What car?

Mikej

Marius,

the Kia Sportage is popular wagon here in Australia. It's not a serious 4WD though that will take all the punishment that a Land Cruiser or Patrol would be able to handle fully laden with a ton of gear to last 4 people in the bush for 3 weeks over sand dunes and desert, say.

Having said that, it will let you get off the beaten track and see a bit of Australia.

For the money, though, if I were a serious bush basher needing a tough set of wheels to see me deep into the outback, I'd check out the government auction sites and see what near new ex-gov't 4WDs (less than 3 years old and under 100 000 kms on the clock and still with current factory warranty) are available.

You might even get to save money.

Henry,

I have always liked VWs ever since the days when I was single and my mates (who I shared houses with back in the 70s) always seemed to have one or two VW Beetle engines on the carpet in the loungeroom, cpmpletely stripped down, of course, oil stains on the rug!

The rug even had a perfect outline of one time my mate accidentally started a lawn mower engine up.

He forgot he'd put petrol in.

The pile in the carpet was almost bald in that spot!

Good days!!!! . . . . . then I got married and she cured me of it all. I had to fix the lawn mower in the shed (sob)

Anyhow . . . . I digress.

The Golf TDi 1.9 is a great piece of work. You might like to consider a Peugeot also. I don't know what spare parts are like, but being European I shouldn't think they would be anywhere near as cheap as an Australian made car.

The fuel economy of European diesels is phenomenal, driven by the tight European emission standards. The only thing that will cost anything will be the servicing because they're so Hi-tech you have to know what you're doing when you muck around with them, unlike the old engines which were much simpler and easier to work on in the back yard.

That's the only drawback I can think of with the Golfs or Peugeots. Good buys otherwise.

You'd probably get as cheap travel with doing a Ford Falcon or Holden Commodore on L.P.G. ("Autogas") maybe.

You'd have to compare 5 litres of diesel @ 1.45c per litre to do 100 kms as opposed to 12 or 13 litres of L.P.G. @ 68 c per litre to do 100 kms.

Just do the sums and see what savings you arrive at either way.

Edited by Bob

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Navigator

• HansaPlease

• Bob

• Nilo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's the only drawback I can think of with the Golfs or Peugeots. Good buys otherwise.

You'd probably get as cheap travel with doing a Ford Falcon or Holden Commodore on L.P.G. ("Autogas") maybe.

You'd have to compare 5 litres of diesel @ 1.45c per litre to do 100 kms as opposed to 12 or 13 litres of L.P.G. @ 68 c per litre to do 100 kms.

Just do the sums and see what savings you arrive at either way.

Thanks Bob

I took your advice and did a bit more research. When you look economy, there is not much to choose between the diesel (5l/100km - 5 x 1.45 = 7.25) and the gas (12l/100km - 12 x 0.68 = 8.16). If you do the math, the diesel work you out cheaper (about a dollar per 100km) than the gas. An added benefit is that you have so much more power with the diesel.

After some more research, I learned about the Ford Focus 2.0 TDCi. Same consumption and power as the Golf. It is also $2000.00 cheaper. Maybe this is a better option.....

Thanks for the advice on Ford.

What is your opinion on the TDCi?

Kind regards

Henry

What I'd be considering is that the diesel engines are only small . . . . to fit a small car. . . . although diesel engines are all tough and built to last.

The 6 cylinder Ford or Holden converted to L.P.G. wouldn't be much dearer to run and would last as long as a small diesel engine anyway. . . . say 500 000 kms before a major overhaul.

You'd have heaps of room in them, too, so it's a matter of whether you feel alright in a small car or a larger car for not much more expense in fuel costs.

Bob - as your wife drives a LPG Falcon - what is the fuel consumption, town vs open road? I'm seriously considering buying a 2002-2004 Falcon BA (the one with the factory fitted LPG engine). It seems like they are bargains, and I'd rather drive a bigger car than all these petite European style cars.

An added benefit is that you have so much more power with the diesel.

Not necessarily... The Ford Falcon LPG 4.0 enginge produces 156kW and 372NM, even with the added weight of the big car, still quite a nice power output. More than enough to propel you forward at the legal limit in any case.

I'd rather have a "lazy" big 6 cylinder engine just purring along, than driving a highly tuned small 4 cylinder diesel engine, with the added turbo and associated turbo failures. I don't think the small diesel will come close to the big six regarding engine reliability.

