What is the wheather like

Pieter en Lindie

Hi all,

We have lodged our 457 visa and will be on our way to Adalaide when approved.

I am trying to get a clear picture of what your wheather is like. If possible please indicate:

1. hours of sunshine during the summer and during the winter.

2. Is your winters cold.

3. when do you get rain.

4. I have read somewhere that they say it is like cape town's wheather. Is this true.

5. Do you have a lot of wind and if so, is it a strong wind.

6. What is an average temp in the summer and in winter.

7. Does it ever snow?

What is life like in general. Everybody say that life is very laid back. What does that mean exactly.

I appreciate all your advice and input.

Regards

Lindie

According to DK's Eyewitness Travel Guide on Australia:

1. hours of sunshine during the summer and during the winter.

Jan: 10 hours sunshine

Apr: 6 hours sunshine

Jul: 4 hours sunshine

Oct: 7 hours sunshine

2. Is your winters cold.

Average Temp's:

Jan: 16; 30

Apr: 13; 23

Jul: 7; 15

Oct: 11; 23

3. when do you get rain.

Average rainfall per month:

Jan: 20mm

Apr: 46mm

Jul: 66mm

Oct: 43mm

4. I have read somewhere that they say it is like cape town's wheather. Is this true.

This one I'll leave to someone else, I can't decide this based on only statistics and books

5. Do you have a lot of wind and if so, is it a strong wind.

Not mentioned in book

6. What is an average temp in the summer and in winter.

Average Temp's:

Jan: 16; 30

Apr: 13; 23

Jul: 7; 15

Oct: 11; 23

7. Does it ever snow?

Not mentioned in book

What is life like in general. Everybody say that life is very laid back. What does that mean exactly.

Soneone from Adelaide??

Hope this helps!

Edited by Huisvrouki

Adelaide is pretty 'laid back', meaning that we don't rush around generally like folks do in other big cities around Australia.

Adelaide has been likened to a big country town where you take your time shopping, get parking fairly easily, sit outside the cafe for a cup of tea or coffee in the summer evenings and drive leisurely to wherever you need to go.

If you prefer to drive at 80 km / hr everywhere in town, run thro the supermarket at 15 km / hr grabbing groceries off the shelf at the same time, skip red traffic lights and drive over pedestrian crossings while people are walking across, have no time to drink a great cup of tea or coffee at a cafe, but are always rushed for time, then Adelaide isn't your kind of town. Try elsewhere for that sort of lifestyle.

Temps in December are between 25 to 40 degrees max during the day dropping to between 18 to 30 degrees at nights.

January is the hottest month with the max temps being usually over 30 degrees, rising to 40 to 45 at times, so an air conditioner isn't a bad thing in a rental place to look for in summertime.

July temps are about 16 to 18 degrees max with low night time temps about 2 to 3 degrees, occasionally dropping to 0 on the odd occasion.

Adelaide has winter / spring rains, so all your rainwater tanks must get their quota at that time of the year, because the summer / autumn rainfall is low and the hot summer days evaporate every drop of moisture in the soil.

A rainwater tank catching and storing the rain water off the roof is a great idea to have in a new house of your own or to look for at a rental property. Rainwater is "soft" in that it takes only half the soap powder needed in your dishwasher or washing machine to suds up your detergent to full strength. It's great to drink too! and is easy on your hot water system causing them to last and last year after year.

If you've got kids or expect them to arrive shortly, you'll love the easy lifestyle that Adelaide has. . . and its great climate.

Hi Lindie

Adelaide weather is very similar to the weather in Cape Town. Mediterranean climate, rains in winter.

Winters cool, summers hot and dry. Beautiful in Spring and Autumn. Clocks adjusted for the Summer so sunsets late (about 8:30pm- just like Cape Town). In Winter it gets darker much earlier (about 5:30 - just like Cape Town).

Adelaide has no Table Mountain but we have the Adelaide Hills with their own unique beauty.

Adelaide is not as small as some people may think (it is obviously smaller when compared to Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane). Adelaide has a population of approx 1.1 million and larger % of the population travel to work by car than in the other major Australian cities.

The beach is about, 15 -20minutes from the CBD and the Adelaide Hills are also about 15-20 minutes from the CBD(dependant on where in the Hills).

McLarenvale, Barossa Valley and Claire are three of the better known wine districts in Australia, within approx 35,45 and 90 minutes of the CBD.

Adelaide is a great place to live and raise a family.

Enjoy!

Manny

Hi there

From what I've heard, it doesn't snow in Adelaide. I am, however, also quite interested in how frequently the wind blows and how strong (on average).

I think the weather is on average colder in winter and hotter in summer compared to our Cape Town weather.

Maybe we'll see each other in Adelaide sometime, but I think you will get there before us :P !

Tania

Hi there

From what I've heard, it doesn't snow in Adelaide. I am, however, also quite interested in how frequently the wind blows and how strong (on average).

I think the weather is on average colder in winter and hotter in summer compared to our Cape Town weather.

Maybe we'll see each other in Adelaide sometime, but I think you will get there before us :ilikeit: !

Tania

Thank you everybody, I really appreciate your input. Adalaide seems like the perfect place for us and I think we are going to enjoy every moment. We went for our medicals today and the only thing left to do know is the waiting. When I think back, I cant believe that we went through all that paperwork and one dead end lead to another way. First we were going on a 457 visa, then that didn't work out and finally we got untill today were everything is done and our 475 visa is lodged. We had complications right from the beginning with the agents and finally we did everything on our own. Hopefully it is not long now before we can get on that airoplane.

Thank you again to everybody for all your help.

Regards

Lindie