The houses in Aus are not so great

Doug

But that being said - around our neighbourhood there are some really nice houses starting to pop up. (mostly the newer suburbs)

PS: have a look at some of these - in my area - all for less than $500,000...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nilo

• Duane W

• HansaPlease

• pino

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't see anything wrong with the houses in Oz (in Perth anyway)... we have been here 2 weeks and just bought one - http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsear...s&tm=1195794209 100% brick and mortar. The front garden needs a bit of work, but that's no biggie.

I love everything about Australia so far!!

Nice House but I'd paint the garage in a different colour though

Hey Bosluis.... where's your 6-feet high fence? :blush:

What happened to Dedrei from Cairns... I would love to hear about houses in Cairns!

When my teenagers realised we won't have a swimming pool and a nice big house, they were actually shocked! But then we've told them you can actually go to the public swimming pools and all the public areas are clean, they smiled.... And gardening.... something we can live without. When we arrived home about an hour ago, my husband mentioned our overgrown garden (after a week of constant rain, you can just imagine how it will look like!) We have a bit of gardening to do before putting the house on the market :)

I must honestly admin - I hope to be staying in a brick house in Australia, but I guess you cannot be too picky!

Are there no swimming pools at all at any home?

How far to drive to public pool?

Must say, I think clean public pools can be nice, get to meet new friends! Not swimmig by yourself at home - boring!

LIGGIE

(Ah, lovely! Like the new fast reply!!!!)

Liggie, you do get houses with pools but remember pools are extra work and there sometimes just aint the time!! Lots of people have Spa's (jacuzy)though. You get those that are completely moveable, so even if you'r renting you just empty it and take it with. Much less work and much cheaper and you can sit in there and have a cocktail. Clarkes Rubber also have an affordable above ground pool. I think they have a website so go look see.

Regarding the wooden houses, you should see the foundation!! Called a floating foundation and works well but just another thing that is so different to what we're used to.

All said that's the joy of migrating, all the new things!! I love the laundries and the Kitchens and the DISHWASHERS!!!!

Hi there

There are plenty of houses with pools, probably not as many as SA but we have the beach and lots of public pools. Our pool maintenance is included in our rent.

Putting in a pool is quite expensive and one has to get planning permission also so that might be a reason that there arnt as many as in SA.

The houses take some getting used to, our house is over a hundred years old, we love it, has soo much character, you will find you get a modern project home, next to a old 50s style place next to a not so swish home etc, it does take a while to get used. Also don't judge a book by the cover some homes look really great inside but not so lekker from the outside.

I thought I'll give you a "close up" of our "extreme" Security, actually sent this photo to my Sister in SA. It's actually laughable that they call this burglarbars here!!!

What they do to break in is a little kid puts their hand through the fly screen or cuts through with a knife. (My picture shows the inside of the SECURITY door) and pushes over the latch amd the door opens, but muny leave their homes unlocked anyway.

I work at a HIGH security governemtn instalation. We have an electric gate that is amateur compared to a SOuth African Centurion System. They have a big opening between the gate and the fence. I said to them I could get in in less than 2 minutes, all I needed was a child. I threw a lolly (sweet) inside and asked a child to go through and get it for themselves, showing the way to go. In they went and triggering the exit beam, opening the gate.

No body want to talk about it any more.

it is the same here, all the security only stops peple who would not break in, but the crooks will find a way.

They are just more determined in South Africa

post-1085-1202002425.jpg

Hi,

Photo of our Rental in Prestons, NSW @ $450/week

post-1962-1202027592.jpg

post-1962-1202027777.jpg

Edited by E & CJ

Die nuwe huise in Suid-Afrika is "shocking". Alles is skeef. Die mure, die vloere, die vensters, die storte, die krane, die muurproppe, die teels, die plafonne. Groot "gaps" tussen die vloer en vloerlyste. Die "Master Builders Association" het al hul misnoee uitgespreek oor die skokkende gehalte van bouwerk in Suid-Afrika. Dreinering is "non-existent". Mure het "rising damp" en kaste ryk muf. Kon nie "venetian blinds" in een van ons huise insit nie, so skeef was die vensters. En hierdie geverfde Yskor staal vensterrame - JIG! Geen insulasie in die dakke nie. Plak net bakstene opmekaar en sit terracotta dakteels op en skielik is dit 'n Tuscan "villa".

