• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Navigator

• Bob

• Rodz

• Duane W

Top Posters In This Topic

strangely enough I really battle, cos the speed limit changes at every corner... here 50 then 60 then 40, then 70 or 90 or 80... these guys don't seem to have a clue regarding consistency... And of course in RSA I drove every where - here I drive so seldom, that I find it difficult to work it out...

Doing 100 is ok, but I eventually forked out $700 and fitted cruise to my car to make it easier. And I bought a german car that buzzes at me every time I exceed the limit.

And I still got busted - go figure...

Bob

You guys just did the Walkabout! What's the speed limit on the "outback" roads and is it easy to stick to it? I have seen some footage and the road just seem to carry on forever!

Ta

Yeah . . the roads do go on forever in Australia. You see a range of hills in the far distance, take three hours to drive past them, then another range of hills in the distance, another three or four hours, then another range of hills on the horizon . . . day after day after day, still heading in one direction.

Australia is one helluva big place!

The roads are 110 km/hr thoughout Australia other than the Territory where it's 130 km/hr outside of town.

The Territory never had any speed limit when I first went there, you could drive 250 km/hr if you wanted out of town . . . as long as it was "safe to do so".

I drove at around 85 to 90 km/hr on the open road, pulling a two tonne caravan with my Patrol, so all up, my "rig" was pulling about 4.5 tonnes across Australia.

Some 'cowboys' would shoot past at 130 km/hr pulling a big rig, but they're just an accident waiting to happen because if a cow or roo gets in the way, you just can't stop at that speed . . . . and they make a mess of the front end. No more trip!

Sensible people drive within their capability . . . visibility, braking distance, wet or dry road, etc. all factor into how fast you should be driving - not how fast you can drive.

The road rage as we know it is non existent here (Brisbane) at least I have not been on the recieving end of any.

As overtaker says you have to pay attention to the speed signs as the limit can change 3 times in a 500m stretch

Hi,

We've just returned from our LSD to Perth and Adelaide. I have to admit at first I found it extrelmely frustrating to drive so slowly, but after a few days I got used to it.

They are very strict, and according to some people I spoke to, if the speed limit is 80 km/h , you'll get a fine from 83 km/h onwards - no 10% grace like here. Next to every school the limit is 40km/h, except if children are present - then it drops to 25km/h.

We saw something very funny in Perth. One guy was pulling away with screeching tyres in a 50 zone, but as soon as he reached the speed limit he just stayed at 50 km/h! Our host remarked that the guys were only "wintie" up to 50 km/h!

Something else that I found interesting was the radio ads about the danger of speeding, especially the difference in damage when hitting someone doing 60 vs 65 km/h. In the one ad they dramatize two scenarios: one of doing 65 and hitting a pedestrian where the driver is crying and says something like: " I'm so sorry, I didn't see him, will he be all right" but the pedestrian then dies. :thumbdown:

The second scenario he hits someone doing 60 and says:" Sorry mate, I didn't see you. Are you all right?" The pedestrian then answers "No worries, mate, I'll be fine - just a few bruises" ;)

I found that some traffic rules also were slightly different to what we are used to here, which could be potentially dangerous. Some differences for instance: In Aus a solid green arrow means the same as a flickering green arrow here in South Africa (this could be dangerous when Ozzies drive in South Africa, as here a solid green arrow means you still have to wait for oncoming traffic), and it seems that all traffic circles are working on a basis of yield to the right, and not first come first served.

Also, say you're in the rightmost lane of two lanes turning right ,and there's a bus in the lane on your left, you have to stay put until the bus turned before you start driving. It is also graphically explained on the back of the bus.

All in all I found it much more realxing driving within the speed limits, especially if you know everyone is adhering to the rules. For instance it helps with timing when entering a road if you know what speed the oncoming traffic is doing. :D

You open yourself to a lot of road rage if you adhere to the limits here in SA - especially in the fast lane. :)

Cheers.

FAB

and it seems that all traffic circles are working on a basis of yield to the right, and not first come first served.

FAB

Uh I don't know where you did your licence mate, but here in RSA it's also yeild to the right in a traffic circle, although most people don't know this???? I therefore would welcome a retest every 5 years as I'm sick of the lawless driving in RSA, I can't wait to get to a country where everyone keeps to the law.

