewed by what he has in real life and what he hasnt not gained he himself mentioned taking a gamble"

I dont have any problem with 1. freedom of opinion - however if it is negative I dont think that that adds any value to those who have intentions of immigrating 2. The truth doesnt hurt I just dont see the point of slagging the hand of the new country who invited you to stay by whatever means you qualified to get in

Ninja Turtle,

I agree with you things are expensive and NO ONE ever mention this on the forum. I think it is very important that it is mentioned on this forum so that people have a realistic picture of what they are getting themselves into and prepare before coming over. For example buy a new watch battery before coming over (maybe a few to last you a few years :ilikeit: ) and glasses and bedding etc. Buying this side is really expensive. This is the point of this whole forum anyway to prepare people so they know exactly what they are getting themselves into

Here in Perth we buy a paper on a weekly basis - called the Quakka ($2.50 - R15.00), similar to the Junk Mail, but what is nice is that they have a section where they give stuff away for FREE, from Jacuzzi's to ouses and you can almost furnish a house for FREE if you just get it early enough.

Why dont you go to http://perth.craigslist.com.au/ or www.freecyle.org and save your $ if $2.50 is too much to spend

Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for having the opportunity to be here and do not want to return to RSA ever but I would have appreciated a little bit more honesty as to how expensive it really is in OZ I would have appreciated a little bit more honesty as to how expensive it really is in OZ and then I would have been better prepared when packing the container.

Sorry no one is going to tell you how expensive it is simply because what may be expensive for you may not be for others remember the saying one mans trash is another's treasure because it comes down to what your perception of expensive is

Oh by the way you pay per kg for watermelon about $1.00 to $1.80. Mangoes are about $3.80 ea. Honey is cheaper than in RSA and I'm very happy because we don't eat sugar and it set us back a bit in RSA and now we get it cheaper here. So not all bad. It's on special here by us now $6.00 for a 1kg and normal price is $8.00. In RSA we were used to R56.00 per kg at Fruit & Veg.

Tools are very expensive this side so make sure you get what you need and pack in container. Hubby is so chuffed that he bought a new grinder before coming over as his packed up just before we left. Make sure you bring you allowed quoata alcohol, for example J & B is $38.00 for 700ml and a case of bear (24) $40.00. It does help to buy specials and house brands, that save one some money

Parking in Perth CBD is a rip off. $6.00 - $12.00 per hour.

Welcome to the real world,

The TV is nice, so need to worry about Foxtel (DSTV). It is wonderful how safe one feels here and the people aren't all bad, but the ESTATE AGENTS are bastards,

really I did not actually notice when we arrived we had a house in two weeks and proceeded to have the most wonderful relationship with our estate agent for a period of well over 4 yrs

we only got our house by pure luck - or no.. WITH THE HELP OF GOD... We drove past the house and noticed that there were people working inside and just asked if we could have a quick look around and it was the owner. He then said after chatting for about two hours that he is happy with us and if we want the house we should just get our offer in with the agent and he will be more than happy to have us as tenants. Of course the house agent wasn't to happy that she was bypassed but there wasn't much she could do. Otherwise we would still be house hunting.

Just remember that salaries are quite high and therefore you don't have many shop assistant(s) standing around waiting to assist you, so you just have to find your own way when looking for something. But the few that are there aren't really helpful or educated in dealing with customers or even give you product information. OZ can do with some educating on this matter. RSA the client service was much much better, and then we use to complain about that as well.

hahaha your kidding right you had me rolling off the floor laughing not comparing crappy sa service (and I should know I still have family back there ) to awesome service in aus if you want non existent service come to AMERICA!!!!!

It's not that I want to bitch and moan, I just feel that the whole goal of the forum is to prepare people and inform people as to what to expect and then one is better prepared and equipped to deal with the shock.
Otherwise we enjoying our stay in this beautiful country and the thing is we tend to forget really quickly how bad things really are in South Africa, and once the honeymoon is over one tends to forget how good we have it here in OZ.
good to hear and probably the most insightful thing you said through this whole thread i wish you and yours all the best in our georgous country
Edited by NorCalAussie

Guest Die Carelsen's

This is not just thumb sucking and you don't need to be in the country looong to gain experience like you are trying to imply. This was my experience, I have had bad service from estate agents as well as shop assistants and I can compare this because I have just come over from RSA, not hearsay from family back in RSA, personal experience. This is not Eutopia and this is to give people back in South Africa a realistic picture.

Most probably if I warn people Magpies are nasty birds and watch out for your eyes in Spring time, you'll say how can I say this because I haven't been in the country long enough, and that they are loving peaceful birds that can't hurt a fly. CR@P - they are dangerous in Spring and one have to watch out for them. Maybe you are one of the many saying there is no crime in OZ and that this is EUTOPIA. There are crime that happen here and babies get kidnapped etc. All that we are use to in RSA, the difference is that the government here care enough and the criminals get cought and there is a justice system in place. The youth don't appreciate all of this and they are taking advantage of how good they have it in this country.

NJ and I merely pointed out what we have experienced thus far and excuse us if it differs from the moonshine and roses picture you are sending out to the world and your family back in RSA, just to justify to yourself and them why you have deserted them and South Africa....

Methinks some people doth protest too much!!!!

It would be a very simplified life if you were to compare the price of coke to coke!

I prefer to compare my safe life here to the unsafe life I had in SA.....far more important in my opinion.

Don't sweat the little things....rather look at the big picture!

Don't sweat the little things....rather look at the big picture!
I can't agree more!!!!

SAS

Holy crap people. Relax, Ninjaturtle is just venting some of his frustrations and what he is experiencing is totally normal. I applaud him for coming forward and talking about it as it is not easy, I have been there before myself. This is why some people don't air their feelings when they are down, as they get bombarded by other members if they do post somethign to this effect.

There are different phases in immigrating and I suggest some of you read up on it and realise that noboby is the same but most people go through it. Have a read through this thread http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=48&hl=

This forum is about giving balanced views on immigrating. It is not rosy all the time and that reflects in his post.

Ninja Turtle, just to keep yourself sane. Things will definitely seem more expensive than in SA, but remember here you are earning dollars and paying in dollars. You get more for your dollar in Australia than you would ever get for it in South Africa for a Rand. Also just think of the bigger picture.

Cheers & Good Luck!

Good on you D, people vent and advise and post comments so that we may all get an understanding of what it is like there.. Please note, it is different for everyone in one way or another.. Ninjaturtle, thank yu for the input, I really appreciate your coming forward, as I plan to move up Brisbane way as soon as I can, and creating awareness of possible potholes is appreciated.. Chin up chum, join a sportsclub. my wifes brother is in Brisi and so is Nilo, they are excellent people and can help you to meet others.. just ask..

Be cool

Guest Mauritz
Hi Everybody,

Welcome to Australia 'The land of the lie'

Our Family arrived on 1 March 2007, and we are living in Hope Island on the Gold Coast. In a nutshell we have experienced what most SA families have... a daily rollercoaster ride.

We have been ripped off by fellow South Africans, and Australians alike. Watch out for the SA business networks, looking for your money... There is a reason why these people are so friendly. Please take note, that in OZ you get nothing for nothing.

I will say that in OZ there is a very significant element missing, and that is human kindness.

We went through the same thing regarding fellow South Africans - it took me nearly 10 years to 'mix' or make contact again with South Africans. I'm glad I did, because I met some amazing and good people just on this forum. South Africans are not all saints - beware of the ones that seek you out. If I look back, then I can say without doubt that I/we attracted certain personalities, because we carried 'heavy baggage/garbage' with us. It takes a long time to find your true self - the one that doesn't doubt every single shadow, situation or person.

