coffee in melbourne

Scotty

Wouldn't a ladies coffee/cake get together be a good idea?? any good organisers?

Ja dit sal lekker wees wag net vir my. Ons is nou besig met ons agent en sy weet hoe hastig ons is om oor te gaan.

Grappie

Johan & Denice

• 5 months later...

Hi,

We arrived in Melbourne on the 17th March, and after a very busy couple of weeks, and to cut a long story short, we've found a house to rent, bought a car and had a baby! There's obviously a long story to all that, but I was transferred through my company so everything has happened really quickly.

Obviously there is a lot going on in our lives at the moment, but it would help if we starting feeling like we were part of the community. We don't know anyone in Australia (except for a niece in Newcastle) and my wife particularly is feeling very lonely (and starting to long for the friends we had back in Durban).

I was wondering if you had any ideas, and especially news of any events being planned that could help us start making some friends/contacts.

Thanks,

Craig.

P.S: We're in the South-East of Melbourne in Mulgrave (Post Code 3170)

Hi Craig and family!

Have a look at Melbourne get-together: Picnic/Braai (Public Event) - planned for Sunday 25th of May 2008.

Pls tell your wife to hang in there :lol: - everybody (well, most immigrants) goes through the same feelings at first...perfectly normal. As soon as one mingles and get involved, the isolation is broken. It's not an easy process (I hear - I have yet to land in Oz and go through it myself :holy: ), but the initial loneliness and feeling like you don't belong is temporary if you remember to work (baby steps!) on your outlook and attitude.

Hope you feel at home in Melbourne very soon!

Hello Craig

I know exactly how you and your wife are feeling. It is tough in the beginning but as everyone will tell you it does get better. We live in Wheelers Hill (just down the road from Mulgrave). I work from home and am more than happy to get together with your wife for some company/support. Send me a PM with your details and we can sort something out.

Regards

Carolyn

I was wondering if you had any ideas, and especially news of any events being planned that could help us start making some friends/contacts.

Thanks,

Craig.

P.S: We're in the South-East of Melbourne in Mulgrave (Post Code 3170)

Hi Craig

Follow the link Kangeroo was talking about and please join us for a day out with the South Africans in Melbourne. You will meet heaps of South Africans and a lot of them also fairly new and lonely and on the lookout for friendship.

I will PM you my details and please have your wife contact me to arrange a get toegether of some kind.

Regards

Hello Craig

I know exactly how you and your wife are feeling. It is tough in the beginning but as everyone will tell you it does get better. We live in Wheelers Hill (just down the road from Mulgrave). I work from home and am more than happy to get together with your wife for some company/support. Send me a PM with your details and we can sort something out.

Regards

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn

Thanks for reaching out to the newbies. You won't believe how many new arrivals since March in Melbourne! I hope they all make it to the picnic!

D

Hi Dorien

Happy to help where I can. I am amazed at how much new activity is happening with people either on their way or newly arrived.

Back to Scotty's question - I for one would love a coffee/cake get together - hope we can make a plan.

Cheers

Carolyn

Now if you guys arrange it on a Friday, then I may just surprise you and attend!

Now if you guys arrange it on a Friday, then I may just surprise you and attend!

Woooooooooohooooooooooo.... ok so where is the next tea D??

Woooooooooohooooooooooo.... ok so where is the next tea D??

Hehe - I suppose that "D" is me??

I'll see what we can put together.

In the meanwhile - don't miss the Melbourne get together on the 25th May.

Also PM Oubossies if you are able to get together during week time. She'll add you to the mailing list for the midweek get togethers for chat, cake and tea.

Are there many working ladies also interested in getting together for coffee - perhaps on a Friday or Saturday?

Our Melbourne family is growing!

I will PM Oubossies but please add me to any list that is doing the rounds for coffee and cake. I have been here 6 weeks now and haven't found a part time job yet so until I do an outing that doesn't involve grocery shopping sounds wonderful.

Amy

Hello Melbournians!!!!

I have just accepted a job offer and in the next 2 or so months we should be heading your way. My wife is already dreading the move and I was wondering if she would be able to join a coffee and cake group like this one when the time comes so that she can make friends and try to make it home as quickly as possible.

Also if there is anyone that she can be in e-mail contact with who has also been through this, I think it would help a lot.

Please let me know and well done to very useful info on this site!!

Regards

Kevin Venter

Hi Kevventer

I have sent you a PM, your wife would be more than welcome to join any of the Melbourne activities!

Hi Kevin

If you PM (private message) me your wife's email address, I will make sure I add her to our "social" distribution list and I will also forward her details to the cake-and-tea club.

Amy

Oubossies is on leave at the moment – so PM me your email address and I’ll make sure they add you to their list.

Hello,

I too, am new to Melbourne, been here 6 weeks (spent 2007 in Adelaide, then 5 months back in South Africa) and would love to join your Coffee Club! Please include me on your list!

Really want to come to the Get together at the Park next Sunday, however, my husband might be working :unsure:

Regards,

Janis

Hello,

I too, am new to Melbourne, been here 6 weeks (spent 2007 in Adelaide, then 5 months back in South Africa) and would love to join your Coffee Club! Please include me on your list!

Really want to come to the Get together at the Park next Sunday, however, my husband might be working :unsure:

Regards,

Janis

Hi Janis

Welcome to Melbourne.

I will make sure to let you know about the next Coffee Club meeting.

Please send met your email-address - will put you on the distribution list.

Would be great if you can make it next Sunday.

• 7 months later...

Hi Doortjie

Is this group still running? My wife, son and I have been in Melbourne since August 2008 and would like to meet other South Africans that live here.

Regards

Kevin

Kevin, we are based in Balwyn North. You are welcome to send me a pm if you want to get together at some stage. We have three kids: 10, 7 and 20 months

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Melbournites

My name is Jeanne Nel de Koker. We have relocated to Geelong, Victoria in September 2008. Now considering to move to Melbourne - husband's work takes him to Melbourne frequently. He is at Deakin University. We are thinking about Vermont, Wantirna, Ferntree Gully, Wheelers Hill, Mulgrave.. Anything in the vicinity of Deakin Uni. How is Mulgrave and can one consider Rowville?

Do you know the schools in the area? have you heard of Waverley Christian College?

Our children are aged 10 and 5 and used to be in a Christian School, the King's School, in South Africa.

Then also, how do I get on the distribution list for socials? Would love to participate!

Kind regards

Jeanne

• 3 months later...

Doortjie and Mara,

Please add me to your Coffee Club as well? We've been here in Melbourne for 4 months now.

Thanks

Lana

• 5 weeks later...