Telephonic Interview

Cas

Make yourself ready for behavoural type questions. My telephone interview was really draining and this type of interview style was totally new to me. Gives you a major headache when you are eventually doen.

Have a look here http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=373&hl= and look through the tips section in the Employment part of the forum. You will find lots of info.

Good luck with the interview

Cas: if you're in recruitment, you've already got a head-start on most of us. You should be giving *us* tips :lol:

I actually prefer the behavioural type interviews, they're a lot more interactive. It also quickly cuts out those people who have got where they are by taking credit for other people's work.

Tho I had one chap who tried to catch me out a couple of times, using certain programming terms and IT terms out of context. Personally I believe it's better to "correct" that kind of stuff diplomatically (so that they know you're onto them, without actually shoving it back in their faces) than to just call the person on it and imply that they're an idiot :)

Best of luck! :)

Hi there.

I had mine on Skype [Phone me in]

Really not that bad.

Good luck.

Albert

Edited by Allie&Urs

Thanks for all the good wishes.

I think it went well. This company has quite a recruitment process:

1. Tel interview with Internal Recruiter

2. Tel interview with Practice Manager

3. Psych assess (via internet)

4. Video conference with Practice Manager and Team Leader

5. References

Today, I spoke to both the Internal Recruiter and the Practice Manager at the same time (so I guess that covers step 1 and 2). They spoke about setting up a psych test so I think I'm through to the next round. I just need to sit and bite my nails until tomorrow to find out!

Tomorrow, I have two (!) interviews with other companies - one at 6:00 and one at 7:30.

(Edited to add) It wasn't a CBI interview although I had prepared for one which should stand me in good stead for tomorrow.

It would appear that the recruitment industry is desparate for experienced recruitment consultants...

Edited by Cas

hey cas,

glad it went well and man am i jealous...and i wish you tons of luck and sooner than you know you and your son are outta here :blush:

For all of those who might still do telephone interviews, take note of the info below, it caters for Australians.I found it on http://www.getthejob.com.au/jobinterview/phoneinterviews.htm. it was very helpful.

Scott :blush::ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit:

Phone interviews

* How to prepare

* Phone etiquette

* Phone interview do's and don'ts

* After the phone interview

How to prepare

When applying for a job prepare for the unexpected. Phone interviews are becoming increasingly popular as a means of narrowing down candidates for a more traditional face to face interview.

Supporting notes and documentation

At a minimum have have a pen and paper accompanied by your resume next to the phone. A phone interview can really put you in an advantage. The reason is that you can refer to any paper work whilst on the phone. Consider composing a 'cheat sheet'. This could include company information, what you could bring to the role, interview question responses and anything else to prompt you along. Keep your calendar / date book close by also as you may need to confirm your upcoming schedule. The aim here to to come across as a well informed and organised. Being prepared in this way will increase your chances of being invited for a face to face interview.

Have questions ready

A great way to show your interest in the position is to consider preparing a few intelligent questions to ask the interviewer. Keep your questions open and friendly. Try not to sound as though your reading them from paper in front of you. See also What questions to ask the interviewer.

Let people know

If you have supplied a fixed line number as a contact be sure to brief any persons likely to answer on your behalf. Explain to them the importance of your job application and how their phone manner may have an impact on the interviewer.

Voice mail

Using a voice mail service is a great way for an interviewer to leave a brief message. Consider a short professional greeting no more than 15 seconds. Avoid voice mail jokes or background music.

Phone etiquette

Try your best to create a great first impression

When answering your telephone be sure to use a warm friendly greeting.

On the phone your tone and manner can be effected by your body language . At a minimum smile. Don't slouch or lounge around while on the phone. This will most certainly have an impact as to how you are interpreted.

Use your interviews name on the throughout the call to build up a good rapport.

When on the phone be sure to speak clearly. To avoid distortion leave a two finger space between your mouth and handset.

If you are unable to hear the interviewer consider the following line: 'I'm having a little trouble hearing you. Can you hear me clearly?'

Towards the end of the call remember to thank the interviewer for his or her call.

Where possible hang up last. Hanging up early or abruptly may given an impression that you are in a hurry or disinterested. Obviously if your interviewer doesn't hang up after at least 3 seconds of saying good bye do hang up first.

Phone interview do's and don'ts

Do's

Don'ts

* Do list accurate contact information on your cover letter / resume

* Do practice with a friend over the phone

* Do ensure that you can hear / be heard

* Do disable call waiting if a phone interview is inevitable

* Do keep a glass of water handy

* Do smile. A smile will most certainly be projected across the phone.

* Don't eat, drink, chew gum or smoke

* Don't interrupt

* Don't give short answers. Where possible give a detailed response

* Don't sniffle, sneeze or cough over the phone. Excuse your self if need be

After the phone interview

If applicable write down any important information discussed for future reference.

Where appropriate send a thank letter. This could be in the form of a email or depending on the depth of the phone interview you may consider sending a traditional thank you letter via post.

Find out as much as possible about the company via the internet etc., even Google Earth. They are impressed if they realize you did your homework.... See if you can get info on the company structure, the CEO, the no of employees, financials etc. Find news articles in the Oz press etc.

Write it down, make notes about everything. I kept lots of tabs open in the browser in case I needed to look up something quick.

Relax, enjoy, I ended up having a nice general chat with them.

Good luck! :blush:

Hi Cas,

I don't think you'll have any problems whatsoever :) Australia absolutely loves experienced recruiters! I come from a recruitment background too, and that's how I came in 2 years ago. My sister, who is also in the same profession, came to visit me in October last year and took the opportunity to go meet some recruitment companies - and secured 5 offers :whome::ilikeit: She moved here in February this year :lol:

I got your PM and will give you a shout a little later. Meantime, I think you can start packing ;)

Cheers

Ajay