What car?

Mikej

Can anyone recommend a family car for us. We have 2 children 4yrs and a baby so we will need a big boot or hatch for the pram etc.

The car will probably be our first purchase and I dont want to make a mistake. Should we buy new or is second hand an option?

Many thanks (once again)

Michael

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Navigator

• HansaPlease

• Bob

• Nilo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can anyone recommend a family car for us. We have 2 children 4yrs and a baby so we will need a big boot or hatch for the pram etc.

The car will probably be our first purchase and I dont want to make a mistake. Should we buy new or is second hand an option?

Many thanks (once again)

Michael

Check out www.manheimfowles.com.au they run the goverment auctions in all major centres. i have been following the auctions and they have good vechiles on auctions. I believe it is well worth it for your first car.

Cheers

Camper

Many thanks (once again)

Michael

oh you won't make a mistake with a Merc GL - lots of space for kids and prams and huge boot... nice family car too... and great for trips around the Outback! :ilikeit:<_<

Edited by Springbok

Hi MikeJ - you'll have to specify what market you're looking at. It entirely depends what budget you're talking about - whether you can afford to buy one cash and whether you've got plenty of money like Springbok or you just need a normal family car like the rest of us.

If you've got plenty of cash then an Audi A6, or a BMW X5 would by my choice... but if not, I've got plenty of suggestions... let us know...

Hi MikeJ - you'll have to specify what market you're looking at. It entirely depends what budget you're talking about - whether you can afford to buy one cash and whether you've got plenty of money like Springbok or you just need a normal family car like the rest of us.

erm, my post was tongue-in-cheek of course.... :ilikeit: gotta have goals and dreams! <_<

erm, my post was tongue-in-cheek of course.... <_< gotta have goals and dreams! :D

:ilikeit: Of course! I hope I didn't sound negative - I kinda meant the same as you.

I'd have to trade your Merc for an Audi though... :blink:

Apologies for not specifying, the reason was I dont know what cars cost over there, I hear they are a bit cheaper than in SA.

I am going to pay cash (only because I have no idea about getting finance in Australia on the day we arrive) but I want to spend as little as possible. The type of vehicle I have in mind is an Opel Zaphira or the Toyota Verso or the Renault (cant remember the model but its the 5 door family car) or any similar model.

Springbok and HansaPlease if I had plenty of cash it would be the Audi Q7.

Thanks guys

Michael

I'd have to trade your Merc for an Audi though... :ilikeit:

ha-ha! only for a Q7 will I consider it... see http://www.km77.com/00/audi/q7/g01.asp

seen quite a few of both GL and Q7 here in Sydney, but Range Rover seems to be more popular.

The type of vehicle I have in mind is an Opel Zaphira or the Toyota Verso or the Renault

I would go for the Toyota Avensis, see www.toyota.com.au

Edited by Springbok

Many thanks (once again)

Michael

Whatever you buy, DON'T go for a cheap import, e.g. the Daewoo stable.

Rather concentrate on a car that is built assembled here in Oz and that is compatible with Aus conditions with a good support structure for service and repair.

Consider: Holden, Toyota, Mitsibishi, Ford. Those fabricates are amongs the most used here in Oz. There are others as well, of course.

With cheap imports you tend to pay less for th ecar, but you lose out with servicing, repairs and the cost of spares and parts.

Cheers,

Dax

Edited by Dax

On the topic of family cars. Does the Aus law tolerate children sitting on laps or does each passenger need a "bum place"?

Oh my goodness...never ever will they tolerate it...it is one seat per bum as you say....lol

Guest colton
On the topic of family cars. Does the Aus law tolerate children sitting on laps or does each passenger need a "bum place"?

The rule is: No Seatbelt, No Ride! Forget about "bum place" if you only have 2 seatbelts only 2 can drive in the car. Funny how quickly you get used to the seatbelt rule here, even when we climb in the back you automatically reach for the belt. :ilikeit:

Edited by colton

Also remember no children or anybody else for that matter, allowed on the back of a ute, even if you have a canopy on!

I think a good family car for five is a Ford Falcon Station wagon, and you can even have two extra fold down seats with seat belts fitted in the back for the youngsters, so that when you get grandma and grandpa visiting, you have space for the whole family!

:ilikeit: Of course! I hope I didn't sound negative - I kinda meant the same as you.

I'd have to trade your Merc for an Audi though... :lol:

You are a lot of cheapo's.

Let's go fullhouse for the Porsche! :holy:

You are a lot of cheapo's.

Let's go fullhouse for the Porsche! :ilikeit:

Mmmm, Cayenne, now you're talking sense...

