Tim & Abby: Just starting out

Tim & Abby

Hi there

We've just started the application process and we were happy to see this forum - we've already picked up some great tips - thank you!

Tim & Abby

No, we are not going to let you off that easy!

Firstly, a big welcome here!

Where in CT are you from? Where in Oz are you coming to? What type of Visa are you applying for?

Greetings from the NSW bush

Guest Seoul Sister

Hi Tim and Abby,

Welcome to the forum. :ilikeit: Looking forward to seeing you on the forum and hearing more about you and your planned life Down Under.

Love from Korea

Seoul Sister

:ilikeit:

Welcome Tim & Abby

ditto re Otto's post

All the best with the process and don't forget that we're here to help you in whatever way we can

Cindylou

Welcome to the site from a fellow Cape Towner.

Hope you find the site useful and full of tips.

See ya round

Hi there Tim & Abby

Welcome to the most exhilirating, scary, wonderful rollercoaster ride of your life!

Hold on tight, and enjoy the ride.....

Hi Tim & Abby

Welcome, I have found the members & info posted previously on this this site most helpful & supportive. Where about are you in the process? any idea where want to look at living ?.

Regards & best of luck

Hi there

Wow! Thanks for the cool welcome!

We're based in the Cape Town City Bowl and we're applying for a General Skilled Visa. We're still at the stage of getting all our paperwork in order (you know the drill: matric certificates, unabridged birth certificates, etc.!).

At the moment we're looking at going to Melbourne, because we heard that it's the city that's most like Cape Town, and we were also told that you aren't allowed to go straight to Sydney unless you have a job offer there. We're just hoping that Melbourne isn't as windy as Cape Town!

Tim & Abby

Do you have an offer in Melbourne?

Do you have an offer in Melbourne?

No, not yet. I have to apply via the ACS (Australian Computer Society) to prove my work abilities as I have no degree, but have more than 10 years experience. Once we are through all that, I can look at applying for jobs.

Cheers,

Tim (of Tim & Abby)

Guest Seoul Sister

Hi there,

I know a guy who owns an IT company (consultancy) in Melbourne - but it is very specific skills they need. Don't you want to please PM me just a short list of your skills, maybe they can use you... (That doesn't sound right :rolleyes: ) Maybe you can help them !! (better) :ilikeit:

Love

SS

:)

Hey Tim & Abby,

Good luck with it all - you'll find some great help here, I'm sure. One thing - the advice that you got about Sydney was wrong....if you get a General Skilled Visa, you can live anywhere. The 'needing a job' thing applies to those entering on a sponsored visa and applied to all cities. BUT, that said, if you're looking for something similar to CT, then I think Melbourne would be more up your street anyway :rolleyes: I'm a Joey's girl, so Sydney suits me :ilikeit:

Shout if you need anything, OK!

Cheers

Ajay

Now for my tuppence worth, welcome and as I live in Melbourne, if you need info, shout loudly!

Hi there and welcome

As Ajay said if you have PR you can work anywhere. Also a few occupations in the IT industry and have just been added to the MODL so you might get extra points or be able to speed up your application if yours is on there. My hubby also has no degree and 10 years experience in the IT industry and we were fortunate enough to get a position here (Sydney) without our PR. Let us know what line of work you are in and maybe we can help further.

Good Luck

Or try RSMS, application time can be as short as 3 weeks, high success rate, but you have to stay 2 years in the platteland.

Welcome Tim & Abby!

Shout if you need any info you can't find on the site - we are all here ( & very eager) to help!! :angry:

Hi there and welcome

As Ajay said if you have PR you can work anywhere. Also a few occupations in the IT industry and have just been added to the MODL so you might get extra points or be able to speed up your application if yours is on there. My hubby also has no degree and 10 years experience in the IT industry and we were fortunate enough to get a position here (Sydney) without our PR. Let us know what line of work you are in and maybe we can help further.

Good Luck

Hi there. Thanks again for the welcome. These are certainly friendly forums and it's nice to know that there are decent folks out there who are keen to help.

I'm an IT Manager for a publishing company. I have worked in IT for over 12 years - mostly in banking.

Abby is a magazine editor and has worked in this industry for about 7 years.

Thanks again.

Tim

• 2 months later...

Hi there!

Sorry for the 'radio silence' but we've been online, we promise!

Well, we've been busy on our application so here's the update:

1) Tim put together his ACS application, and I must tell everyone who's doing this that we've found it exceptionally stringent - it's not easy to put together 10-year-old references that fit the criteria! Not easy, either, to find people who are still at the company to give you a reference after 10 years :hug: We persevere...

2) We've also got a quote from Keringa Kennels for our cats (lots of $$)and we haven't found any better method to get them out sooner - we'll let everyone know if we find a short cut.

Abby (& Tim)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again

You'll have seen from some of Tim's posts that we've found the whole ACS (Australian Computer Society) application really tough - the worst part definitely being trying to get references for 10 years of experience that give the ACS enough detail.

Sooo... we've decided to change visas. We're going to apply for a family sponsorship visa through Tim's uncle, going in under my qualifications through VETASSESS (apparently much simpler - hold thumbs for us!).

Any tips or hints for this type of visa?

Abby (& Tim)