Need advice - Need contacts - Please

Hennie

I am a Senior Systems Engineer with a high technology company specializing in the development and integration of complex sensor systems. I have a Master's degree in Electronic Engineering and 11 years experience.

My wife and I took the decision a couple of months ago to make the move to Australia for family and career reasons. I have been applying for positions (and there are a lot of positions available for Systems Engineers on Seek, MyCareer, etc), but without any success. Reasons vary, but the main one being that (and although my skills and experience match the skills described in the job descriptions nearly perfectly) if you cannot get a security clearance, you do not even get past the HR people of the companies/agencies (Agents such as Kinetic Defence do not even respond to your applications). The irony of the situation is that some of these positions stay on the internet for a couple of months - clearly they are having a problem filling these positions.

I am sure that if I can get through to the correct technical people in the companies that I can get a sponsorship for a visa. Is this correct? I have only just started with the application for a visa, but I still want to explore the sponsorship route further before I give up.

Can anyone please give me some pointers on how to proceed, or the names of people to contact? I will send my resume to anyone that is willing to take a look at it for me.

Kind regards

Hennie

I am a Senior Systems Engineer with a high technology company specializing in the development and integration of complex sensor systems. I have a Master's degree in Electronic Engineering and 11 years experience.

Claire Meiring does recruitment for computing & hich tech engineers in Sydney at Interlogic recruitment. Contact her at claire@interlogic.com.au

• 2 months later...

Hi Hennie,

One thing that was made clear to me was, If your mindset is to start at the bottom, you will prove yourself and climb to the top very quickly. I would say that you should break down your experience and knowledge into small packets, and apply for jobs that compliment them. Your aim is to get there, you have a wealth off qualifications and experience to tap into. Once you have secured your sponsorship and are there, it is much easier to move and progress.

This was told to me by my employer and an agent that I met with. I am starting as a senior AV technician, but I made it clear that they must place me where they feel necessary, and I will prove myself.

Go Get em!!