Living in Canberra

Smitte

Ready2Go,

I am a bit off the topic, but we also want to go to Canberra. Just wondered in what line is your husband working and how did you go by to get a job from here?

We will appreciate your help.

Regard

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thinus

• Smitte

• 5vannemerwea

• Karen R

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Smitte,

Hubby is a traddie, has two trades, installation electrician; and industrial refrigeration. He has his own little business. However did his TRA under the industrial refrigeration trade as his electrical trade is not recognised in Aus as he only got his licence a couple years ago. So once in Aus he will be reassessed.

Last year (september) when the australian work opportunity expo was in Gauteng he flew up with a bundle of CV's and handed them out. A week later he got a call from the UK (as the expo had moved on there) and had a telephone interview with management. We were prepared to go anywhere in Aus - a foot in the door and Canberra sounds amazing.

At the time we were going to leave on temporary visa's, (all relocation costs paid for by the Aussies) but we have two school going children and found out the huge cost of schooling in N S W, so have opted to go the PR route - but these visas (175) seem to be taking forever.

If due to time delays with visas we should lose this position - we would definately go to the next expo. Most people who attended did not have CV's - so go prepared.

What is your occupation ?

Good luck, hope this helps! :ilikeit:

Hallo Ready2Go,

Thanks for all the info, the problem is, the tickets for the expo is sold out!!

I am an accountant and my husband is in IT, unix administrator. I asked you this, because all the positions that we came across in Canberra is government positions and then you must be a citizen and we will (hopefulle soon) only have PR.

BUT we will keep looking!!

Keep in touch.

Regards

Hallo Ready2Go,

Thanks for all the info, the problem is, the tickets for the expo is sold out!!

I am an accountant and my husband is in IT, unix administrator. I asked you this, because all the positions that we came across in Canberra is government positions and then you must be a citizen and we will (hopefulle soon) only have PR.

BUT we will keep looking!!

Keep in touch.

Regards

Hello!

We used to be interested in Canberra but jobs area is also a concern as for most of them you must be a citizen. We decided to move to Melbourne but still keep our options open.

Anyhow I got the invitation for Living in Canberra . They are touring SA first 2 weeks in May. See attachement with all dates.

Cheers

didl

Invitation_to_Seminars___South_Africa_1_.pdf

Hi Smitte,

Was gonna tell you about the Live in Canberra bunch comming out, but see you have it already. Pity about the expo being sold out, unreal !!! The Live in Canberra bunch will have recruiters, so maybe a good idea to go see.

You guys should have no problem with your occupations, a friend in Canberra says IT people are very much in demand and make excellent money !! <_<

Hang in there.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

We did an LSD trip beginning of April. We first wanted to just go to Perth because we didn't have much time. But in the end we decided to use 2 days for Canberra and then 5 days in Perth. I was very glad that we did Canberra. My main reason for the LSD was not just to look at Perth and Canberra but look more specifically at neighborhoods and shops to campare them to Canada. We also flew trhoug Namibia to visit family. We were veyr suprised to see how Windhoek has grown. It has now apparently a population of more than 400 000.

We lived in the Forest hotel and apartments. We rented a 1-bedroom apartment so that we can buy groeries and cook for ourselves. I can definitely recommend this hotel. I did not take a lot of pictures in the end. We arrived in Canberra 22h20 and took a taxi to our apartment. The next day we took a taxi to downtown to pick up our rented car at Hertz. Canberra has an enormous amount of circles, but thankfully they work like the circles in Windhoek and not like the ones here in Edmonton where the outside vehicle has the right of way. In Canberra the vehicle in the inside circle has the right of way which makes a lot more sense and the circles drive very easy. At Hertz we were so fortunate to be helped by a lady who is originally from the UK, but lived for many years in Canada. The last city she lived in was Edmonton and was also her favorite city. She left Canada 6 years ago. We asked her how she experience Canberra and she said that it is more like the UK for her and that she likes it but she misses the shops in Canada. Well, after visiting a few shops, we understood why. She also mentioned that in a few years time, Costco will come to Australia. This will be fantastic. It is a huge shop where you can buy bulk and from which we buy our meat currently.

