muller: New Kid on the Block

muller

Hi to all of you !!!

I have just completed my interviews with an engineering company and it seems they want me to move to Perth - within the next 3 - 4 months

We are currently living in Kloof, Durban and have a daughter of 4 and a boy of 1 years. Will be comming over on a 457 visa.

Ten million questions come to mind - firstly I wll be looking for accommodation - house to rent but maybe someone can advise which areas are close to schools etc... The company office is in Perth CBD so which areas have easy access to town. I have had a look at property websites but you do not get the complete picture.

Thats for starters - the rest of the questions will be comming soon - watch this space !!

Will love to hear your comments and suggestions.

Regards

Muller

Hi Muller,

I also work for an engineering company right in the centre of the CBD. I have been in Perth for 3 months and my husband 4 months. What field of engineering are you in? I am a metallurgist.

We live up north about 8 km from the town centre. The train ride takes about 8 mins and then I walk about 600m and I am at the office. We like the north because the beaches are beautiful and the shopping centres and people are generally nice.

Good luck with the move and arrangements!!

Hi Michelle

Thanx for your response, you do not mention the neighbourhood you currently live in - seems nice if you can take the train to work and skip the traffic - is traffic quite bad in the mornings into town.

I am a hydrogeologist. Looking forward to commming over - bit tired of all the shenanigans on this side.

Cheers

Muller

Guest Seoul Sister

Hi Muller,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your planned move to Perth !! Wow, exciting stuff ! I am sure you will get all the answers you need right here.

See you around on the forum.

Regards from Seoul

Seoul Sister

:ilikeit:

Muller I replied where I live in a personal message. Let me know if you did not get it. I do not see it in my sent items

Hi Muller

Good luck for the next few months - hold onto your hat, cos things get a bit hectic! You'll just love the public transport, whether you're travelling in to the city by bus, train or ferry. The great thing is that everything WORKS. Once you're in the city you can use the CAT's (free buses) to get around, or, like Michelle, you can walk without having to worry about your briefcase, celphone etc. The transperth website is transperth just to give you a glimpse of what you'll have access to!

I would suggest you take a short term lease when you first arrive and then take a good look around before you choose an area to settle in, particularly regarding schools. Perth is pretty small, and you're never v far from the city centre.

C'lou

Hi Muller

This is a good move- you will not be sory in the long run.

I lived in Kloof for 8 years and my kids all went through Kloof Pre-Primary. hey-how I remember some really good times at the Station Tavern. Is that still there?

Hi Queensland Girl

Nice to hear from someone from this nick of the woods - the sation tavern (Stokers) is still very much there and the steam train runs every beginning of the month down to Inchanga. Quite a lot of fun for the kids.

Thanx for the responses - it seems like an Mount Everest to climb to get everything required completed. Quite nerve recking to leave everything you know behind you and start all over where you know nothing - it is outright scary !!!

But if you guys could do it - then we can also get through all the trials and tribulations.

Cheers

Muller

Hi Muller,

Scheez are there any engineers left in SA seems like they are all either in Perth or planning to go there? One of my best friends (an engineer) has just moved to Perth (4 months ago) and he is very happy. They've rented in Freemantle (Freo) and he reckons it is very cool place. Anyway I'm sure many of the Perth forum locals will help you out!

Congrats with the decision and welcome to the forum!

Chatterbug