One family station wagon that will get your kids to school faster than any other is the Audi RS6. Vroom vroom. :holy:

Hansa!!!

.....and you can drop them off one at a time in the same time it would have taken you to take them one go in a station wagon :ilikeit:

Apologies for not specifying, the reason was I dont know what cars cost over there, I hear they are a bit cheaper than in SA.

I am going to pay cash (only because I have no idea about getting finance in Australia on the day we arrive) but I want to spend as little as possible. The type of vehicle I have in mind is an Opel Zaphira or the Toyota Verso or the Renault (cant remember the model but its the 5 door family car) or any similar model.

Springbok and HansaPlease if I had plenty of cash it would be the Audi Q7.

Thanks guys

Michael

Hi Michael!

The Renault you're talking about is the Scenic, I think. I haven't seen many of them over here, possibly because the European cars are quite expensive over here - it seems that you pay for the import costs.

Hmm, so you're thinking people movers. The Aussie equivalents to the Verso are

Toyota Avensis http://www.toyota.com.au/avensis/

Toyota Tarago http://www.toyota.com.au/tarago/ (more expensive)

Holden (Opel) don't really do a Zafira equivalent, but the Captiva is quite a decent family car (heavy on Petrol though http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action...ry?vehicleid=30

As Dax said - Avoid the non-Aussie cars, like Kia, Daewoo, etc - they really do cost more in parts and support.

Having said that Hyundai have a really good warrantee and service plan over here, and the Santa Fe is one of the most economical SUV's around. I am considering this for my next set of wheels - http://www.hyundai.com.au/swf/default.aspx?vehicle=santa_fe

Cars are really a lot cheaper here than in SA. If you consider we bought a 3 year old 4 litre Ford Falcon (with all the trimmings) with 70,000km on the clock for the equivalent of R85,000... what would you get in SA for that price?

In terms of an actual family sedan, I don't think you can go further than a Ford Falcon, Holden Commodore or Mitsubishi 380. As Mara says, the station wagons are really functional - AND Cheap!

I would definintely recommend that if you're buying cash - you can get a second hand car for thousands and thousands less than a brand new car. Once you get established, you've been here for a couple of years, have a regular job, mortgage, etc, then I would look at a brand new car.

Just some ideas, I hope we haven't confused you! :holy:

Hansa!!!

.....and you can drop them off one at a time in the same time it would have taken you to take them one go in a station wagon :lol:

Oh no, you misunderstand me - have a look at this beautiful piece of craftsmanship - it IS a station wagon! :P:ilikeit:

post-2031-1187352816.jpg

Hi Guys

I don't care what who says, I WANT A BMW X5!!!!!!

But like they say I want don't get! We went to look at one today, second hand 2004 model leather seats etc etc. $56000!!! Not a bad price but at about $300 per week I think we shall NOT.

But I soooooo like that car!!!

Lovies

Nilo

PS We drive a Holden Commodore and a Corolla both second hand bargains and they go very well. BUT I STILL WANT THAT BM!!!!!

Rather concentrate on a car that is built assembled here in Oz and that is compatible with Aus conditions with a good support structure for service and repair.

Consider: Holden, Toyota, Mitsibishi, Ford. Those fabricates are amongs the most used here in Oz. There are others as well, of course.

Hi Dax

I read that only 20.9% of new cars sold in Australia last year were actually manufactured in Australia!

Source : http://www.autoindustries.com.au/sales.php.../12/origin.html

Edited by JJV

Hey Mikej,

There is a lot of good advice above. As a Saffer one tends to want a car you liked and enjoyed in SA, just remember to do your homework and find out what Aussies like and drive (read having a decent resale value) a good example is the Land Rover Freelander - very popular and sought after in RSA, but has a very bad reputation and has a shocking resale value over here, that's if you can get rid of them.

German and European cars are much more expensive in relative terms to RSA. Holdens, Mazda's, Honda's, Toyota's and Fords (yip Fords - you better believe it) are among the most popular and you can't go wrong. Holden/Ford rivalry is almaost like the BMW/Merc one in SA.

The Aussie "family" 6 cyl sedan (and variations of that) is still a very popular choice and in my opinion you really get good value for money, they are keenly priced I think. For e.g. you can get a really great value car for eg the new Toyota Aurion (Prodigy) 3,5L 200KW 6 speed auto with leather interior and all the bells and whistles brand new for sub 40K (excl on road costs) (about the size of a BMW 5 series). The new Holden Commodore/Omega/Berlina/Calais (all various spec versions of the same car) is in the same class.