We met Kirstin in Canberra who gave us lots of information and showed us some shops. We visited Bunnings and it compares very well to Rona and Home Depot here in Canada. The prices are also very similar. We also visited a Coles and a Woolworths. The last day we also visited the Belconnen shopping centre. It is a very nice shopping centre and has the biggest Woolworths we saw in Canberra. We also visited 2 Aldi stores, one in the north as well as the one in the south. I must say, I was a bit shocked when I saw the grocery stores. They are smallish, not as well laid out as the grocery shops like Checkers or Pick'n Pay in Windhoek. It also seemed that Windhoek has a better selection to choose from. They are not comparible at all to any of the grocery shops here in Edmonton. We have Superstore, Save-on-foods and Safeway and Sobeys, all huge with lots of variety to choose from. Now I know I cannot compare the shops in Edmonton to Canberra's, because Canberra has a population of 330 000 and the greater Edmonton area is 1 million, but I expected to see somethng similar as to what I experienced in Windhoek. Groceries in Australia is definitely a lot more expensive than here in Canada. I am still making a spreadsheet, but for example, shampoo in Woolworths is double the price I pay for it here in Superstore. Superstore is the cheapest and biggest of the 4 grocery stores in Edmonton. Australia unfortunately doesn't have a Superstore equivalent. The monopoly belongs to Coles and Woolworths. Just before we left, there was a discussion about this monopoly, I do not know what the outcome was of it.

As long as one gets the correct salary, I do not think the higher grocery prices will be a problem though.

We also looked at neighborhoods, mostly south because we liked the hills. Allthough we did buy a magazine called: Your mortgage, and it discussed some neighborhoods in different cities and they mentioned 2 northern sububrs in Canberra that are still affordable and should see lots of growth. These suburbs are Holt and Gungahlin.

We really liked Canberra. The people was friendly, the old people still had time to stand in the aisles and chat with each other while doing their grocery shopping. The highways are very good and one can hardly see any neighborhoods when driving on it because there are lots of trees between the highway and the neighborhood. It was a lot easier to find something in Canberra than it was to find something in Perth just because of the size. My brother likes fresh water fishing and asked us to buy him some asessories. We drove down to Tuggeranong where we visited a store who referred us to the camping store close by. The camping store couldn't help us but told us about a fishing store in Philip. By the way, if you want to buy a car, Philip is the neighborhood to go to. I saw lots of car dealers concentrated together in this suburb. We couldn't 100% understand the guy's accent so we didn't catch the name of the Angler shop. In Philip we went into a store selling sports equipment and he told us where to find the angler shop. So we were able to find what we were looking for just because of the friendliness and helpfullness of the people.

There are lots of trees in Canberra which makes it beautiful. The neighborhoods we liked most in the south were Red Hill, O'Malley, Deakin and Isaacs. We drove down to the Banks and Conder. It is also nice but a bit too far south for me. We always joked and said that we do not want to see another coniferous tree, but guess what neighborhood was the one I would love to stay in if we can move to Australia and Canberra specifically: Isaacs. I felt right at home here. It is in a valley with the highway on the one side and hills covered with conferous trees on the other side. I couldn't believe how I liked the backdrop of the coniferous trees, but as Kirstin said, one never realized how a place has grown on you until you leave it behind. We of course didn't go into every neighborhood, but what also caught my eye in Isaacs was how well maintained the gardens were of all the houses. From the smallest house with its tiny garden to the big mansions, allmost al of them were well looked after. Looking at the house prices, then I would say that Red Hill and O'Malley are very expensive. I didn't see houses for sale in Isaacs, so I have no idea what the house prices are. We also visited at dusk Queanbeyan and it also has very nice houses. It looks to me like lots of rich people live here, so it will be too expensive for us. I also do not like the drive out to Queanbeyan very much.

Well, after Canberra, Perth was no match. It is just another big city that are too hot. end of March beginning of April Perth was still 31 degrees celsius while Canberra was 18 degrees during the time we were there. I like dall the palm trees in downtown Perth and the downtown had pretty buildings. The Woolworths in Hay Street was just as disappointing as the ones in Canberra. We talked to a lady in ANZ and she said there are a friendly rivalry between the people living south of the river and those living north of the river. Apparently the people north of the river looks down at the ones south.

I have seen less weird teenagers (punk hair styles with clothes too small or too big) in Canberra as well as Perth than what I see here in Edmonton, especially around the West Edmonton Mall.