& on the topic of not stopping at a stop street, what is with that?? (I seem to see more of it in Parklands than else where)

Aramat

I found that some traffic rules also were slightly different to what we are used to here, which could be potentially dangerous. Some differences for instance: In Aus a solid green arrow means the same as a flickering green arrow here in South Africa (this could be dangerous when Ozzies drive in South Africa, as here a solid green arrow means you still have to wait for oncoming traffic), and it seems that all traffic circles are working on a basis of yield to the right, and not first come first served.

And that funny right turn in the centre of Brisbane (where the trams are). You have to stay left and wait for the light to turn green for the intersecting road befor you can drive. Works quite well actually. And all the rental cars are automatic so you end up confusing the brake for the clutch a couple of times. Boy, that is so dangerous. Especially if you do it on the highway like we did. Just picked up the car in Perth and were heading out on the highway and hubby wanted to "change gears".

Mini roundabouts in SA actually do work on a first come first go basis. This has been made clear in the newspapers several times. I know it does not make sense because why then make a roundabout. Just make a 4 way intersection with yield signs, because that is how it is functioning at the moment. I was also under the impression that that upside down triangle means yield to the right. Must be mistaken but I am sure..... I think the little circle is now just to force people to go slower but the speedhumps pretty much do the trick. And that brings me to speedhumps. In stead of enforcing the law they put speedhumps up everywhere. My husband has to go over 12 on the way to work (about 10kms). Mini roundabouts are a synopsis of South Africa. Everybody does his own thing. Nowadays that broken line behind which you are supposed to stop and wait doesn't mean anything anymore either. You can stop anywhere in the roundabout it seems. And then there are the ones who go first even though they are one your left and weren't there befor you either.

Edited by Antoinette

Cheers.

FAB

When the arrow is red you are not allowed to turn right. I was under the impression that if the arrow was red and the light green and its safe to so then one could turn. It happened on 2 occassions before i noticed that it was wrong. I asked the guys at work and they explained it. You have to wait for the arrow to turn green. It works like a dream as you will always have an opportunity to turn right even if the intersection is real busy.

As far as the circles are concerned its first come first served.

You must Give Way to vehicles already in the roundabout. You should also take particular care of vehicles approaching or about to enter from your right because they may enter the roundabout before you.

This is an extract from the latest Drivers Handbook that I have downloaded for South Australia. To me the quoted part above means give way to traffic from the right - definitely not a first come first serve basis, unless my english is letting me down.

:whome:

Edited by RenierPret

Just a comment that we have recently been advised of.

If you are towing a trailer (or suchlike) you are not entitled to drive at the full speed limit in Oz.

We had an incident in Zim a few years ago, when we were stopped for speeding. We were about 30 minutes from the Beit Bridge border when we were pulled over and "fined". We were apparently only supposed to be doing 100km/h, but we were doing 120km/h (the current speed limit at the time).

Interesting facts:

The police car was approaching us (both cars moving toward each other) when they "caught" us on radar.

When we insisted on a receipt, we got one with Zimbabwe-Rhodesia, emblazoned across it. Do you think that fine ever made it to official coffers? Not likely!

When we asked where this rule was displayed, we were told "there is a sign in Harare". (5 hours back)

Anyway - watch out when towing in Oz guys - just in case!

Official speed limit on arterial highways is 110 km/hr

Other major roads is only 100 km/hr

If pulling a trailer or caravan, 100 km/hr (even if on an arterial highway)

In towns, 50 km/hr unless signposted at 60 km/hr (which was the old town speed limit everywhere)

You also get 80 km/hr on the outskirts of towns.

Schools and pedestrian crossings are 25 km /hr

Tip

The Police will give you a "grace" of up to 10% over the speed limit, if you are apologetic and nice to them.

Don't try to bribe Australian police if you don't want to find yourselves in a goal cell overnight faster than you can blink!

Traffic lights in Australia operate by the "S.C.A.T." system which means they are automated and synchronised to keep traffic flowing.

When the lights start to change from green to orange, you have 4 seconds before they turn red.

If you go thro a red light, you are fined . . . . . . so . . . . if you can't make if over the solid line alongside the first set of traffic lights in four seconds, it will trip a camera and you are "pinged".

Stop . . . . . if you can't go thro in four seconds to avoid a $200 fine.

Even in SA, I can't believe that the mini roundabouts change the general rules of the road, which is "yield to the right"

Also can't believe everything you read in the papers - this is merely the opinion, or interpretation, of a journalist

Yielding to the right means that you slow down and if there is a car coming from the right, you yield to it.