Edited by RenierPret

I am a VW fan, but after some surfing on Australia's webpages, I decided to do like the Romans do - buy a Ford or Holden. I am not sure if the wife will be okay with a big car, time will tell. At this moment her attention is at other places, doesn't help if I show the cars to her on the road.

In principal, I would settle for a LPG Falcon, rather than a Golf diesel, as I am not going to buy new. If mom is not okay with that, a small one it will be. But it will be a Ford, the Europian cars are too expensive, I won't consider the small Holdens - no Smopels for me thank you. The rest I will check out when we arrive.

I am a 4x4 guy - so I would go for a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel - the one with the 6cyl Merc motor - what a car!!! Fast, good on fuel and I can explore - not as serious as the Landcriusers, but that will enable me to explore quite extensively.

Hi all

This is a really interesting topic! I'm fascinated to see how knowledgeable most of you are about your cars!

The info here has been most helpful for me in considering what wheels to get when we come across!

This is such an imformative topic!

Both my husband and I are huge VW fans. He drives a 1.9 TDi and I drive a little 1.6 polo.

But, we realize that once we arrive in Aus, it just doesn't make economic sense to stick with German cars as they are soooo darn expensive there. This topic is really helpful - especially for me - in introducing alternatives to our German fetish! :blush:

When in Australia, think like an Australian - buy an Australian family car...

When in Australia, think like an Australian - buy an Australian family car...

Very sound advice :blush: .....I plan to take it

JJ, looks like the Nissan Patrol is the 4X4 of choice here. You can also pick one up in very good condition for a very good price. I love the little Holden Barina's they'r very sweet and many around.

We have a little Jeep Cherokee and hubby tried very hard to get stuck in the sand when we went 4X4'ing to no avail. So quite impressed with her.

Nilo, if you're not getting stuck you haven't tried hard enough! :lol:

Hi Nilo (sal jou nie weer sus noem nie, dit confuse net die mense!)

If that is what the Aussies prefer, it must suit the conditions - and the more Nissans, the cheaper they become - hopefully the spares also. I had a Nissan Sani 4x4 here in SA (prior to my current Ford Ranger, diesel - off course) and was mad about it. Unfortunately, I had to get rid of it as it ruined me on fuel, and the spares where unbelieveable expensive.

Also, I don't have any liking in the Eastern cars, you mentioned the Barina. Is that an Eastern badge-engineered Holden?

Hopefully Bob can fill us in in this department.

Seems to me though, that I have to hold my horses as the range of vehicles differs largely from what is available in South Africa.

JJ

As far as I know the Holden Barina is similar to the Opel Corsa.

As far as I know the Holden Barina is similar to the Opel Corsa.

Yep, I believe the older Barina used to be GM made, and similar to the Corsa, but the new Viva are an Oriental (Koren?) re-badge, and are ruuuuubish. Their safety record is apparently very bad.

The same goes for the Holden Captiva and Epica (which replced the Vectra) I believe they're both Korean made - I'd be wary of buying one thinking it's a holden.

Edited by HansaPlease

It's probably just a Holden badged Daewoo, as Chevrolet took over Daewoo, and many Chev's are sold as Holdens.

My eerste kar is n Holden Zafira,2.2 liter, automaties, air, power, cruise control, 7 sitplek, die agterste twee sitplekke vou in die vloer in so as jy hulle nie gebruik nie het jy n groot boot, dis ook nie n storie om die sitplekke in en uit te vou nie, ry baie lekker, my tweede kar is n Toyota landcruiser 4x4 80 series, baie gewilde model hier gewees, sien hulle nog om elke hoek en draai, ook n 8 sitplek, met sunroof, power steering, aircon, cruise control, automaties, net spyt ek het nooit n diesel weergawe gekoop nie, hulle like petol, maar baie lekker vir sleep, en hulle is een van die beste 4x4 wat jy kan kry, tel hulle op vir so tussen 10 en 15 duisend doller, parte is vollop, het so onlangs shocks ingesit , het my gekos 600 doller vir die old man emu shocks by n 4x4 shop, kan julle glo midas was n 100 doller duurder.

post-523-1200113575.jpg

JJ, looks like the Nissan Patrol is the 4X4 of choice here. You can also pick one up in very good condition for a very good price.