One other thing i was very iompressed with which may sound silly to SA'ners, but I grew up with a socket having a switch to turn off before pulling out a plug. Well in Canada there are now such switches, you just pull out the plug even if sparks are flying. In Australia the sockets have switches again, I like it :rolleyes:

The people at the Canadian airports are customer service friendly, the ones at the Perth airport was more a relaxed friendly. The airport personnel at Canberra was nto that friendly but the general pasengers still had time to joke with a stranger. I was used to in Namibia that we saw lots of international news. What frustrated me here in Canada was that we see the bare minimum international news, they will rather show the same local news for 5 days in a row. In Edmonton we at least see the weather forecast of the whole of Canada, while in Toronto I saw only the forecast of Toronto. So the first thing that I realized when watching the Australian news, was the amount of International news coverage we saw. I was very impressed with that. They also has a program on one of the channels called Insight where they discuss housing problems and petrol prices, etc. For the housing discussion they had the minister there as well. I just get the feeling that the Aussies are more willing to take the bull by the horns while the Canadians in general believe that one should not change things if it works, doesn't matter how outdated it is. Also, I one day heard on the radio down in Lethbridge, Alberta a comment that is so true about Canadians in general. He was talking about the Kyoto and he said that Canadians like the idea of signing the Kyoto agreement but please do not dare to ask them to actually implement it or get rid of their gas gozzler cars. I do not think the previous generation Canadians were like this because Canada would not have been where it is today with that kind of attitude, but I think the last couple of generations, especially the last 2, are too mellow, they do not like to ruffle feathers, they rather look the other way. I can be wrong about the aussies, but it just seemed like that from watcihing the documentaries and news for 7 days.

View from one of the highways, I think it is hindmarsh Dr.:

post-2197-1208013707.jpg

View of Isaacs:

post-2197-1208013955.jpg

Downtown Canberra:

post-2197-1208014080.jpg

The gas prices or petrol prices (do not know what Aussies call it) is higher in Canberra than what it is in Perth. Canberra was $1.43/l, Perth $1.36/l and Edmonton currently is $1.11/l.

In short, Canberra is a beautiful place to live in, no traffic jams and lots of trees. It just need better grocery stores.

Regards,

Retha

Edited by Retha_hhr

Few Comments:

Belconnen mall is our local shopping centre but remember that it is the smallest of the three major shopping centre - Civic and Woden are much bigger and more options

All suburbs tend to have small shopping centres that will have a petrolstation, convenience store, etc.

O'Malley is totally unfordable for you unless you are a diplomat whose government pays for the house - average prices way too high and most people there are diplomats. Visit allhomes.com.au where you can find loads of info on current and past prices all over Australia. Queanbeyan is across the border in NSW and is much cheaper but does involve driving each day.

Buying cars: Yes Phillip is an option but Fyshwyck is much better as is the Belconnen area - more options. Also large fresh food markets at both these locations.

See my webphotos for a few more pictures: http://thinus.spaces.live.com/

Canberra is a great place to raise a family - go for it

T

Yes, we looked at the O'Malley houses and I thought it would be very pricy. Isaacs is just below O'Malley, so I assume it will also be too pricy for us, allthough I did see houses that looked like middle-class houses. Good to hear there are even bigger shopping centres than Belconnen. I have no idea where Civic is, but we did drove by the exit of Woden. I just checked on the map we bought and I see it is actually close to Forrest where we stayed. I cannot believe I missed it. Even 2 days wasn't enough to see Canberra.

Another place I forgot to mention where we went, was the Yarralumla Nursery. It has a very nice cafe and really worth visiting on a Saturday morning. We were able to order a toasted sandwich and got one looking like a toasted sandwich I was used to in Namibia. To explain this, if you ask for a toasted sandwich in Edmonton, you get 2 slices of bread toasted with the filling added afterwards. So if you ask for a cheese and tomato toasted sandwich, then the cheese will not be melted. And I must say the "flat white" coffee you get in Australia is the best coffee I have tasted in a very long time at a coffeeshop.

