Rain, Rugby, Biltong and naartjies

chester

The heavens have open and its raining cats and dogs and we thankful for that. But it does bring out all the idiot drivers out there speeding on slippery roads. Slow down in the wet. there were 3 accidents yesterday just in our area all small thank goodness, keeping the smash repair businesses in work Good thing we stayed at home this weekend, a 3 car pile up on the Princess Highway at Monney Monney Bridge, causing a 3hr delay.

But thats not what this is all about: Rain, Rugby league, soup and pancakes, cosy in front of the TV with the heater on. Makes me think of that saying Rugby Braais Sunshine & Chevrolets , not sure of the order. You got to have biltong, naartjies and for the men a little amber stuff sometimes. Now thats tradition is't it We all a nation of rugby fans mostly Union but in OZ they love League and thats what you see on TV.

We got Foxtel for sport so we don't miss a game, the TV is taken over as soon as Dear Husband who is a ST George supporter, walks in the door taking control of the remote. Remotes are Man"s best friend thats after the dog of course which never gets walked anymore. If it's not Rugby, it wrestling, cowboy movies or car and bike rebuilds. The seasons nearly over and then it Cricket and more cricket. We let them 'couse it their time to unwind after a hard day at work. Which is very true DH works 12hrs a day and I happily let him relax. But sometimes it gives you the shits if there is something you dying to watch, so I play on the computer instead or knit another scarve and some more bed socks. Talking about relaxing thats something he does well, normally 15 mins after dinner in that LasyBoy snoring his head off but don't change that channel then he wakes up insisting he was only listening with his eyes closed. Just love him to bits. :lol:

Something I have noticed lately is there are a few folks here making their own biltong, something we all need to learn because it's very expensive to buy for one, thats if you can find it. Sliced Beef Jerky in those little packets is just not the same. DH made me a lovely wooden meat drying cupboard with 3 sides having fly screen in which I hang our meat up. But it doesn't need to be fancy to taste good. Most butchers will cut up whole rump ($7.99 a kilo) for you into steaks all you need to do is cut it into strips, salt & spice, leave for 1 or 2 days to cure and hang up, put the fan on it 24/7 and in 3 days you got real biltong. Yummmy.

As you can tell we have a very exciting weekend at home. Only wish my water tanks were connected at the farm, with all this rain they would have been full. But we still have to pour the slab for them to stand on and connect to the guttering. Just not enough time to do everything. Hope you all had a lovely weekend.

Edited by chester

Hi Chester,

Thanks for your post, nice to see that the remote belongs to your hubby as well. I never touches the thing, it's always in DH's hand. :lol:

We are getting foxtel next Monday, can you believe, DS is going to get it for us. How sweet of him. Now we can watch something else while recording the sport for hubby. Nice. :P

Must say, I can't wait for Summer....long for the sun on my skin. This Winter was long and cold, don't you think?

Yes, the hoons are behaving like loonatics! Every Sunday morning you can see the damage they caused on the roads.....tyre marks and broken glass on the roadside. At night you can hear them making those donuts on the asphalt. Bad. And in the rain...they've got no nerves and I think it's not them paying for the maintenance of their vehicles but the parents. :angry:

I saw in a little German butchery this weekend all sorts of dried meat and sausages. Meat sticks and jerky and a VERY hot sausage with chillies. They've got a funny name for which I forgot now...will tell you when I remember. We've bought cheese kranzies, a sausage with cheese, very much like the cheese grillers we know. Was not as good though, but still not bad. B)

Have a lovely week. :)

Hi Chester

Yep I agree, the RAIN is FANTASTIC!!! Heard it is raining even further in land past Toowoomba so it's in the catchement area as well.

Rainy days are special cuddle days.

We also make Biltong from Rump, got a new butcher in Cannon Hill shopping centre, he sells Rumps at $4.49 a kilo, what a bargain!! We bought 2 and cut it up and put it in hubby's biltong box he made and voila stacks of Billie for the family. Have to add that since my husband stopped smoking he's eating biltong like crazy.

The slippery roads are a bit of a risk at the moment because we haven't had rain for so long. Drive carefully!!

Lovies

Nilo

Hi Chester!

I enjoyed your post!

Our big "fight" is not over the Telly anymore, but who gets to sit in front of the computer first!! :angry: Vrek! :lol:

Groete van huis tot huis

Tania

Hi All,

I am just a bit concerned about the variation in meat prices over there. Chester are paying $7.99 and Nilo only $4.49/kg for rump. The traditional and nicest meat to use for biltong is silverside. Don't use meat from the front quarters, the biltong will be crumbly (don't know if that's the right word).

Me and Mariana are both mad about our biltong and we are paying here R90/kg at the moment. Seems to me that I have to bring all my biltong spices with. Is coriander readily available in Oz? You have to use it.

Lekker eet!!

JJ

Hi JJ

Dit is maklik om so verskillende pryse te kry. Mens moet die specials dop hou. Ek het nou eers onlangs die slagter raakgeloop.

Ons het ook uit silverside Billie gemaak maar die rump se kleur is vir my baie beter na dit gedroog het. Die silverside het ons vir $3.60 'n kilo gekry.

Koljander koljander so deur die bos my ma en pa....maak lekker biltong in Aussie!!!!

Yep baie van die spesirye te kry, No worries Matie!!

Lovies

Nilo

Hi JJ

I prefer to pay a little extra for a better quality, less fat on, fat is good but I don't want to cut off most of it ... and then still need to get rid off it in the garbage, gril my dood. As Nilo said prices can differ a lot, just don't buy it in ready cut steaks then they will charge you $17.99 +. I normally buy whole rump and cut it into squares for curries & stroganoff and a good feed of steak. Diced beef/lamb is normally $10.99

We would love to have one of those blitong slices, just stick it in and it comes out in thin slices. Wonder if the garden shredder would work .......... maybe not

Edited by chester