In general, I don't like the tone of your post. 'The land of the lie'????????? What can I say?? This is a TRUE society - where YOU have to make something for YOURSELF without the slave labour you rightly mentioned. Here it is just YOU and if YOU don't make it - YOU can't blame anyone but YOURSELF. Sometimes if things don't work out - we have to find a tree and sit and think and analyze - and stop lashing out and first look for the fault within OURSELVES.

I've been here for 12 years, running my own business, and I've been ripped of ONCE by an Aussie - 3 days ago for the very first time. I call it a good run. I'm going to loose a couple of thousand dollars - I'm not going to bitch about it - I'm bigger than that. I came back home - saddled my horse and went straight for the hills, leaving the twisted little man far, far behind. What a life.

I've got no idea what you mean my 'in Oz you get nothing for nothing' - everyday if feels to me that I get EVERTHING for NOTHING. I'm so thankful that I can operate in a society where I make a difference without much effort, a place where I can choose what I do and how I do it - without covering my back and worrying about my family.

Your comment - 'in Oz there's a very significant element missing, and that is human kindness'. I'm a raw Boer with a very, very short temper and these people, called Australians - have given me a life back - a life full of kindness. I don't know where you've settled and how you socialise and how you pick or make friends - all I can say is - I smell a hell of a rat mate.

It is true that I haven't been back to Azania in 12 years - one reason - I love this place to death.

The cost of things?????? There are thousands of websites with the cost of things - but it is plain stupid to compare your SA Banana money with the Aussie $. It is simple to compare your hourly/daily income here with that of South Africa and then look at how far you get with each. We did it countless of times - with pen & paper - we get much, much further here with our money. The way we live at this very moment would be impossible in South Africa. Forget about your IT orientated mind - get back to basics and you'll find that if you earn realistic money here in the wonderful land of Oz you're ahead.

Hope things work out for you and your family.

Interesting post.

I remember my first time overseas in the USA when the exchange rate was R14/US$. I kept converting the cost of food into Rands and when I had the Rand amount I just couldn't bring myself to buying food! I know it sounds dumb but then someone I lived with said to me: STOP CONVERTING!! Now I don't ever convert whenever I am overseas. What I do do is ask myself is, how much does this item cost me relevant to my salary in the country I am living/working in?

Speaking of the cost of things, my parents have just returned from a 6 week holiday in SA and have said that the cost of living there is almost the same as the UK now! Scary...

And yes, Oz aint perfect but damn, I'll take that over SA anyday. Also, if things in Oz make you that unhappy you need to do whats right for you so you could return to SA or even move to another country. I've lived/worked in 4 countries now and each one has pros and cons...you just need to choose the one that "clicks" with you best.

Best of luck... :ilikeit:

Ninja Turtle

You lead a great life in SA, Featherbrooke estate is cetainly top of the pops in living areas. We were saying yesterday that we are leaving a lot behind, large home, lovely gardens, but we need to focus on the bigger picture. We are starting all over again when we get there and we know it is not going to be sunshine and roses but we are willing to take the plunge. Yes we are going to have days of saying "What the hell have we done" but that will pass too. One day we will build our lives again and this will be a sacrifice our kids will be able to benefit from one day as there views will not compare to their old lives in SA, they are too small to feel the effects now.

Leonard it will get better, glad you logged onto the forum. Welcome

Nicki

I am currently visiting South Africa and what a pleasure spending when you convert from Aussie dollars to Rand - 6 to 1. Clothing and some items cheap.

I guess its bad the other way around coming from South Africa and makes you feel poorer. Some rich people may find it hard to immigrate to Australia especially leaving behind status and "lifestyle".

I found Aussies friendly and helpful and nobody ripped me off. I even got credit for furniture purchases (without reference checks) untill my funds became available. Maybe its a country thing and different compared to the cities and areas like Gold Coast.

Riaan

Edited by Rison

Guest Ninja Turtle

Howzit People,

It seems like I have really stirred up a hornets nest!. Wow it always amazes me how people fear the truth, and when you speak the truth you are 'whinging'. To the people who reacted negatively to my post... how pathetic people, get over it, and stop lying to yourselves, everything I have said is true, not just my perception. End of story.

