Funny things your pet does

Retha_hhr

Your Balinese are beautiful Mara. My one cat is also a blue point Balinese. However she doesn't have the startling blue eyes, something must have gone wrong with her breeding. Her pupils are most of the time very big, I guess that is maybe because she is an indoor cat. However when light does shine directly in her eyes you can see it is blue.

My other cat is an Abyssinian.

Here is a picture of Tammy:

And here is Brutsky:

Sorry for the small pictures, but I apparently is running out of global space.

Regards,

Retha

Edited by Retha_hhr

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mara

• slingshot

• Retha_hhr

• Antoinette

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are absolutely beautiful Retha. I have promised myself that one day I am going to have a black spotted Bengal!

Hi Pofstert, my friend in Calgary has a cat that looks exactly like you ginger one. Is he/she still a baby? My firend's cat is twice the size of Tammy, but a real softy.

Mara, have you ever been to a cat show? I have visited it twice and most of the cats on show is the bengal. It is a beautiful cat and apparently not afraid of water. They are very interactive with humans and apparently extremely active. I like the spotted snowy ones. I have seen there the Main Coons as well as one Norwegian Forest cat. They are huge especially the latter.

Pofstert, they are gorgeous! I love pussycats, never mind the pedigree!

Retha, yes have been to many cat shows, my love for them goes back to my childhood. I love the Maine Coons for their size, biggest domestic cat, and the Norwegian Forest for their magnificent looks, but alas, both are long haired and that is starting to get to me. Grooming takes time, furballs are a pain, and therefore I have made up my mind that if there is a next time round, it has to be a smooth coated pussycat, ie, Bengal or perhaps an Ocicat.

We had such a chuckle, our boy, Babski, is such a smart little bugger! We had a newly arrived SA couple staying with us for three weeks. Adele smokes, but of course outside. My cats are inside cats and only allowed out when accompanied. It took Babski exactly two days to realise that Adele would go out for a 'smoko' and thereafter he was 'talking' and 'nudging' her when he wanted to go out for his 'smoko'. He will be ten next year April, so don't tell me you cannot teach an old cat new tricks!

Ag sjaim Pofstert, hulle is VERSKRIKLIK oulik!

How can people not love kitties like that!

And yet I've met people who proudly declare that they HATE cats.

Cats don't have owners, only admirers. :whome:

André S.

Hi everyone :)

The 2 buggers are about 2 years now but very small compared to other cats.

Lulu (ginger) is a he-she ...thinks it's a she but is actually an it now :D:whome:

Bought this cute fridge magnet today, "Cats are not clean, they are just covered in catspit" :lol:

Pofstert

Ek is ook maar 'n katmens en ontmoet vir Sokkies, ons Ozzie Afrikaanse kat. Het hom aangeneem op 7 maande in Sydney, hy het saam met ons die koue Canberra trotseer en is nou in Brisbane. Het vir 6 weke die strate ingevaar en ek was rasend van bekommernis, maar ons het hom gelukkig teruggekry net toe ons heeltemal moed opgegee het. Gelukkig was hy ge"microchip" Op die oomblik heet hy Mr Bones omdat hy nog so bietjie maer is na sy "vakansie"

Sy is deesdae mal oor sy box en slaap deesdae daar, waar hy altyd by ons op die bed geslaap het. Maar sy beste ding ooit, is om my soggens te kom wakker maak vir kos deur my hare te krap - dis so lekker. As ek nie gou genoeg aandag gee nie, kan dit nogals seer raak.

Groetnis

Madelein

post-30-1196462441.jpg

post-30-1196462487.jpg

post-30-1196462509.jpg

Edited by Madelein

Madelein ek is bly jy het jou kat terug gekry. Jy kat is pragtig.

