• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nilo

• Duane W

• HansaPlease

• pino

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hierdie is ene wat ek sommer gou van realestate.com.au afgelaai het, redelik tipies

Edited by Pippa

I hope I'm making sense to anybody.

My still-in-S.A.-2c-worth.

Absolute perfect sense. Great post. :ilikeit:

And wasn't it fantastic.

My sister stays in Mona Vale Sydney and her street has a ruling that fences can only be natural wood, max 3ft in the front and max 6ft at the back.

In my suburb in Adelaide no fences whatsoever are permitted on the street-side of houses.

Dax

Edited by Dax

I enjoyed looking at the houses in Brisbabne in your link - always interesting to see how people live in other parts of the world. I also think the prices are pretty reasonable, but then I am comparing it to where I live in Toronto.

One thing I did notice though, was how many homes have burgular bars and security gates. That is something I have not seen here, but perhaps crooks just don't come out as much in icy weather!! :ilikeit:

The burglar bars and security gates are actually fly screens EVERY house has flyscreens as they are a real plague. There is a half hearted attempt at a burglar bar made out of die cast aluminium included in the frame.

I think a determined 6 year old could break through them.

:huh: LOL, I like the fly screen comment. We have decided to rent, and doubt if we will buy for a long time if ever. The calculations of rent versus bond, and the return on investment using the monetarie difference of rent to bond as the ongoing invested amount, it is far more worth renting. But Each to their own.

I thought I'll give you a "close up" of our "extreme" Security, actually sent this photo to my Sister in SA. It's actually laughable that they call this burglarbars here!!!

How true Nilo! All our windows are covered with fly screen and all the doors have these 'security bars' on with fly screening. We sleep at night with all the doors and windows open. It is too easy to gain access though these doors... you just lift them out of the railing. Easy peasy. :huh:

Hi Sunflower,

I did exactly that the other day with the screen door at my sliding door, had to wash it you see it was full of dust, I don't think it weighed 100g, butter is heavier!!

But it keeps the flies and mozzies out and my doggy in!

Lovies

N

Those Bl**dy fly screens nearly killed my daughter and I recently.....

There we were, under attack from the biggest locust I have EVER seen. We were trapped in the passageway and had thrown every item of clothing from the laundry onto him to immobilise him. Finally, a t-shirt secured him; I rushed to grab him, and THREW him as far as I could out the window - only to have the t-shirt fall off and him bounce RIGHT BACK AT ME off the fly-screens!!!!

I nearly had a flipping heart-attack!!

My daughter and I were running around in circles trying to escape the now very confused Giant Locust who was also trying to escape from us I think....

Whoever designed those things has made a mint; every house has exactly the same kind.

Hi,

Havoc to answer your question, the whole thing is extruded aluminium and then it gets pulled/expanded into the diamond shape. Hubby did some work at a company that makes these "security" screens!!

Tracy, the locust story, lol!! Thats the only time one has to have a man in the house. I shout "darling!!!" and run and hide until the goggo's are gone!! I love my hubby!!

N

Nilo

No, No, No.... You are not well. I shout WIFFIE as this is the case with me. I am the nerd delux when it comes to flying jobs. (Cockroaches and my extreme pet hate " Pray mentas " (correct spelling I think).

We did a stint in Walvis Baai for 3 years in the early 90's and you always had the swarm of locusts coming in from the desert, thousands of the buggers. I use to hide in the car when we got home and wiffie ran to open the front door. They were damn everwhere the buggers.

Now you know Pino is baaie skrik vir sulker dinnige... (hows the Afrikaans for a Durban boy !). That is why I live out of Durbs.... No Croackes, but plenty of the my friends (NOT) Praymentas.

So to answer your question I love my Wiffie.. I suppose we are all human.

Cheers

Pino

Hey Pino

You aint seen cockroaches until you've lived in the Seychelles!! Hubby used to have to go to the outer Islands often so I was at home alone. Now these huge flying machines used to just wait when he was gone to come and visit!!! I used a tin of Doom on one!!! Yuk.

Now on the Islands we didn't have these "fabulous" flyscreen security system, we needed the breeze to get in!!!

Talk about nerve wrecking!!! I also HATE locusts!!!!

N

Sorry bit of a hijack!

Hi Nilo

Well I agree... Stayed at Emerald Cove on Praslin for 2 weeks and damn those buggers were all over the place. So I can Imagine. Love the south island the best...

Did you enjoy the lifestyle there.. Always did think of us living there there but thought we may be a bit bored... Only after awhile because we love the sun & beach.

Cheers

Pino

Hi Pino

Love love loved it there. We were on Mahe but I visited Praslin often as we did sterilization clinics there. (worked with SPCA)

Never got bored, had many friends a rubber duck called patches and did the SPCA thing! Fabulous time of our lives. Prepared us well for the Aussie thing!

N

Hi Nilo

Just saw your post on Dozi and glad you had a ball in Aus with him. He has some very good numbers, that even this :censored: appreciates. It must be my Walvis Bay days when we used to sing Wossie Visser numbers" My Hound het my biscuit ".

It is so good to hear you enjoyed seychelles as we too did really love both Islands and I know my wife would love to stay there. We met some good friends who now work in some of the RSA Hotels recently developed. I am so chuffed you worked with the SPCA and helped the Island animals.. One thing I found about the dogs (most of them I think, to a degree) is like Mauritius they are so street wise. I think working with the SPCA in SEY would have been too sad for me.

Keep well & chat soon.

Pino.

I don't see anything wrong with the houses in Oz (in Perth anyway)... we have been here 2 weeks and just bought one - http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsear...s&tm=1195794209 100% brick and mortar. The front garden needs a bit of work, but that's no biggie.

I love everything about Australia so far!! :D:ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit:

Wow, Taegan! That's quite a house you have there! :D Congratulations!

Doug, the areas in Sydney you drove through are the "older", more established areas and with that the style of building would be very relevant to the period in which it was built. In those days it was the latest & greatest - same as the "posh" areas in Pretoria which now has the older style houses whereas the newer developments has the hip style of building. Most of these old houses are renovated & very stylish inside with a lot of character, huge backyards & often, full brick, whereas the newer, more "hip" homes have "weetbix" walls & small backyards. You also get the very old federation type houses which is very much in demand and absolutely gorgeous, but then, if that's not your cup of tea, you would not agree. House values are not so much linked to size/style as to the proximity of the city & the water - again, depending on your lifestyle you might want to compromise on size for the benefit of an ocean view.

We live in a "hip" house with a backyard the size of a dining room, but that's what we chose & we're very happy living here. It cuts down on the time spent maintaining the garden as we do not have the luxury of a "garden boy" - the parks & beaches are our backyard instead! :D I must say, were were initially also disappointed at the houses in Aus, but we based that on our first impression.

There's a whole lot of lovely houses for each taste & lifestyle to choose from - from heritage to stainless Steel & Glass, you just have to look around a bit & do your homework. :ilikeit: