Karl: Hopefully on our way soon

Karl and Nanette

Ge'day everyone!

Karl here, we are applying via an agency in Ausie land and it has been a long and tiresome process getting the kids to medical and..and..and. We have a boy of 4 and a little princess of 2 years.

I am concerned about my boy seeing that he is going to take some strain with adjusting and all of that.

Very nervous about this move and still not sure if we are doing the right thing, suppose only time will tell.

Any tips and support will be welcomed and I will most definitely keep you posted.

(Afrikaners is plesierig)

Karl

Hi Karl

As n Ma van drie kinders, met baie vriende hier met kinders, pas die kinders onder 12 jaar BAIE vinniger aan enige ander groep. Amper 100% van die in my vriendekring en uitgebreide kennisse is die kinders DOODGELUKKIG binne n maand!

Jou kinders gaan baie tuiser voel as julle vir n lang, lang tyd.

groete en beste wense

Guest Seoul Sister

Hey there plesierige Karl,

I agree with QLD girl. Your kids are going to be speaking with Aussie accents and have play date schedules fuller than your business calendar in no time. You will be the one chasing down South African products and wearing your bokke shirt while washing the car, when they have looooong forgotten all about it. B) I have two boys and they were 2 and 4 when we arrived in Korea. My eldest spoke very little English as he had spent the previous academic year in a Dutch school... He joined the International school and after two months you would have thought he was from New York. No worries. Your kids will be fine. Remember our kids are like little sponges, they sense all that goes on around them. The best thing you can do for them and yourself is to try relax and just go with it, the happier and more relaxed you can be, the more they will follow suit.

Prince and princess are both gonna be fine ! :ilikeit: Good luck, many of us have been in your shoes and we know how tough it is. You are doing the right thing.

Kind Regards

Seoul Sister

:)

Hey Karl,

My kids are older than yours (12 and 10), but they have settled in really well - much faster than what I was expecting. They'll be fine - it's you and your wife that you need to watch out for:)

Good luck and welcome to our favourite spot on the internet!

Cheers

Ajay

Hey Karl,

I have 3 kids, 9,11 & 13, and we have been in Australia for six months now. I think they have already forgotten they ever lived in SA. They hardly ever refer to it anymore. It's only me spending hours on the net, searching for all the nice Afrikaner "hangouts" :)

I thought my kids would have trouble, especially the youngest who has ADHD, and is generaly a bit difficult to handle. He was the only one that was a bit negative about the move, but he is fine now, and might I say even better than in SA. Some of the problems we used to have, has definitely improved a lot. :ilikeit:

Like the others have said, it will take you longer to adapt, so stop worrying about the kids so much, and start focusing on yourself. Make sure that you and your wife are positive about the move, and agree (mostly!) on things, it will make the whole thing so much easier. And stock up on Leon Schuster movies!

Greetings

Dreamy

We are also not sure how our 4 year old son would fit in. He speaks Afrikaans and he is lately very very happy to be with his grandparents. He sleeps over once a week. We currently stay with his other grandparents, so he is use to seeing all his grandparents on a daily basis. This really worries us, because he is not a very easy going boy. He takes a while before he adapts to new things. I intend to stay at home with him for the first year. From what I read it also seems that he will have to go to school a year earlier than I planned. In SA I would have send him to school after he turned 7. His birthday is in June. So he is actually only turning 4 in 3 weeks time.

Karl

We came over Jan last year with our 2 daughters. Eldest was 7 and youngest was 2 and half at the time. Eldest was in Afrikaans school in SA and youngest could really not understand a word of english.

Now they only speak english at home, and the eldest is doing better than some of the Aussies in school. :holy: Youngest starts kindy next year.

And both speak with the Aussie accent :holy:

They were my biggest worry and ended up being the least of my worries! :holy:

good luck

Lindy-Lee

:santa:

No Worries!

Thanks for the replies, must say I am impressed with all the support. Dankie almal!!

I'm feeling much better about Nikki and Nina, thanks guys.

I'm going to be bombarding this site with questions due to the fact that I am clueless with

regards to the move and all of that, so watch this space!

Main thing now is to get in, shouldn't be to long now.

Afrikaners bly plesierig!!

Cheers!

We are also not sure how our 4 year old son would fit in. He speaks Afrikaans and he is lately very very happy to be with his grandparents. He sleeps over once a week. We currently stay with his other grandparents, so he is use to seeing all his grandparents on a daily basis. This really worries us, because he is not a very easy going boy. He takes a while before he adapts to new things. I intend to stay at home with him for the first year. From what I read it also seems that he will have to go to school a year earlier than I planned. In SA I would have send him to school after he turned 7. His birthday is in June. So he is actually only turning 4 in 3 weeks time.

Hi Mickey, :holy:

Your son might even start school earlier than you think, if you include kindy. I'm not sure what age they start kindy, maybe someone else can tell you.

I also intended to stay at home for at least the first year, to help my three adapt, but I was soon feeling totaly useless :holy: , as they have settled in so well. I went looking for a part time job, and started volunteering, just to get some stimulation myself! As everyone else who has done it will tell you, it is amazing how easy kids adapt. We always expect the worst, but it seldom comes to that, and mostly not even close.

Don't fret too much about it. It is clear that you really love your son, and in the end, that is all that matters. They know that we love them, and it gives them all the security they need to be able to go out and conquer the world.

Greetings,

Dreamy

PS: Fire away with those questions Karl, ons kannie wag om te antwoord nie!