Regards,

Retha

Yes, we looked at the O'Malley houses and I thought it would be very pricy. Isaacs is just below O'Malley, so I assume it will also be too pricy for us, allthough I did see houses that looked like middle-class houses. Good to hear there are even bigger shopping centres than Belconnen. I have no idea where Civic is, but we did drove by the exit of Woden. I just checked on the map we bought and I see it is actually close to Forrest where we stayed. I cannot believe I missed it. Even 2 days wasn't enough to see Canberra.

Another place I forgot to mention where we went, was the Yarralumla Nursery. It has a very nice cafe and really worth visiting on a Saturday morning. We were able to order a toasted sandwich and got one looking like a toasted sandwich I was used to in Namibia. To explain this, if you ask for a toasted sandwich in Edmonton, you get 2 slices of bread toasted with the filling added afterwards. So if you ask for a cheese and tomato toasted sandwich, then the cheese will not be melted. And I must say the "flat white" coffee you get in Australia is the best coffee I have tasted in a very long time at a coffeeshop.

Regards,

Retha

The internet is a wonderful thing:

http://www.canberracentre.com.au/

http://www.westfield.com/corporate/retailer/au/woden.html

http://info.anu.edu.au/studyat/Internation...ginCanberra.pdf

http://www.westfield.com/belconnen//index.html

T

Retha ek is bly julle het van Canberra gehou - laat weet as ek enige iets vir julle kan doen van hierdie kant af.

En die up-side van klein grocery winkels is jy weet presies waar alles is in die winkel en jy zoem sommer vinnig daar in en uit en dan is jy klaar (ek is nie 'n groot grocery shopping fan nie so hoe vinniger ek daar uit is hoe beter!)

Hoop julle application word sommer vinnig gefinaliseer.

:rolleyes:

Goed om van jou weer te hoor Kirstin. Ek hoop dit gaan goed by die werk and dat jou kleintjie goed aanpas by die dagsorg. Of moet ek se ek hoop ma pas goed aan om weg te wees van die kleintjie :blink:

Hier is die link met retailers in Australia wat die baby carrier verkoop wat ek jou van vertel het:

http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/retailers/australia

Groetnis,

Retha

Edited by Retha_hhr

Hallo almal,

Ons gesin is ook oppad Canberra toe. Moet nog baie doen maar dis darem aan die gang.

Doen 9 Mei 2008 medies en skryf 10 Mei 2008 IELTS in Johannesburg.

My man was gelukkig n maand na ons sy CV weg gestuur het het hy n werks aanbod gekry. Rolf Group BMW in Canberra self. Is juis nou besig om die papier werk vir die visas te doen.

Kyk senuweeagtig is nie die woord nie maar doen gaan ons dit doen. Die kinders is 16 en 17 en hulle is so opgewonde hulle het al hulle kamers begin uitsorteer, en is reg om te trek.

So ek moet bieg enige inligting aangaande Canberra sal waardeer word julle is welkom om my te PM by johnboys@telkomsa.net .

Baie dankie vir almal se raad aan die wat nog daaroor dink en wat senuweeagtig en huilerig is selke bietjie help om net te bewys dis die regte ding om te doen.

Groete uit Nelspruit Mpumalanga

Johnny Rene en kinders

Hallo Johnny en Rene

Bly om van julle te hoor julle is ook op pad Canbera toe. Ons sien julle daar. Ons raak nou so haastig om te skuif dis nie waar nie. Ons hoop om darem nie later as Augustus te vlieg nie. Hoe vorder julle saak planne?

Geniet die opwindende en tog uitgerekte prosesse.

Groete

Martin, Vanessa, Corne (3) en Charlize (1 week)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Thinus

Ons land hopelik middel Mei...wag net vir die visa. :whome:

Baie dankie vir al die info. :whome:

I've been sponsored by NCP-Hospital. The hospital is organizing accomodation for us for the first 4 weeks, so my big concern :unsure: at this stage is to get the kids (9,8,and4) into a good middle class government school >>>and then find a house in the area. Do you know where the most ex-SA-kiddies go to school? If we got a place in the north, will it be a problem to commute to the south for work?

Karen Rothman

Hi Johnny en Rene!

Sterkte met julle planne!!

Ons hoop om teen middel Mei in Canberra te wees.