The 1st car will probably the moms taxi during the week and my weekend warrior 4x4 - Nissan Patrol. Much more affordable then it is in the RSA. Aftermarket spares and accessories much cheaper then is the RSA. :unsure:

Nilo, if you're not getting stuck you haven't tried hard enough! ;)

Agree 100% :angry:

My every driver (with speed control :( ) will be a Nissan R34 :holy:(Oo\SKYLINE/oO)

body4.JPG

Edited by moegeploeg

How are the Japanese imports (Used and exported from Japan) in Australia? Like the Toyotas and Nissans. Price, reliability, value? We in Botswana have the luxuary of driving a decent imported Land cruiser from Japan for half the price in SA. :(

How are the Japanese imports (Used and exported from Japan) in Australia?

As far as I know they don't allow those to be imported here. But not to worry the second hand car market is very good, just make sure what you buy is what you get as there are sharks out here too, very few mind, you but they'r here none the less.

5 Pages and not a single look at the Honda, not that I saw anyway...

I am also a 4x4 fan we did serious quad bike riding back in SA and i intend on doing plenty more outdoor stuff here...

So im gonna need a 4x4 later on... (for now we need a family car...)

We just arrived and needed a car to replace the rental we had, so I did lots and lots of looking, and decided that a cheap korean car was not going to last long enough to be worth the money, so we started looking at second hand cars maybe 30-50 thousand KM's...

Then I found a Honda dealer...

WOW is all I can say...

We drove a Honda VTIL Civic, and when the drive was over I signed the papers...

its an amazing car...

It has all the saftey features i was looking for, and then a whole bunch more...

It has CLIMATE CONTROL...

This car is amazing to drive, and best of all was the price...

Fuel is 7.2l / 100 km its a 1.8 petrol engine

Check out their website and i think you will be pleasantly surprised...

post-2342-1200183499.jpg

http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/in...Model+Overview/

Cheers

G

Edited by Gandalf

neither this after 5 pages

http://www.vw.com/touareg/gallery/en/us/#/all/6

post-5391-1200194425.jpg

Edited by NorCalAussie

Can someone help the soon to be Aussies with the following as to cost of owning a car:

What is delear delivery and govt. charges and how much are they? Specially when you look at the price of a brand new car, what are the other hidden cost to get the car on the road? Insurance, any other taxes, etc?

Thank you

Haven't bought new so will not be able to help you except to say that you should bargain to get all of the first years costs covered by the dealer. At this time of the year they all want last years model sold so you could bargain for a good price.

On a second hand vehicle you need to get a Safety Certificate (roadworthy) then the Rego (registration) for 6 or 12 months you choose how much you can afford, Third Party insurance is included in the Rego and then also the stamp duty which you pay when you take out the Rego, that obviously depends on how much the vehicle cost. The normal Insurance you have to see to and there are quite a number of companies to get Quotes from so you make up your mind. Please note all of the above is for Qld and that not all the States work the same.

My eerste kar is n Holden Zafira,2.2 liter, automaties, air, power, cruise control, 7 sitplek, die agterste twee sitplekke vou in die vloer in so as jy hulle nie gebruik nie het jy n groot boot, dis ook nie n storie om die sitplekke in en uit te vou nie, ry baie lekker, my tweede kar is n Toyota landcruiser 4x4 80 series, baie gewilde model hier gewees, sien hulle nog om elke hoek en draai, ook n 8 sitplek, met sunroof, power steering, aircon, cruise control, automaties, net spyt ek het nooit n diesel weergawe gekoop nie, hulle like petol, maar baie lekker vir sleep, en hulle is een van die beste 4x4 wat jy kan kry, tel hulle op vir so tussen 10 en 15 duisend doller, parte is vollop, het so onlangs shocks ingesit , het my gekos 600 doller vir die old man emu shocks by n 4x4 shop, kan julle glo midas was n 100 doller duurder.

I would second the Zafira option - I have one and its pretty cool, and light on fuel too. And my 4x4 is an Audi A4 quattro - which is also cool, but you pay 50% more here than the equivalent car in RSA. Both of mine are 2000 models.

And my 4x4 is an Audi A4 quattro

:ilikeit::ilikeit: 4x4 Bwahaha, I'd like to see that all-wheel drive Audi on a 4x4 route/track... :ilikeit::whome: