SA -> NZ -> OZ

ddee

Hi Everybody,

We've just started the process of applying for our residency to Oz :( . Originally migrated from SA to NZ, and still resident in NZ :blink: , but hoping to join everybody in Oz (possibly Melbourne) soon! :)

Looking for some assistance and I hope I can be of assistance to anybody else where required.

Hi

I am a old Kiwk myself. Been in Oz since 1999. Best move we did. Lived in Hamilton for nearly 5 years.

Good luck with the plans.

L'mari

Hi ddee,

We lived in Auckland for 3 and a half years and have now been in Sydney for 4 years. Mara has also lived in Auckland and now lives in Melbourne. Marlene lived in Auckland and moved a short while ago to Griffith in New South Wales. There are many of us on the forum who will be able to assist, just fire away with your questions!

SAS

Hi guys!

Thank you for all the replies! I have sent off all the documentation for my skills to be assessed, on Friday.

Could any of you maybe give me an idea as to whether the process will be quicker or the same from NZ?

Thanks again.

Debbie

I also have the option to go to NZ. If you do get Pr in NZ, how long before you can obtain citizenship?

I also have the option to go to NZ. If you do get Pr in NZ, how long before you can obtain citizenship?

Hi daar Biltongboer.

JOng ek is nie seker hoe lank dit nou is voor jy burgerskap kan kry in NZ nie. Maar ek dink is nou 5 jaar. Nadat ons daar weg is het die nuwe wette ingekom. Ons het bv nog oorgekom sonder enige aansoeke. Ons het ook al lankal ons burgerskap hier in Australia..

Groete vir almal in wat vra.

L'mari

Hi daar Biltongboer.

JOng ek is nie seker hoe lank dit nou is voor jy burgerskap kan kry in NZ nie. Maar ek dink is nou 5 jaar. Nadat ons daar weg is het die nuwe wette ingekom. Ons het bv nog oorgekom sonder enige aansoeke. Ons het ook al lankal ons burgerskap hier in Australia..

Groete vir almal in wat vra.

L'mari

Hi,

Dankie vir jou reply. Ons gaan nie wag vir burgerskap in NZ voor ons Australia toe gaan nie. Dit gaan 'n heel nuwe aansoek wees, van scratch af. Ons is maar skaars in NZ. Ons het NZ Residency, maar wil graag oorkom Australia toe.

Hi ddee

As SASydneysider mentioned, I am also ex Auckland, been in Melbourne for 10 years now. If there is anything I can do to assist, please just ask!

Mara

Hi ddee

As SASydneysider mentioned, I am also ex Auckland, been in Melbourne for 10 years now. If there is anything I can do to assist, please just ask!

Mara

Thanks Mara, I'm sure I will have LOTS of questions. I'm just surfing around through existing posts, maybe I can get some of my questions answered, before having to ask.

Thanks you guys!

D

We also came over only with residency. I can't think that the process will be quicker, because you are still coming over on a South African passport. Getting paperwork across does go quicker though. Also, you do not need to re-qualify your drivers license and the second-time immigration is really much easier.

Good luck

Yes, you need to have PR for 5 years before you can apply for citizenship in NZ.

Hallo All,

I was wondering why you all moved away from NZ? Is it not nice in Auckland and Hamilton? Or what was the problem??

Waiting for your replies,

Cheers

Hallo All,

I was wondering why you all moved away from NZ? Is it not nice in Auckland and Hamilton? Or what was the problem??

Waiting for your replies,

Cheers

Jake, NZ is a very beautiful country with lots of positive things about it, but we just felt that that is not where we want to grow old. We have been in Griffith now for 6 weeks and like I have said before, we see the same surroundings as what we would have seen in the Swartland...lots of gum trees and lots of vineyards.

Auckland is very wet, and with high humidity in summer. For us, coming from Wellington in the Boland, the difference was huge.

Like all countries NZ has got its share of problems, BUT I think if you can only immigrate via a working visa category, NZ will probably look after you better than Aus. On the other hand....in the long run, things like medical and pension funds are much better here than in NZ.

It also makes a huge difference if you are going to live in a city of rural village/town.