.. Big wrap around balcony.

I think the balconies / verandas are great

Edited by JanCpt

Hi

We did a LSD trip in October to Sydney and Melbourne and we were quite taken back at how plain and dissapointing the houses are in Australia. We looked at Sydney in the area of Davidson , Frenchs Forest , Forestville and Saint Africa ( Saint Ives) and we were blown away at the very average houses that were around. Off course 1 in every about 10 houses was OK but the other 9 were really dissapointing.

Additionally I think 90% of Australians don't know what gardening is ! the 10 % who had some sort of garden were probably Ex South africans. Having said that I know there are big water shortages which is adding to the problem. Also there are no garden boys there.

Having said all the above I am definately not looking for a fancy place but what we did see was all in the 750 to 1M price range. Saint Africa was better but still not as great as I had percieved it to be.

Have most other people felt this way and once you arrived you settle in and adapt to the surroundings , could it be that I drove up all the wrong streets ? Could some people comment maybe October is the dryest month . Over all I really got to see that you need to really have very deep pockets to try and get something with a nice feel and to get something with a nice feel will not be available under 800K

Please enlighten me

PS ( I am sorting out a highly skilled visa for my garden boy )

Thanks

Doug

I know exactly what you mean by the disappointing houses in Australia. Everything is made of plywood, and therefore there is no insulation - Aussies live with the airconditioner on.

Can you imagine your kids playing around and one of them pushes the other one "through" the wall?

I want a full brick house...

Edited by mohammedm

Here's a little Happy Snap of our House, taken last week. :D

Lovely isn't it. At the moment it gets a bit cold at night, I have to admit, and the insulation is terrible. It's also not very burglar proof. The roof has a terrible leak too - whenever it rains I get wet. :jester:

post-2031-1203042413.jpg

I just looked at a house in Wellington point in Brisbane. It costs $375 per week, and the train runs behind it! :whome:

I'm getting a bit desperate for somewhere to live. I need to find a house that allows dogs that I can also afford.

Pratig!!!! Wragtig Pragtig!!!

Hoop julle bly baie lekker!!

Thanks Nilo - and we still have not moved in although we have been paying rent since 08 Jan.. still waiting for our furniture to arrive :whome:

Most expensive warehouse yet. :lol:

Estelle

Saw on one of the treads about brick houses in Perth. Do they build brick houses every where and you also get the wooden/pannel jobs, or are those the only types you get in certain areas? What about Brisbane? Brick Houses? Are all the houses in Brissie old Q styled?

Hi Doug

I'm trying to fathom out what you conceive as a nice house. Not getting it? I suppose it depends on where you live at the moment in SA as to what you are expecting to find in Australia.

I have no problem with the houses I have seen and lived in in the past 10 months. But then we decided when in Rome, and left all (previously programmed) expectations behind.

When we arived we lived in a lovely highset Queenslander for 6 months, they have a charm of their own, very oldy worldy. It only had 2 bedrooms so when the lease was up we moved into a modern 4 bed 2 bath house with double garage. It's lovely and spacious and was lovely and clean when we moved in.

My only gripe would be the "thin" walls and the very small yard/garden but then I've also got used to that.

My suggestion is that you go to realestate.com.au and have a look at the properties available, maybe you did drive down the wrong roads?

N

Well said Sunflower :whome: I totally agree with you.

Cheers

In the end it is just material stuff. Be thankful for the roof over your head and food on your table. And ofcourse a country that offer you a chance to afford those little things aswell as security, stability, a future for your kids, etc. You know all those immaterial things that Maslow determined to be very important.