Karen

Edited by Karen R

Hi Thinus

Ons land hopelik middel Mei...wag net vir die visa. :whome:

Baie dankie vir al die info. :whome:

I've been sponsored by NCP-Hospital. The hospital is organizing accomodation for us for the first 4 weeks, so my big concern :unsure: at this stage is to get the kids (9,8,and4) into a good middle class government school >>>and then find a house in the area. Do you know where the most ex-SA-kiddies go to school? If we got a place in the north, will it be a problem to commute to the south for work?

Karen Rothman

Haai Karen

Goed om te hoor - watse werk gaan jy by NCDI doen? Ek weet die senior RN by die cardaic angio eenheid is ook van SA - het haar ontmoet toe ek eendag daar moes gaan vertoef het (ander storie).

Ken ongelukkig nie juis mense aan die suidekant nie - weet dat die predikant by die Jerrabomberra UC kerk 'n oud NG predikant is maar nog nooit ontmoet nie.

Ons kinders is in 'n klein privaat skool - Brindabella Christian College (http://www.bcc.act.edu.au/) en ons is baie gelukkig daar - daar is minstens nog elf ander ex-RSA kids daar wat ek van weet. Weet nie veel van ander skole nie veral nie aan suidekant nie.

Ry van Noord na Suid is nie gewoonlik 'n issue nie - omtrent nooit enige verkeersknope nie en verkeer vloei vinnig en gladweg

T

Hallo Karen

Jitte, ek wens ons kom helfde Mei al vlieg, bly vir jullle part. Ons is omtrent jaloers.

Julle moet dit geniet en ons sien julle in Canberra. :lol:

Ek is bly nou ken ons darema al iemand in die hospitaal. Baie geluk

Martin

Canberra is 'n baie oulike plek, ek dink al die nuwe mense wat nou hiernatoe gaan kom sal sommer baie lekker hier bly. Ek hou duim vas vir julle dat al julle visa-dinge en ander reelings glad af loop.

Hier is die link met retailers in Australia wat die baby carrier verkoop wat ek jou van vertel het:

http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/retailers/australia

Groetnis,

Retha

Dankie vir die link Retha. Dit was baie lekker om julle te ontmoet en ek hoop ek sien julle sommer gou weer hier! Dit is lekker om weer terug by die werk te wees, maar die een downside is dat ons aanhoudend siek is - alles goeters wat sy by daycare optel en dan kry ons dit ook - sover twee verkoues en 'n gastro gogga :ilikeit: Almal vertel ons dit is hoe dit gaan wees vir die volgende jaar en mens moet maar net vasbyt. Ek kan sien hoekom is hulle so aanhoudend siek by daycare. Nou die dag toe ek haar gaan haal het toe sit sy voor 'n spieel wat teen die muur vas geplak is en kyk so vir haarself en leen toe voorentoe en gee die spieel so groot lek. Toe wonder ek hoeveel van die 14 ander babas daar by die centre die selfde stuk spieel gelek het daardie dag...

Edited by Kurkprop

Hi Thinus

Ek gaan in die Kardio-Angio ICU werk as RN. Die unit manager is Narelle (Is dit die een van SA?)

Ek dink nie ons sal nou al 'n privaatskool kan bekostig nie :ilikeit: >>vir eers maar 'n goeie staatskool, en ' dak oor die kop. Hannes, my man, moet nog werk kry. Hy is 'n tandtegnikus - en moet nog 'n eksamen daar afle voor hy kan werk...

Ja ek het gelees van die dominee (blykbaar 'n oud-Durbanviller)

Groetnis

Karen

Edited by Karen R

Hi julle! VAN DER MERWES)

Sjoe....ja, ek hoop en bid vir middel-Mei>>>Ons bly nou al 'n maand by my ouers...glo my dis nie 'n vakansie nie! Voel eintlik sleg dat hulle so op my senuwees werk>>weet ek sal hulle baie mis!

Ek's sooo jaloers op julle ou babatjie!! Myne is nou al so groot, en die seuntjies hou nie meer daarvan as hulle mamma hulle wil druk en soen nie!! Gelukkig is sussie nog mal daaroor! :ilikeit:

Groetnis

Karen

Edited by Karen R

Hi Karen

Nee, Narelle is gebore en getoee in Oz. Genaveve kom van JHB af - het in Sandton Medi Clinic gewerk. Sy is al vir meer as 10 jaar daar en is NUM vir Angiografie. Dan is daar nog Catherine, sy werk al vir 4 jaar in ICU. Dit was die lekkerste plek waar ek nog gewerk het, maar nou ja... Manlief verkies die warm weer en ek mis die mense baie daar in Canberra. Dis soos een groot familie en jy sal heerlik aanpas daar en nooit vir 'n oomblik spyt wees jy het gegaan nie.

