St Ives

CandyGirl

Hi there,

Am hoping someone can give me an idea of the time taken to commute to the Sydney CBD from St Ives? Also are there any church schools or private schools that you can recommend in the area? We currently live on the Gold Coast and have found excellent schools but most you have to have had your name on the list since birth in order to get in for prep! Eish!

We moved to Oz from the UK and are missing it terribly - find the Gold Coast incredibly beautiful but just miss the city and OH job is primarily in Sydney. We have 2 kids who are 3 and 15months so hopefully looking for somewhere that is commutable and family friendly. This is our last option before returning to the UK...

Any advice would be very gratefully received.

Kind Regards,

Candygirl

Hi Candygirl,

Have a read here - this article reckons it's a 40 minute express bus commute to the city.

http://www.renovationplanning.com.au/stori...0000000135.html

Here are some interesting stats about St Ives. Plenty of South Africans there. :)

http://www.domain.com.au/public/suburbprof...=2075#mapanchor

Hi there Candy Girl

I used to stay in St Ives and have just moved down the road into another suburb five minutes away. St Ives is a great area with really good schools and a huge SA community. There is a lovely Catholic School (you don't have to be catholic to attend) which is small and has a wonderful community spirit and is really lovely. There is also Northern Beaches Christian School in Terrey Hills about 5 minutes towards the beaches from St Ives. There is Brigidine a girls school in St Ives and there are plenty of other good schools around. You could also consider areas like Turramurra, Gordon, Pymble, Wahroonga all within 10 mins of each other. The train from Gordon Station to the city is about 25mins.

St ives is a really great area because you will find sooo many ex Saffers and initially that is a great way to make friends. I have 3 EX SA friends who have all come from the UK and live in St Ives, all love it.

There is also a group of ladies (mostly st ives) who get together every month for a social tea or lunch and plenty of long term friendships have formed there.

There is also a South African run pre-school which I can't speak highly enough of and most of the families are ex SA.

Please pm me and we can chat further if you have any more questions or need more details, I hope to see you soon.

Hi Candygirl,

Have a read here - this article reckons it's a 40 minute express bus commute to the city.

http://www.renovationplanning.com.au/stori...0000000135.html

Here are some interesting stats about St Ives. Plenty of South Africans there. :)

http://www.domain.com.au/public/suburbprof...=2075#mapanchor

Thanks HP! Sounds really lovely and cannot wait to go and visit for a "looksee". :ilikeit:

Hi there Candy Girl

I used to stay in St Ives and have just moved down the road into another suburb five minutes away. St Ives is a great area with really good schools and a huge SA community. There is a lovely Catholic School (you don't have to be catholic to attend) which is small and has a wonderful community spirit and is really lovely. There is also Northern Beaches Christian School in Terrey Hills about 5 minutes towards the beaches from St Ives. There is Brigidine a girls school in St Ives and there are plenty of other good schools around. You could also consider areas like Turramurra, Gordon, Pymble, Wahroonga all within 10 mins of each other. The train from Gordon Station to the city is about 25mins.

St ives is a really great area because you will find sooo many ex Saffers and initially that is a great way to make friends. I have 3 EX SA friends who have all come from the UK and live in St Ives, all love it.

There is also a group of ladies (mostly st ives) who get together every month for a social tea or lunch and plenty of long term friendships have formed there.

There is also a South African run pre-school which I can't speak highly enough of and most of the families are ex SA.

Please pm me and we can chat further if you have any more questions or need more details, I hope to see you soon.

Hi sa2auz,

Thanks for the info - will pm you in a min. I am getting excited about our potential fresh start now - always helps to have a goal to work towards. Might take us a while to get our ducks in a row and first we are going to do a trip and check it out.

Really appreciate the advice guys :cry:

Cheers,

C

Thanks HP! Sounds really lovely and cannot wait to go and visit for a "looksee". :ilikeit:

No problem, good to hear that you're getting excited about it. :)

Hi CandyGirl,

To find out the train times and durations have a look at this link (North Shore line). From St Ives, you would probably use the stations Turramurra, Pymble or Gordon (I think), to the city stations which are Wynyard, Town Hall and Central.

SAS