In the situation of "first come first served", the first car to the roundabout does not need to yield to the right, because there is no car from the right when he comes to the roundabout - the 2nd car gets there after him.

When 2 cars reach a roundabout at the same time, it's "yield to the right" - can't be anything else

Anybody have a learners licence manual?????

The practical law in SA, however, is "who can pull away the fastest" or "can the bloke on the left force the bloke on the right to give way" - see it every day on the highway, with the taxis

Jan

Edited by JanCpt

Anybody have a learners licence manual?????

Depends on which Australian state you're planning to read up the rules for.

In NSW, the Australian Road Rules that apply are here:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations...rrlid=roadrules

In NSW there is no such thing as the "hook turn" which is quite common in Victoria.

In NSW, some local council areas have adopted a 40km/h all-day limit.

Cheers

Peter

That's just it! If the guy is allready in the roundabout he was obviously there first. No brainsurgery here - no insult intended of course :ilikeit:. I am talking about the traffic thats coming from the right (and which haven't reached the broken line yet). Get the picture? I always thought "yield to the right" means that the person coming from the right may continue going without stopping at the broken line while you have to wait for him but at the mini roundabouts you don't have to. If he isn't at the broken line yet i.e. he hasn't entered the roundabout yet you can go and he has to slow down for you. It doesn't sound quite right. I've thought about the reason for this rule and the only explanation I can think of is as follows. The circles are tiny and if there is a constant flow of traffic from the right you will have to wait for a gap for ages. This way the traffic from the right at least have to give way to you. Which makes it function a little smoother. This must sound so boring!

RenierPret. I am still in RSA so SA is my abbreviation for South Africa. Sorry!

Edited by Antoinette

My 2 cents worth - generally I believe that the Ozzies are just more relaxed and therefore more willing to accept that there are rules and regulations that need to be adhered to. If you don't you get fined or points docked. They also have a police force that is doing their work. Some Metro cops in South Africa do their work but not all as per the 2 cops found sleeping in their car outside St Mary's school in JHB yesterday!

Maybe that was 10 cents!

Craig

Hi Antoinette

I think we're talking in circles

In a situation where you enter a roundabout and the car on the right has not reached the broken line yet, there is no need to yield, just as you can enter a roundabout when there is already a car on that roundabout, as long as you do not disrupt the flow of traffic in doing so.

I'm afraid I got my licence almost 25 yrs ago, so I'm probably not that up to date with the moden ideas in SA traffic laws.

What do the journalists say you should do when 2 cars reach the roundabout together?

To my knowledge, a traffic circle will always flow from right to left, which means that the bloke on the right does not have to look left, because there is no traffic coming from the left - he merely has to "yield to the right" - that's why they have a yield sign there (in my day, a yield sign meant that you should slow down and look if it is safe to proceed, not keep on driving at the same pace and see if you can get in the roundabout before the other bloke)

From your example, if the bloke on the right still has to slow down for his yield sign and you can safely enter the roundabout, you do not need to stop. Or, even if he got there before you and the roundabout is big enough to allow you to enter, without disrupring his flow, you can still do so. i.e. is it safe to proceed?

Once you have 2 cars in the roundabout, there are different rules i.e. maintain your following distance

If you work on the principle of 1st come 1st served, you will end up with 2 people thinking they were there 1st, which will lead 2 cars trying to get into the same spot on the roundabout, which will lead to Road Rage, which will lead to blood, which will lead to just another day on a modern day SAn road

Now that I mention it, maybe you're right - everybody else seems to work on the me first basis (in SA that is) and maybe that's why we have so much road rage here - I'll have to go and buy that learners manual

cheers

Jan

Edited by JanCpt

Hi JanCPT

I think we are both right. I always thought you did not have to worry about the traffic on the left, its their problem to get into the roundabout. So here you are approaching the roundabout, looking right - no car coming - keep going and enter the roundabout. Now here is where the problem arises. Somebody was actually on the left of you, waiting for you to stop because he was there first and had the right to proceed. BUT you did not stop and as you wizz past this driver gives you the look. Now who is right. The way I understand the new rule it is the guy to the left of you (in the case of the mini roundabout). I must say it took me a while to accept this new way. I also thought the first come, first serve thing was wrong and stubbornly continued doing it the "right" way. I thought it was the aggresive Transvaal drivers who got it wrong (in the days when it was still Transvaal).

