Trade apprenticeship required

Guest colton

Guest colton

My youngest brother, 22years old, lives with me, has since he was 13years old, long story, desperately wants to come to Australia with my family. He lived there for about a year while he backpacked and worked there as a waiter, lacky, construction worker, whatever was available. I cannot get him in on our skilled migration visa as his age dictates that he comes in on his own points. No way he comes even near to the points needed.

He has shown a great interest in doing a carpentry trade but even plumbing is something he is keen on doing. He does want to do a trade though! How do I go about getting him an apprenticeship in australia? Does he need to be sponsored in by a company, and how do I find out about those kinds of companies? Any advice is desperately required. My family is very depressed at the thought that he will not be able to come over with us. Once we get our visa we will land with PR, how can I get him over then?

He is a really super people person with great work ethic and hard work is not something he shy's away from, he is working at the moment and all his resumes praise him and say what a great asset he is. He is even interested in joining the military there to get a trade but you need PR for that.

Hi Colton,

There is a Trade Skills Training Visa which your brother could consider. Have a look at http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/tst/index.htm for details.

We looked at this visa when it first came out as our son (18 year old) is also wanting to start an apprenticeship as a carpenter. Unfortunately it is not the easiest of visas to get as there are a number of criteria that the company who will sponsor has to meet.

Cheers,

Paula

Guest colton

Thanks had already looked at that but how do we get a company to sponsor him? How do we contact companies and request an apprenticeship? As you say it is quite a difficult process. Maybe once we have settled he can come over on holiday and then go apply all over while he is here, maybe that would be more productive?

Thanks for your input, we don't want him to waste time and he is soooo keen to start a trade but here back home if you aren't the right colour the apprenticeships are just not available to you.

Me again.

Another possible alternative-not first prize.

Colton, we brought out my nephew.

He came on a student visa.

Enrolled at the Gold Coast TAFE for a Building and Design Diploma(2 years)

Cost for international student: $15 000.(complete)

He was allowed to work 20 hours per week,so he was completely self-sufficient.

6 months after completing his course he qualified for PR.(It has to be a 2 year diploma)

I have just looked at www.goldcoast.tafe.gov.au

I see that Carpentry and Plumbing is not open to International students.

Maybe other Tafes will accept International Students?

Good Luck

Guest colton

Anything is better than nothing!!! Great will definitely look into this as well.

You are a star, thank goodness I will be staying close to you, hopefully :rolleyes: and then I can pick your brains some more. :ilikeit:

Looking forward to it. You cannot leave this boy behind. He seems like a child in your home. Tjis is a very viable option but not the trade he wants. A bit of a bugger. But ,people in the construction field are earning top dollar here. I can hook him up with my nephew and his best mate(ex Kearsney) and he will have an immediate group of friends!