Praat van mense wat nie van katte hou nie. Ek het eers in Canada 'n kat gekry. My man is 'n honde mens en dus het ons altyd net honde gehad. Toe besluit ek maar om op te lees oor katte wat besig is en gesels en van mense geselskap hou. Nou is my man so mal oor ons Balinese dat hy haar sy kat noem. Hy het haar geleer rof speel soos 'n mens met 'n hond sal maak en hy dra haar soms kop onderste bo en sy sit, maar moet nie 'n fout maak nie, as dit haar beurt is dan byt sy vir hom dat hy luister. Ek het hom net die leviete voor gelees dat hy nie my ander kat ook mag leer rof speel nie.

Groetnis

Retha

Edited by Retha_hhr

Pragtig Madelein, ek hou van daai kittekat!

Hi Slingshot

This is the only one that I am aware of, but if the allergy is really bad I don't even think this one will be OK as it is not 100%

http://www.siberiancats.com/allergy.htm

Here are some of my sisters cats:

post-276-1196689622.jpg

The one in front is Charlie, we got her when my sister and I where at university together. We had her and her sister Sammy. But Sammy was hit by a car :ilikeit: . Charlie is a Siamese Balinese cross and is very vocal and affectionate. If you dont get out of bed when she wants food, she will bite your nose! We didnt name them when we first got them cos we figured cats dont come when you call them anyway so when we took them to the vet, they asked for their names and we said Kat een and Kat twee. They were horrified so my sister made up some names :holy: Charlie will also only drink water that is pooled in a basin or bath and she likes water :blush:

The one in the background is a long haired persian called Spookie because she wafts in and out of the house like a ghost and is always so quiet, but very sweet.

Not featured here is Teddy who is a white semi long haired exotic and Moeksie, who is a pavement special I found in a box at school many years ago.

The tail in the left of the picture belongs to Udu a german shepard who I also call Streep because he so skinny, even when they feed him only Science diet. But unfortunately he has some health problems eventhough he is pure bred with a big list of names on his certificate.

I never got any pets, cos I wanted to move overseas first, so guess what I will be doing as soon as we have a garden :D

Thanks Mara

I heard about Persian Chinchilla? do you know anything? Apparently a vet has recommended this specie and the child does not experience allergic symptoms anymore.

Here are some photos:

http://images.google.co.za/images?hl=en&q=...F-8&sa=N&tab=wi

:blush:

Some of them look like tortillas?

Here is a website I found with tips on how to have a cat even if you are allergic to them. They also suggest 2 breeds, which unfortunatly in my opinion is the ugliest cats I have ever seen, sorry for those who may have one.

http://cats.about.com/cs/allergiesandcats/...rgiestocats.htm

It sounds like a lot of work to me. My husband is a bit allergic to cats and definitely to long-haired dogs. I first bathed my cats once a week but they never got used to it. I after a year switched over to bath wipes for cats and try to wipe the cats off once a week. That helps and if I brush them regularly. We also have a vacuum cleaner which has a hepa filter and the bag of the vacuum cleaner is specific for allergies (no paper, it's a thick woven fabric) and here in Canada our house must have filters anyways for the furnace, so we only buy the one for allergies.

When we bought Brutsky (our abysinian) the breeder told me that even people with allergies are fine with the abysinian. My husband will more easily get a rash from our balinese before he gets one from Brutsky, but then Tammy will be all over him while Brutsky tends to be more my cat and not so fond of my husband (I guess it is a male territory thing :( ).

Hope the website gives you some idea.

Retha

Hi Slingshot

I am dubious about a Chinchilla persian, as they are long-haired with a double coat and spend their days washing and you would have to groom them every single day to keep the knots away. It is the grooming, by cat and human, that is the problem. So no, I would not believe that they are good for people with allergies. My guess is that one of the hairless cats would be a far better bet, ugly, but better.

The best two would be the Sphynx or the Devon/Cornish Rex, as said, they are not the prettiest, but the best for allergies.

Hi Slingshot,

I read the responses and thought I should weigh in to defend Persians. Chinchillas are silver white Persians with a classic longer nosed face. Golden Chinchillas are also available now, beautiful but quite rare.

My wife has asthma and is allergic to just about everything. The problem is that she loves cats. Her mother has six cats, four moggies and two siamese. When we visit the in-laws, she sneezes constantly. Our persian is however no problem.