NZ is perfect for families, we don't have kids and sometimes we feel a bit left out as NZ cater for family life and kids, big time. So for quality of life and for a familly with kids, especially young kids, it's perfect.

This is just our experience, but like I said, sometimes, we feel a bit left out. The weather isn't really our reason for wanting to leave, but rather the working conditions for us. Me & my husband are both in IT. I was the main applicant coming to NZ, but unfortunately it's been difficult for my husband, who has years of experience, but no qualifications, to find a decent job. So, mainly, that has been our main motivation for wanting go to Australia.

I would love to retire to NZ one day, but for now, we've still got too much drive and energy.

Some people tell us that immigration is easier for us, because we don't have kids. Believe me, it doesn't make it any easier, because when you have kids, you tend to keep busy with their activities and make friends through their schooling and sports, etc.

We have lots of exSAn friends here in NZ, there are quite a few of us here, most of them live on the North Shore, and most of them love it here though. It definately is an individual's experience and expectations.

:D

"NZ is perfect for families, we don't have kids and sometimes we feel a bit left out as NZ cater for family life and kids, big time. So for quality of life and for a familly with kids, especially young kids, it's perfect."

This sounds fine to me, the reason I'm leaving is becasue of my kids and our family life. Now I feel a bit more positive about NZ.

My chances of getting a job in NZ are very good at the moemnt, so it gets crucial for me now to make the decision. But I was also wondering why there are so many guys going to Oz from there.

anyway, in stead of waiting in Namibia for two years vefore I get PR in Oz, I could rather go overto NZ and wait two years there. and I could like it so much that t wont matter anyway?

Hi BB , ( nie Big Brother, wel Biltongboer! ;))

Jammer dis nou bietjie :offtopic:

Jy sal vêr kom met so 'n positiewe uitkyk!! Jy moet regtig ook probeer om met 'n geregistreerde MARA agent , hetsy die op die forum of 'n ander een soos André Burger waarvan ek jou vertel het, in verbinding tree dalk het hulle vir jou 'n plan. Ek weet André gaan gereeld RSA en Nam toe vir besigheid.

Sw

Guest colton
"NZ is perfect for families, we don't have kids and sometimes we feel a bit left out as NZ cater for family life and kids, big time. So for quality of life and for a familly with kids, especially young kids, it's perfect."

This sounds fine to me, the reason I'm leaving is becasue of my kids and our family life. Now I feel a bit more positive about NZ.

My chances of getting a job in NZ are very good at the moemnt, so it gets crucial for me now to make the decision. But I was also wondering why there are so many guys going to Oz from there.

anyway, in stead of waiting in Namibia for two years vefore I get PR in Oz, I could rather go overto NZ and wait two years there. and I could like it so much that t wont matter anyway?

We have just come back from NZ and as everyone mentioned it is really beautiful. Reminded me alot of Scotland actually. We have family living there, past 10 years, and love it BUT I would suggest everyone go and see NZ first.

For us personally if we had gone to NZ instead of Australia we would have returned by now. It is BITTERLY cold in the winter and the constant rain, you may as well be living in the UK. We are very active outdoor people and it just wouldn't suit us. I can see why the official figures are 15 000 entering each year but 40 000 leaving New Zealand each year.

Once again it is a beautiful GREEN GREEN country but it all depends on what you want. For us it wouldn't have worked but many other South Africans are very happy there. Good luck on your decision.

What is really nice about NZ, it that does not matter if you're a resident or not, but children under 6 gets free medical! Everywhere you go people/places are geared for children. And yes, there are places where it does not rain everyday and where the temperature is a bit more mild, BUT it does not always mean there will be jobs.

If your children does not worry too much about the change and then possibly again in 2 year's time, then why not enjoy the experience. Not a lot of people can say they have lived in 3 countries.

Aargh; choices, choices. And these are not choices you can "undo" quickly!

At the moment I feel that I should take the first offer that I can get, but this could be stupid. You never take the first bone that's thrown at you, that's plain desperation! On the other hand, a ticket out of here is still a ticket out of here...

Edited by Biltongboer