Greetings from Hillcrest

Ready2go

Hi everyone,

What a great informative site. Cant believe so many of us wanting to do this.

My family, (hubby, plus 2 aged 12 and 13, plus 2 Siamese) live in Forest Hills, near the Kloof Gorge. An extremely beautiful part of KZN. However, no matter how beautfiful, the time has come to bid farewell and try to move on.

This has been a very difficult decision, we loved this country no matter how bad the schooling, government etc, we were staying and would switch the lights off once you had all left. However, crime hit home and our minds were made up for us. 3 weeks ago, my daughter and I were hijacked, both held at gun point inside the driveway of our home. We understand we are lucky to be here, but the trauma this has caused in huge.

Hubby is a Refrigeration Aircon Technician and an Electrician, trade tested in both. We are hoping this will get us into Oz. My family, (aunts, uncles in Perth) say life is good there - if we are prepared to work, especially hubby for a year or two at the mines, we should be okay. Anyone know of someone doing this type of work ?

We are at the very early stages of this whole process. Migration agents are listed by the hundreds, but which do you trust ? Any suggestions - good experiences ? It has also been suggested to us to use an agent based in Oz - what to you guys think ?

We were so disappointed last weekend when the Coffee Club in the Kloof area met. We were not validated for this site and couldnt make contact. Please guys, if anyone is meeting around here, we would love to join you. Only snag, we are too scared to be out when dusk falls. So it has to be in daylight hours.

Hoping to hear from someone soon !!

Hi Ready2go

Welcome, we trust you will find this site informative and helpful.

We have two registered Australian based migration agents on this site, you can contact them as follows

ptlabs http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showuser=1892

or

Fiona http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showuser=657

Hi Ready2Go

We're from the Bluff - not too far from you. So sorry to hear about your hijacking incident. That is absolutely terrible - I can empathise with you and relate to the trauma that you are going through because my husband was also hijacked a couple of years back in his then employer's vehicle - had a gun held to his head which was cocked while the guy was holding it there - he had nightmares for weeks after that. Yes, this country is beautiful and we're sad to be wanting to leave our family and friends behind but the crime, etcetera is just getting out of hand (and nobody seems to be doing anything about it) - not to mention the job situation - what about our kids - what future is there for them here. I really don't think your hubby is going to have a problem because if I'm not mistaken, he's on the SOL and the MODL (skilled shortage list) - I see he has two trades behind him, which is the trade is he currently working in? If I'm not mistaken (and anybody can correct me here) he needs to have approximately 6 years working experience in the Electrical Trade (not sure about the Refrigeration Technician trade) and have been working in his designated trade for the last 12 months. Regarding the migration agents, we are using a company in Umhlanga by the name of Destination Australia, New Zealand. A lady by the name of Ruth has been assisting us with our application. Give me a shout if you would like her details. As for whether it is better to have an Australian based agent, unfortunately I can't give any advice on that one - perhaps someone else on the forum can assist. My thoughts are with you and God Bless!

Marcia

Hi Ready2go

My hubby is also an electrician, and the skill is on the MODL list. Your hubby actually needs 7 years experience and had to be in his current occupation for the last 4 years. You can also go and have a look on the MODL list on the website http://www.immi.gov.au/

I know of a agent in Perth that comes regularly to SA and who also can help you. They are Ross Relocation Services, and the agent's is Martin Ross, his email address is martin@rrs.com.au. You can find out when they will be hear in SA again, and make an appointment to go and see them when they are hear.

My husband is going for an interview witin the next 2 weeks. There is enough work for you hubby's trade (both trades).

Sorry to hear what happened to him and your daugther, I can only say sorry, have not been in that situation, and yes it is sorry that we all have to leave this beautiful country, but with everything that is going on around here, no one is safe.

We are currently from Gordon's Bay, and hope to see you soon in AUS.

Good luck with everything.

Telanie

Edited by Robert & Telanie

The next coffee club is set for the 18th August (Saturday Afternoon) from 2.00pm at LisaT's house in Kloof.

It is a bring & Braai.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers

Camper

Hi Guys

Welcome to the forum! It's amazing how many agents there are out there!

We are using Hitchcock and Associates they are MARA registered and based in Sydney with offices in Durban 031 208 3355 I can also recommend PTLabs (0n the forum) who is very knowledgable and is cheaper than my agents - only discovered this after the fact. He is also based in Aus.

If your application is straightforward (which it seems to be as your skills are in demand) it's possible to apply for the visa yourself and save thousands of rands. Our agent's fee is around R32 000. Crazy! But i am glad we went throught them as our application was not so straightforward.

Hi there Ready2Go - welcome to this fabulous forum! :ilikeit: We are from Hillcrest and heading for Perth! Sorry you missed the last coffee club - it was a great get together - try and make the next one on 18th Aug at Lisa T's house in Kloof.

Hi There!

Lived in Koof and Hillcrest prior to our moving to the Gold Coast almost 6 years ago.

When we migrated our children were 13,11,9 years old. They are all three now TEENAGERS.(need I say more?)

Sorry to here about your hijacking experience, but sometimes it takes sonething truely awful to make one realise that that you have what it takes to move your whole life to another continent.

Please google Tamborine Mountain . Area accessible from Brisbane through Beenleigh. 650 metres above sea level and almpost exact topography/Climate as Hillcrest and Kloof. Even has a GORGE-Guanaba Gorge.

Shopping area reminds me of the Heritage market-but authentic.

Hi ready2go

Also live in Forest Hills and at the start of the application (going for a skilled visa)

So sorry about your circumstances!!!!! Who would have thought that quiet little forest hills would also become a haven of crime!!!!

Some other agents u might not have seen - very helpful and professional

www.aismigration.com - Athina

www.carremigration.co.au - Fiona

All the best and welcome to the forum!

:holy: Col

Hi everyone,

Thanks to everyone for their responses and advices. Not sure where this note will get posted, we still trying to navigate our way around this site.

Just wondering, are there many 40 - 42 year olds planning this move ? Are we not perhaps too OLD for this ? :blink:

Chat soon !

Most definitely not too old - life begins at 40! :blink: (we are both 40 and planning the big move..)

Edited by Mary

most people are around 38 to 42 as far as i can gather.

\

We've done it at 44 and 45, like they say life begins at 40 and doesn't stop there!!!!!!

The opportunity to make a go of it even at 45 is very good.

See ya in Aussie!!!

Hi Ready2go

We are from Waterfall area and my husband is also in Refrigeration/electrical! He leaves for Sydney in two months time...and hopes to find a job as soon as he arrives there. Only thing is he will have to get his trade recognised once he arrives...still trying to read through all the paper work we have to see how that works!!

Good luck, and hopefully we will see you on the 18th!

Robyn

Then you still have to discover that life begins at 40. :whome::lol:

Haa HAA Camper :( speak for yourself!!!! Some of us are still young 35 year old!!!!!!

:unsure: Col

well camper if thats the case :) Im screwed!!! cause my life is already "begininng" :lol:

Oh well Life is to be lived and enjoyed :ilikeit:

:holy: Col

• 3 weeks later...

Gosh everyone from my old area....I was from Winston Park - made the move at 40 and 45 - no regrets - I too like Queensland girl are on the Gold Coast (the best place to be - just so like Durban) - schools are great. If you are looking at working on the mines - there are these sites to look at

mycareer.com.au/jobs/all/mining-oil-gas/mining-processing/ or go onto Rio Tinto's site and go onto the careers section and you will see there are lots of jobs and they are very short of electricians and if they need you they will assist you in getting your visa's through - sometimes they can get them through in a couple of weeks....check it out...