You would think that a long haired cat would be more of a problem, but not so. The breed tends to be very docile and frankly, grooming is a losing battle, for cat and owner. The cat will lick itself occasionally for instinct's sake but I've heard (& seen) that too much licking can result in hairballs. Ours has puked up no more than one hairball a year but it isn't the end of the world for us fortunately. Some cats have to have them removed by a vet.

As Mara pointed out, grooming is a mission. Ours doesn't like being brushed, so we don't do much brushing. A good shave by the parlour once or twice a year leaves kitty looking very cute and looking like a little lion or Cornish Rex with a mane and fluffy tail for a few weeks.

Many cat lovers don't consider Persians real cats as they are so dopey. They are useless hunters and are really just bouncy fluffy teddy bears. That was a plus factor for me as I don't like being nagged for food by a Siamese or the constant shedding of short hair by most cats, not that I don't like them. I love all cats. Strangely, I find Persian fur easier to deal with from a cleaning/management point of view. Shaving between seasons takes care of everything. There are beautiful breeds and moggies are also characters. Ours isn't really interested in food and is completely happy with her Eukanuba pellets. Low maintenance pet.

Beware though that Persians are known to have genetic kidney side effects. Ours is one of them but it is manageable with the right low protein food. Check out that the breeder's cats have been checked by a vet and are free of this condition.

Chinchillas are as I understand it, the first Persians. South African breeders have unfortunately decided to breed for cuteness and the desired look is to get the nose to line up with the eyes. The face looks as though the cat ran into a wall. This is really a physical defect which leads to weeping eyes and breathing problems. I don't know how the SPCA actually allows this cruel practice. The "old style" Persian is called the "doll face" Persian and Chinchillas are mostly "doll faces".

Ours had a Chinchilla father and a grey mother, resulting in a blue-cream perisan. Note the more "normal" nose and eyes.

I don't think you should be put off getting a persian. Go and visit a breeder and see how you and your family react to the cat. Getting a "no hair" cat is a bit extreme and I stand to be corrected, but I think they lick themselves as well. Animals are instinct driven, not guilt/vanity focussed. I believe it's the dry cat spit that causes the allergies.

We are planning to get many more Persians & Chinchillas in Australia.

André S.

Some people also find that whilst they are allergic to other people's cats they develop a tolerance to ones they live with. Had a friend who was highly asthmatic but her houesmate had a Persian and she could tolerate it. Have also heard that many people tolerate long haired cats better than short hairs. But as has been said arrange to meet with a breeder of the particular variety of cat you are interested in and see how you go (just remember your allergy medication for in case).

Thanks Andre for that info on the Chincilla's - I thought all Persians had the squashed in faces now so good to know some more normal looking Persians still exist.

We have persians as well. Below is Gizmo - she is a cream. Her breeder had 36 persians - and there were three different litters available at the time to choose from. Gizmo's kitty mom won the Grand National Champion of South Africa titel 3 times running! But, I chose Gizmo not for her looks, but for her temprament. She raced over to me and adopted me! (I was actually there to buy a completely different kitten from another of the litters - a smokey-grey,but Gizmo was very purr-suasive). She is not a wonderful example - her face is flat, but not concave, so her expression is not grumpy enough. We love persians, but would rather have the less flat face and avoid all the breathing and eye problems.

giz4.jpg

Our other persian is Newton. Unfortunately I don't have a piccie of him here (he is very camera shy), but he is a black (aka, very dark brown). He is also a "bad" example - chosen on purpose because we love the nature, but want to avoid the medical problems. Good choice - Newton is now almost 14 years old, which is VERY good for a persian. And geriatric he is not! He is very spritley and playful.