Ds Okkie Meyer was by die NG Kerk in Durbanville so 4 jaar terug, hy is nou "minister" by die Yurralumla Uniting Church in Canberra. Gaan gerus, mens ontmoet nogal baie SAners daar.

Die Suide is pragtig en mens ry so 15 tot 20 minute na die hospitaal - ons het in Theodore gebly en dit het rerig soos plaas gevoel. Areas wat goed is, is Kambah, Monash, Issabella Plains en Callwell, wat naby Tuggeranong shopping centre is. Kambah en Callwell het baie goeie staatsskole, met baie buitemuurse aktiwiteite. Sodra jy eers in Canberra is, vra vir Narelle - sy bly in Kambah en kan julle goeie raad gee. Dis OK om in die noorde ook te bly, maar die Hospitale is meer aan die suidekant. Omdat jy skofte gaan werk, werk dit maar dieselfde uit (tydsgewys) om daar uit te kom. Huise se huur is net goedkoper in die Suide. Kyk bietjie op www.allhomes.com.au

Dan, in Conder is daar 'n lekker groot Aldi, wat ek geweldig mis, wat nogal Ocean View wyne vanaf die Kaap verkoop. Dan, in Tuggeranong Shopping Centre, is Mothers Nature, wat heerlike vleis en groente (vars) verkoop. Callwell het sy eie Woollies, nogal.

Groetnis uit Brissie

Madelein

Edited by Madelein

Hi Madelein!

Glo my, ek's nou lelkker dik (Letterlik!en figuurlik) van al die wag. Wil nou vlieg....

Groetnis

KarenXX

Hi Karen

Nee, Narelle is gebore en getoee in Oz. Genaveve kom van JHB af - het in Sandton Medi Clinic gewerk. Sy is al vir meer as 10 jaar daar en is NUM vir Angiografie. Dan is daar nog Catherine, sy werk al vir 4 jaar in ICU. Dit was die lekkerste plek waar ek nog gewerk het, maar nou ja... Manlief verkies die warm weer en ek mis die mense baie daar in Canberra. Dis soos een groot familie en jy sal heerlik aanpas daar en nooit vir 'n oomblik spyt wees jy het gegaan nie.

Groetnis uit Brissie

Madelein

Hi Madelein

Dis nou 01h15 in die more :lol: ....Ek GOOL elke nag so. Dankie tog vir die forum>>>Dit hou my nog "sane"!!

K XX

K

Hi Karen

Ds Okkie Meyer was by die NG Kerk in Durbanville so 4 jaar terug, hy is nou "minister" by die Yurralumla Uniting Church in Canberra. Gaan gerus, mens ontmoet nogal baie SAners daar.

Die Suide is pragtig en mens ry so 15 tot 20 minute na die hospitaal - ons het in Theodore gebly en dit het rerig soos plaas gevoel. Areas wat goed is, is Kambah, Monash, Issabella Plains en Callwell, wat naby Tuggeranong shopping centre is. Kambah en Callwell het baie goeie staatsskole, met baie buitemuurse aktiwiteite. Sodra jy eers in Canberra is, vra vir Narelle - sy bly in Kambah en kan julle goeie raad gee. Dis OK om in die noorde ook te bly, maar die Hospitale is meer aan die suidekant. Omdat jy skofte gaan werk, werk dit maar dieselfde uit (tydsgewys) om daar uit te kom. Huise se huur is net goedkoper in die Suide. Kyk bietjie op www.allhomes.com.au

Dan, in Conder is daar 'n lekker groot Aldi, wat ek geweldig mis, wat nogal Ocean View wyne vanaf die Kaap verkoop. Dan, in Tuggeranong Shopping Centre, is Mothers Nature, wat heerlike vleis en groente (vars) verkoop. Callwell het sy eie Woollies, nogal.

Groetnis uit Brissie

Madelein