Going to a Land Down Under

4mcnuts

Hi All

Well we've also made the big decision to head for the Land Of Oz! Upon recommendations from friends we decided to go with an agent based in Perth. Been going nowhere slowly since July this year! We were trying to get in via a 175 Visa, but with changes in the TRA we hit a dead end. Now we're trying the 457 Visa. Have we made the right decision to go with an agent now that we're going the temp. res. route? Any suggestions/advice from the "migration veterans", would be great.

Thanks

mcnut3 :blush:

Sorry for being "nuuskierig" :blush: what changes in the TRA's? Did you read the thread on Agents in todays active topics? Maybe there is an answer or you could PM the people in the discussion?

A

Edited by adeleb

Hi A

Wife's a chef with plenty years work experience, but not enough formal training for the TRA's liking. Whereas before work experience would've got her a positive assessment, since 1 September years of formal training is more important. :blush: Thanks will check out the forums you suggested...

OOHH :blink: Also busy with getting all my paperwork together for Hairdressing TRA. I's like eating an elephant as I own my own business and therefore need letters from everyone but the queen to prove it :blush: But I am prepared to eat it "happie vir happie" as I believe it will all be worth it in the end. Good luck with your application, etc.

A

Thanks A

The thread on Agents was a great help. I think our eagerness to get to Oz, has made us more impatient and more demanding of our agent. Seems like most of us are in the same "slow" boat to Oz! Oh well, good luck with your application and vasbyt! We'll all get to Oz eventually...

Hi mcnut3,

Just bare in mind that you are only allowed to be in possession of one Visa only. :P

Applying for 2 Visa's at the same time are not allowed unfortunately and in the interim will be denied.

I have been sponsored to WA on a STNI Visa and managed to get hold of work in Sydney on a Temp 457 Visa, thus I had to cancel the PR Visa to WA and forfeit the non-refundable money. :blush:

If you do your homework properly and with patience on your side, there would be no reason to make use of an agent.

Best of luck in your ventures :blink:

MerryThought

Don't worry Adele you did a registered Apprenticeship so you'll be fine. Just get all the paperwork together, QUIKELY!!! I want you here before next Christmas!!!!

Toe nou wikkel daai boude!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, and welcome!!

About the agent issue - don't know which one you are using in Perth, but we are using on (in Perth also) and have found it nothing but helpful! I gave him an "interview" on the telephone one day and point blank asked him why I should pay him to help me, since I can read and the IMMI website is pretty clear. He responded with a very good answer in my opinion: He said that even though you CAN do this on your own, if you have even a LITTLE bit of a tricky situation going - get an agent because you will be dealing with an authority you know nothing about! You have never had contact with Aus government, so knowing how they prefer things to be, for example, certified is not going to be easy. Also, I compare it with the relationship you have with your accountant. You can do your taxes yourself, but an accountant knows the pitfalls and loopholes - make use of the expertise!!

My 2 cents - good luck with your application. We have also just lodged and are in the waiting room. Ugh...

Bye!

Hi All

Well we've also made the big decision to head for the Land Of Oz! Upon recommendations from friends we decided to go with an agent based in Perth. Been going nowhere slowly since July this year! We were trying to get in via a 175 Visa, but with changes in the TRA we hit a dead end. Now we're trying the 457 Visa. Have we made the right decision to go with an agent now that we're going the temp. res. route? Any suggestions/advice from the "migration veterans", would be great.

Thanks

mcnut3 :whome:

If you use a good agent, the will do wonders for you.

Without my agent, i would've not had the opprtunity to even try for a TRA assessment on my own.

Now i had a successfull TRA assessment, all the monies has been paid, and are waiting for a CO.

For me it was worth the money :ilikeit:

Hi LegalBuff & jacquesd. Thanks for the reassurance regarding using an agent. Our Perth-based agent did come recommended and has been helpful. It's just been 6 months so far, and not a lot has happened for us! Maybe we're just getting impatient? Good luck with your application! Thanks mcnut3