Check out for yourself on sites like www.carsales.com.au and www.redbook.com.au and www.carpoint.com.au

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Revhead BUG

Hey Wendy - They are good looking hey? That's if you like the American styling thing.

This is however a good example of what I mentioned above. I just got rid of my Jeep Cherokee 3.7L Limited in Aus. (Very Similar car to the Dodge you mention) When I was in SA looking for a new car to buy (about 2001) I really wanted a Jeep Cherokee ( I just loved their retro look - with the design elements of the old Willy's Jeep incorporated into the front end). At that stage there was a rediculous waiting list of up to 11 months and they were very expensive for me, can't remember exactly but around R 280 - 320 K . Because I didn't want to wait and the price was going to be a bit of a squeeze I settled for a BMW 320i ( the 2,2L 6 cyl) at around R 236K.

After arriving here I couldn't believe how cheap they were - I without questioning proceeded to indulge in my "desires" and bought myself a brand new Jeep Cherokee Limited for 45K (A$) (about R 225K with the exch rate at that time) I really enjoyed the vehicle but it lost more than half its value within the first 3 years. I (only later off course) found out they were not very popular in the Aus market and that I would struggle to sell it at a decent price.

Also when I bought the Jeep I compared it with a BMW 320i as I had in SA. With a price tag of around 69K A$ (at the exch rate then it would have cost me around R345,000) it was way more expensive than the Jeep??

I'm not saying indulge yourself but just be aware that what works back in SA does not automatically translate to here. If you stick for e.g. to reputable Japanese make 4X4's you'd be better off at resale. The problem is that buying a car is such an emotional thing, we rarely only buy it for the objective reasons. Even though I know the above to be true I still like anything Jeep/Land Rover ( the original 4x4's).

I hope Chrysler survives the de-merge (or divorce) from Daimler and still keeps on building fairly decent cars!

Cheers

BUG

Edited by chatterbug

think a good family car for five is a Ford Falcon Station wagon, and you can even have two extra fold down seats with seat belts fitted in the back for the youngsters, so that when you get grandma and grandpa visiting, you have space for the whole family!

How can you swear like that?

Holden Commodore SS or the station wagon derivative. Vastly underrated cars and cheap to buy and not bad resale value in Australia.

As previously mentioned the German and European stuff is pretty expensive over there.

Hey Duane - Ford's are seen as gr8 over here and very popular, and they are Aussie built!

As a Saffer I know it is difficult to get over the bad brand name Ford copped in SA mainly because of them pulling out of Apartheid SA and then trying to pass off inferior cars and dodgy Mazda's as Fords. They'll still take a long time to restore that image in SA but remember over here they are actually real Fords. I still struggle with overcoming this negative brand perception myself too.

BTW with the integration and consolidation in the international vehicle market Ford owns and very successfully manages very well known brands such as Land Rover, Mazda, Volvo and Jaguar to name a few. Also many of their vehicles like the Focus are designed and built in Germany.

Whereas Holden in Aus have decided ( for reasons of getting better margins) in many instances to rebrand Daewoo's as Holdens and to use other Korean built platforms for their local models in stead of the European Opel sourced platforms for e.g. the Captiva, Epica and the Barina (I think similar to the Chev Aveo in SA - but really a Daewoo). So this really upsets the proverbial apple cart and challenges the traditional concept of Brand value/prestige from these manufacturers.

The Ford Falcon/Holden Commodore rivalry is very interesting though. I think these are very NB models for these manufacturers in Aus. The new Aussie built Holden is stunning to say the least, but the new Falcon will be short on its heals and it will surely up the ante to maintain the balance. Toyota has also entered the fray with a strong move and challenge to both with the Aurion with better power, better fuel economy, and better value for money. All three are Aussie designed and built. Oh and then there is the Aussie built Mitshubishi 380 - but I think it has flopped in the rivalry stakes.

So in reality both Ford and Holden "sell" European/German cars but only under different models/brands.

The game has changed!

Motor BUG

Edited by chatterbug

Two things that perhaps need mentioning, when car buying.

1. Unless you buy at the very top end of European Imports, motor vehicles are not an investment in Australia. If you buy new, within three years you will be lucky to get half of what you paid for the vehicle. So, for me, I would rather buy a three year old, low mileage, discounted car, for half the price!

2. If you do wish to drive an import, check the cost of comprehensive insurance, before you buy. They really slug you if it is a full import, as repairs are expensive, and we all know insurance companies do not like paying.

On the Ford Falcon, both station wagon and utes, we have vehicles in our work fleet that are now reaching 350,000klms and they are still going strong, with no major issues. With the speed limits that you have here, the engines in these vehicles are never over burdened, so they just keep going.