I could have added a lot more negative experiences, like the need for "Australian Experience" if you are looking for work, and if you want to start a business here you don't need a black partner, you obviously need an Australian partner!

As the more intelligent people have noted, I am giving information that up till now has been scarce on this site. There are a lot of people on this forum that are still living in SA, and think that when they get to OZ, they will begin a new perfect life. Nothing could be further from the truth. I have not met one South African here who has not had to adjust in a big way. It will take at least 5 years for you to feel that this is home.

So many people that I have met here from SA, have been through serious depression.

If I choose to live in an expensive place in OZ then so be it, that's my choice, and I am comparing apples with apples. I lived in an expensive place in SA too, why should I not compare what I had with what I have now? Why do I convert to Rands, because we have not made too many dollars since coming here.... go figure.

Did I mention childcare??? Parents beware, you will pay between $50 to $60 per day...yes per day per child for childcare. In SA we paid R500 per month, and it was a very good quality facility.

Visit the dentist at $500 a time, and you wont have much of a smile on your face either!

I am not going to share my positive experiences because everybody knows what those are, and we came here for those reasons, that's what we expected.

For people back in SA, I would want you to make sure that you are well prepared to see through the similng faces with outstretched hands waiting to take your cash. You need to know that you are coming to a place where survival is a lot tougher than what most South Africans are acustomed to, and therefore the Australian people have invented ingenious ways for fleecing you for things that would normally be free in SA.

In a nutshell as I stated in my previos post you get nothing for nothing here, and you need to arrive here with that knowledge and don't expect an easty ride.

What I am pissed off about is the fact that everyone we spoke to that lived in OZ, before we came, made no mention of their hardship, and the difficulties that they had endured, because they were too proud to admit that they had taken 10 steps backwards, and that somebody might think they had made a bad decision to emigrate.

Every person painted this rosy picture of Australia as the place to be...

So draw your own conclusions, do your homework, do your research, find out as much as you can before you come, because when you get here you had better choose an area that suits you well, because it is costly to move.

CIAO BABY

I have to air my few cents worth!

NJ if you had checked this website before you came, you may or may not have seen, the subject of drastic change, depression, homesickness, high childcare prices, needing supposed Australian experience, ALL OF THIS HAS BEEN DISCUSSED ON THIS SITE, NUMEROUS TIMES! We do not just talk about the good things!

Things that are true, is the fact that the bank hits you with bank charges that 'skrik vir niks'. Yes dentists can be expensive, but you need to shop around. Expect to pay at least $140 for a filling and $1000 for a root canal. I have also realised that the flasher the suburb, the flasher the prices, this comment is not directed at where you are staying NJ, it is just a comment in general. It has been proven that the prices at Safeway and Coles are more expensive, in the expensive suburbs, so, once again it pays to shop around.

I am sorry that your experience has been that people have ripped you off, both Aussies and SA's, however, that is not necessarily the experience of everyone else, I have been here 10 years, and have never been taken advantage of. This I put down to the fact that I am a SA! We were taught well, to be wary of "if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is"! I also think that we have become pretty good at smelling out a crook or a bad deal!

I have no problem with telling it like it is...that is a good intention, but I do object to generalisations..."see through the similng faces with outstretched hands waiting to take your cash".

With all the SA's that we have assisted on arrival, and there are plenty, only one couple had problems with their rental place, and believe me, they seemed never ending, but it would be wrong to now say that everybody must be careful of rental agents as they are out to get you. I think in their instance, they were just unfortunate, for a combination of factors that could have happened anywhere.

Holy crap people. Relax, Ninjaturtle is just venting some of his frustrations and what he is experiencing is totally normal. I applaud him for coming forward and talking about it as it is not easy, I have been there before myself. This is why some people don't air their feelings when they are down, as they get bombarded by other members if they do post somethign to this effect.

