Melbourne or Brisbane?

JTC

Hi, we are new to the site. We are in the process of waiting to receive acknowledgement of our VISA application from the Aus Dept. From what I have heard and read we've got a very long wait. My husband is a plumber and has owned his own business for the passed 7 years. I haven't been able to find anything on this website about other plumbers?? Can anyone shed some light on employment for plumbers in Aus or any useful sites to go to? We are keen to move to Melbourne. But from what we have read, it seems like all the jobs are in Brisbane. Also, currently I am a stay at home mom to 2 little boys (almost 5ys and 1yr old). I'm still very keen to not have to go back to work, and was wondering if I would still have this priviledge in Aus? PS: Also feeling very emotional about leaving SA - I love this place, but like most of you, we're thinking about the future of our sons. We are looking forward to chatting with you all. JTC.

Hi JTC

We have lived in both, and for me, I would choose Melbourne over Brisbane anyday! It is a personal thing though, it all depends what you like, we did not like the humidity in Brisbane.

As far as job opportunities go, I think there would be far more job opportunities for a plumber in Melbourne due to the sheer size of the place, but again that is only my opinion.

If you go to the section for 'communities' check under Melbourne Victoria, and you will see a pinned message at the top, 'things you may want to know about Melbourne'. You will see links there to many things, including job sites.

Good luck with your decisions!

Sorry to keep repeating you Mara, but I agree - there would have to be more scope for employment in Melbourne for most sectors.

If humidity is a problem then Brisbane could be very uncomfortable. Some people can handle it, but for me, Durban is about as much as I can handle - Brisbane is far worse!

Is there a choice? :blush: hiehiehie Honestly, it depends on what you like weather wise. Brisbane is very humid, probably a bit like Durban and Melbourne can be cold, like Cape Town. In ways.

JTC, the guy we are renting our house from is a plumber, he has got his own business. If you get questions through to me, I can get it to him and find out what you need to know.

Good luck on the waiting.

Yep, you're right Oubossies - Melbourne does have pretty miserable winters - probably a good thing to mention to people who can't stand the cold/rain...

Hi JTC

We have lived in both, and for me, I would choose Melbourne over Brisbane anyday! It is a personal thing though, it all depends what you like, we did not like the humidity in Brisbane.

As far as job opportunities go, I think there would be far more job opportunities for a plumber in Melbourne due to the sheer size of the place, but again that is only my opinion.

If you go to the section for 'communities' check under Melbourne Victoria, and you will see a pinned message at the top, 'things you may want to know about Melbourne'. You will see links there to many things, including job sites.

Good luck with your decisions!