Perisans are the most loveable cats - I joke that Gizmo is a complete slut! :P This is because whatever visitors arrive, she will spend the evening going from one visitor to the next for lovies, scratches and general affection! Newton is very loving, but only with our family - he is a bit weary of strangers. I love their social characters, although Gizmo is attention-seeking bordering on being extremely needy! :ilikeit: Aloofness is just not these cats game at all. My kitties tend to be more goofy - they don't quite have the grace of Siamese and when they jump down from a table, you will hear the "booof" of them landing (unlike other cats). Unlike other cats, they love to be cuddled and have no problems with lying on their backs or being cradled like a baby.

Unlike Andre's experience, both my persians are extremely good hunters (supprisingly more so Newton the old one). We used to joke that when they brought pigions in, they probably only managed because they waited for them to roost and fall asleep! :P Its not strictly true though - both cats occasionally bring me completely live, unharmed "presents" which the usually deposit on my face while I am sleeping! :P These presents range from Bobbejaan spiders, moles, field mice, geckos, pigions and once, a frog! :ilikeit: But ya - normally, they are not hunters at all. I think the only reason why mine hunt is that we live on the edge of the dune reserve which is abundant in small wildlife!

Gosh, I can go on and on - Persians are the BEST! :P

Edited by Gizmo

Hi Andre

Thank you so much for correcting me, I am glad to hear that mostly persians can be tolerated by people with allergies.

My sister used to breed persians, a long time ago, and of course, at the time we had four of them. Two sealpoints, a black smoke and a blue cream, most beautiful and terrible cuddle sluts, as my son used to say. The blue cream, Sappha, was the best hunter in the world. She was a huge cat though with paws to match. We had a problem with little field mice that came into the house from the veld next door. No problem to Sappha, she would nab it, close her paw over it, then sit down and turn her paw around so that she could watch it squirm. Needless to say, she was quite happy for one of us to relieve her of her catch, so that we could put it back over the fence and it could return another day.

You know - I didn't know the part about the allergies, but it makes sense!

One of our best friends is highly allergic to cats, however, Gizmo can sit on his lap and he has absolutely no reaction at all! We just always said that she was special, but I suppose it is probably because she is a Persian.

Oh and ja, they don't really clean themselves - in fact Gizmo has her own facecloth and pesters me every morning until I wash her face! :ilikeit:

Hi All

I have no option but to rate this thread. I gave it 5 stars but subtracted 1 star for the use of foul language. :holy:

Thank you for the info and once we are settled in Sydney I will refer back to all the responses, to make a decision.

My wife wants three cats, but I will say two? I also do not know if a combination of breeds could do the trick?

Some comments on that?

Hi All

I have no option but to rate this thread. I gave it 5 stars but subtracted 1 star for the use of foul language. :)

Thank you for the info and once we are settled in Sydney I will refer back to all the responses, to make a decision.

My wife wants three cats, but I will say two? I also do not know if a combination of breeds could do the trick?

Some comments on that?

He he - two cats - you are joking right? Cats have a way of multiplying in your life and then taking over. If you buy a kitten from a breeder, you find yourself appreciating the special qualities of that breed and then start wondering if all the kittens are so fantastic - then you wonder about getting another kitten and the next thing you know there is another cat. Same thing perhaps even worse from a rescue shelter because you know the troubles they have gone through, and your cat that you got from a rescue shelter is just the most amazing animal ever and one more cat wont make that much difference ......

Cats are cats under the fur - breed doesnt matter. Combination of breeds doesnt matter. When the time is right you will know what cat/s are right for you (they choose you).

A DARK AND STORMY NIGHT

post-3080-1196886145.jpg

Just the two of them

It was a cold, dark, stormy night. The storm had come quickly each time the thunder boomed he watched her jump.

She looked across the room and admired his strong appearance...and wished that he would take her in his arms, comfort her and protect her from the storm.

Suddenly, with a pop, the power went out...

She screamed...

He raced to the sofa where she was cowering.

He didn't hesitate to pull her into his arms.

He knew this was a forbidden union and

expected her to pull back.

He was surprised when she didn't resist but instead clung to him. The storm raged on...

They knew it was wrong...

Their families would never understand. So consumed were they in their fear that they heard no opening of doors...just the faint click of a camera......

post-3080-1196885933.jpg

Have you smiled today?