And I am actually peeved off by the fact that there is so much confusion regarding this. I have never seen anything official from the dept of roads and safety or whoever is responsible for making the rules so as far as I am concerned the first come first serve thing is not official. It happened because people do not understand the yield thing.

Would be nice if somebody on the forum can clear this up. We have hijacked this thread a bit.

OK, I wish we can put this roundabout to rest as my head is doing a roundabout at the moment. I didn't know there were so many variations on the South African road rules, but looking at this thread and the way South Africans drive in general, it is obvious that most of us didn't study for our drivers test out of the same book... <_<

Have a look at this link...

Here's also a quick extract from that page...

Approaching a roundabout:
  • On approaching a roundabout take notice and act on all the information available to you, including traffic signs, traffic lights and lane markings which direct you into the correct lane.
  • If you take your time and make sure you are in the correct lane a good distance from the roundabout you can't go far wrong.
  • Slow down as you approach the intersection - You're typically not required to stop.
  • A roundabout is designed to be driven at low speed. Entering and traveling through a roundabout at higher speed is difficult and could be unsafe.
  • Don't worry if you have to stop when you reach the roundabout. When it's clear, ease up off the clutch smoothly, don't rush, keep using the mirrors, and above all, stay calm.
  • As you enter the roundabout, traffic coming from your right has right of way. This means that traffic streaming into the roundabout from the entrance to your right will keep coming as long as no one is coming from their right.
  • These cars may not even slow down as they enter the roundabout, because they have the right of way. You must stop and wait until there is a break in traffic. Watch out for other traffic in the roundabout.
  • Once you are on the roundabout maintain a reasonable speed. Failing to do this, especially when you are in the right-hand lane, may result in other drivers passing on the nearside.
  • Watch out for vehicles already on the roundabout; be aware they may not be signaling correctly or signaling at all.
  • Always keep an eye on the vehicle in front as you're about to emerge. Don't assume the driver won't have to stop while you're still looking right. Many rear end collisions happen this way. Make sure the vehicle has actually moved away.
  • Watch for pedestrians and bicycles.
  • Keep in mind that buses or large trucks need extra room to make turns and might take up more than one lane in a traffic circle.
  • Obey all traffic signs and road markings.
  • Signal your intent to other drivers when entering, going around and exiting the circle.
  • If you miss your turn, just go around again. Avoid swerving at the last minute.

Edited by RenierPret

Hi Renier

Another extract from the same site - "By applying some of this information and sharing this with colleagues and friends we might contribute towards reducing some of the road rage on our roads!"

You have obviously taken it to heart & I appreciate it. Now if I only knew some of these people who keep forcing their way in from the left, I could do the same. (unfortunately these situations don't lend themselves to making friends, rather the opposite)

To keep the topic to the topic of this thread - any ideas on the speeding?

If I could take example from Aus drivers, addressing the fact that I found it difficult to keep to the 100km/h limit, I should show my disstisfaction at the fact when he passes me - In SA, I might just be putting my life on the line.

Once I got used to it, I found the Aus traffic to be quite relaxing and a completely different experience from driving in SA

Cheers

Jan

Edited by JanCpt

Guest Bronwyn

Regarding the 'traffic circles in South Africa' debate, I asked the Chairperson of the South African Institute for Driving Instructors for her take on it, and she e-mailed me this:-

Hi Bron!

Sure! I am attaching the relevant pages from the South African Road Traffic Legislation Manual - the highest authority on traffic laws in the country.

1. We have large traffic circles where the law requires us to yield to the right.

2. We also have mini-circles where the law states that the first person to reach the broken white line (yield line) goes first.

I actually took this matter up with Pepsi Wepener at the National Department of Transport. I will send you the relevant correspondence too.

Love,

Mom.

:ilikeit: Now, if anyone wants to see the relevant correspondence (there are copies out of manuals, etc) you are welcome to PM me and I will forward it, as I have no idea how to attach things on the forum.

Cheers! Bronwyn :ilikeit:

Now I understand the chaos on our roads

Someone better share the info with the Arrive Alive lot

I wonder if there is a manual that says the speed limit on the highway is 150km/h - wouldn't be surprised

Just so that I get it right in Oz, I'm going to stick to "yielding to the right" and 120km/h

Cheers

The Aussies dont obey the law because they are more relaxed they do so because its the right way and you get punished if you dont.

Just like we used to be back in the dark ages before the 90's when cops did their jobs better.

I fail to see the humour in this, and I bet you have the nerve to complain about the lawless society we're living in here in South Africa.