Shane: Moving to Adelaide

shane

Hi all

I am busy applying for a SIR visa 495 and I have already received sponsership from South Australia (should receive my visa in 4 to 6 months)

I am an aircraft technician (instruments) and I would like to know if there is anyone out there who knows of any jobs in Adelaide.

What I also would like to know is your opinions? Should I just go over with my whole family after receiving my visa or should I go job searching alone.

Can you guys give me some tips, about on what I should do beforehand and after my family and I land.

Thanx

Hi Shane

Firstly, good luck with your application, may all go smoothly.

For jobs, check out www.seek.com.au and www.mycareer.com.au

Beforehand, make sure you have a letter from your comprehensive insurance stating what category you are - it can solve a lot of problems for you here when taking out car/householders insurance.

If you can get hold of a reference with regard to renting a house, character reference, etc., that will make it easier for you to rent a place in Adelaide, the agents like to have a reference when you apply.

Queensize and Kingsize beds are six inches longer in Australia. So, if you are bringing beds in these sizes, make sure you have enough fitted sheets to last the lifetime of the bed, as the Aussie fitted sheets will be too long for the bed.

With regard to the question should you come alone or just come with your whole family - that is not a question I would like to venture an answer to! I presume it would depend on your finances.

Once again, good luck, may everything just fall into place!

Welcome Shane! Hope you find this site very useful.

I am sure that Marius wil answer any questions regarding Adelaide for you as he is living there and quite enjoying it I believe. So if you need any advice you can also PM him.

Hallo mense

How are you all doing ?

Is there anyone that is going or went over on a SIR 495 visa?

We would like to hear your opinion\experience with the visa!

Also if there is anyone living in Adelaide, we would like to hear from you.

Shane,

I am here on a diffrent visa, the 457 and I am currently in the final stages of employer sponsored Permanent Residency under the RSMS scheme. I live in Adelaide. The state will not approve your sponsorship if they do not feel you have a reasonable chance of employment. I will be sure to keep and ear out for more specific places here for your type of work. I am in a different section of employment, although also technical. I have a friend that is here on your type of visa, they arrived in December 2005. He thought it best to get a job first before coming over and set up house before his family arrived in February. This is however personal preference and circumstances that dictate. I personally was never faced with such choices as I was lucky enough to be offered work and sponsorship here in Adelaide while still in RSA, I arrived with my family 3 months later !.

Adelaide is a very nice place to live, mild to cool ( not cold ) in winter, with rain :) and hot in summer, dry heat. Nice beaches and scienic areas around it with large wineyards in certain areas, similar to some areas in the Cape I suppose. Lots of large parks for people and families to relax and have a barby over weekends B) . Adelaide is known as the large country town, the atmosphere and way of life reflects that with all modern conveniences still available. Excellent public transport system and good schools, from private to public. See the section on this site under communities for more info on Adelaide.

If you require more specific information or even general queries, post it on thsi site or PM me. I will help the best I can with the information I have. I am however sure all your questions can be answered by someone on this forum.

Best of luck and please keep in touch. We can have cold beer in the hot weather when you arrive :o

People in the eastern States of Australia think that Adelaide is a bit of a country town, even though it has a population of 1.1 million, so, true to word, like a very big country town, it's not what you know but who you know.

I'll have a word with my mate, Lloyd, who works on aircraft down at the airport.

He might be able to put me in the right direction about jobs for Aircraft Techs.

• 3 weeks later...

I ran into my mate, Lloyd, who works at the Adelaide airport on aircraft . . . . at last.

I've PM's to you his email address so you can get the "low-down" on jobs at the airport, straight from a bloke working there.

If there are any jobs as an aircraft technician going, he'll know about it.

Good luck, mate.

• 4 weeks later...
People in the eastern States of Australia think that Adelaide is a bit of a country town, even though it has a population of 1.1 million, so, true to word, like a very big country town, it's not what you know but who you know.

I'll have a word with my mate, Lloyd, who works on aircraft down at the airport.

He might be able to put me in the right direction about jobs for Aircraft Techs.

Hi,

We are also going to Adelaide (with Shane and his family who are friends of ours from Joburg) shortly. Pierre, my husband, is also an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Avionics) with South African Airways and we would also like to make contact with your pal at the airport to find out about any possible, suitable jobs available. Would you be able to help?? thanks :oops:

Queensize and Kingsize beds are six inches longer in Australia. So, if you are bringing beds in these sizes, make sure you have enough fitted sheets to last the lifetime of the bed, as the Aussie fitted sheets will be too long for the bed.

Is THAT why none of the fitted sheets I bought in Aus fits properly?! I thought they could simply not measure properly when they cut the material! :ilikeit:

Shane,

A family member of mine and his family went to Adelaide without a job, but with enough ZAR to make a living for the first few months. He ended up working in gardens, selling biscuits for the cancer society and working as a chef before he landed a permanent position in his line of work. It depends on whether you are the kind of person who's willing to do whatever it takes to provide for your family in the quest for the life you choose in Aus and if you have enough funds available to sustain yourself for at least 6 to 9 months. You might find the perfect job right away, but then again, you might not. It's a bit of a gamble, but you would not be the first one to take a plunge at the deep end. Whatever you decide, I hope everything works out for you! Good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome Shane! Hope you find this site very useful.

I am sure that Marius wil answer any questions regarding Adelaide for you as he is living there and quite enjoying it I believe. So if you need any advice you can also PM him.

We are here in Adelaide on a 495 VISA. This is a hard VISA but was our only hope of getting in so we took it. We have been very lucky in that my partner started working within 2 weeks of arriving and I landed a contracting position within a month. My position has been made permanent so my experiences have been really good. In my opinion if the 495 is the only way to get use it, but for preference go for a PR type VISA. The upside is that as soon as you lodge your application for PR you become illegible for Medicare at least. Also we arrived here on the Visa before the second stage was thought out properly and the concessions for the second stage are great. If you have complied with the visa conditions it seems that getting PR will not be too difficult. You need sponsorship from Immigration SA and then the health (medicals again) and character (Police certificates) are the only big hurdles.

Many people find the financial stress that the 495 places on you quite intimidating. I have heard of a few people that have arrived on 495 VISAS and within 2 months of arriving have decided to leave. When you arrive here the money seems to disappear at an alarming rate. Also you must be a permanent resident to be considered for government positions. This is being addressed by the immigration agents and law makers.

Please have a look at www.tenix.com for careers stuff as they employ aircraft technicians. Contacting them may be a good idea.

Living in Adelaide is brilliant. The food is good (which is going to make the medicals difficult). The entertainment is great and people way friendly. The beaches stretch for miles and are clean and quiet.