There are different phases in immigrating and I suggest some of you read up on it and realise that noboby is the same but most people go through it. Have a read through this thread http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=48&hl=

This forum is about giving balanced views on immigrating. It is not rosy all the time and that reflects in his post.

Ninja Turtle, just to keep yourself sane. Things will definitely seem more expensive than in SA, but remember here you are earning dollars and paying in dollars. You get more for your dollar in Australia than you would ever get for it in South Africa for a Rand. Also just think of the bigger picture.

Cheers & Good Luck!

Dont have a problem with him giving his view.. just have a major problem with him slagging the hand that feeds i.e aus :ilikeit: like Mauritz said - all I can say is - I smell a hell of a rat mate.

Hi to all including Ninja Turtle,

As Dedrei said it is good to put your point accross NT, I just hope that everybody sees it as that "your point"! We have had exactly the opposite experience to yours. But then again maybe our expectations were different?

Also we do not have kiddies to send to daycare etc. Would it not be possible for your wife not to work or to work part time so that you would not need to have the expense of daycare and I do believe the kiddies would love to have her home. Just a suggestion.

I believe that moving to Australia could be a fantastic change of lifestyle if you are prepared to do just that, change your life style. Often that would not be measured in $$$ but in time and quality!

I do not know you or how you lived in SAfrica or what your financial situation is etc etc so I will not put any judgement on you or you experiences so far. Everything I have ever posted on this forum has been exactly how we have experienced things and even what our salary and budget is as an example to others in the same boat. Maybe that is what you should have done as well, just to put things into perspective for other arivals.

I am giving you and open invitation to contact me at any time, maybe after a chat you will see the "other" side. PM me for my contact nr's, or better even give me yours.

To all of you that have not arrived in Australia yet, please do not be frightened off by what NT has posted as this is NOT AT ALL our experience and we are not rubish nor are we Hoity toity just NORMAL salary earning people.

Love and Peace to you all

Nilo

Edited by Nilo

This is not just thumb sucking and you don't need to be in the country looong to gain experience like you are trying to imply. This was my experience, I have had bad service from estate agents as well as shop assistants and I can compare this because I have just come over from RSA, not hearsay from family back in RSA, personal experience. This is not Eutopia and this is to give people back in South Africa a realistic picture.

um sorry yes you do need to live here a long time because then you are hopefully acclimatised to the culture of Aus and like Mara I have lived for nearly 10 yrs in Aus although I am on a secondment tour to the USA and this personal experience of service in SA is exactly the issue . This is Aus stop comparing it to SA it can never be like SA due to many factors I never said that this is Utopia

Most probably if I warn people Magpies are nasty birds and watch out for your eyes in Spring time, you'll say how can I say this because I haven't been in the country long enough, and that they are loving peaceful birds that can't hurt a fly. CR@P - they are dangerous in Spring and one have to watch out for them.

Maybe they just need to be treated with respect it is after all their home but after saying that yes you do need to be careful nothing wrong with that

Maybe you are one of the many saying there is no crime in OZ and that this is EUTOPIA. There are crime that happen here and babies get kidnapped etc. All that we are use to in RSA, the difference is that the government here care enough and the criminals get cought and there is a justice system in place. The youth don't appreciate all of this and they are taking advantage of how good they have it in this country.

Nope not even close but hey nice try

NJ and I merely pointed out what we have experienced thus far and excuse us if it differs from the moonshine and roses picture you are sending out to the world and your family back in RSA, just to justify to yourself and them why you have deserted them and South Africa....

Me deserting family hahaha had me rolling off the floor laughing .. Guilt trips no way deserting SA thats your opinion isnt it as I . became an Aussie the moment I landed and no it hasn't been moonshine and roses it has been one amazing ride .. life is a journey try and enjoy the ride oh and ps if it isn't working for you maybe your should really question why you came to Aus[

Edited by NorCalAussie