Hi everybody

Johann-Heinrich

My wife and I are almost on our way (mid September) to Sydney. We are going over on a study visa, I'm going to do my PhD for 3.5 years at Macquarie University.

I've read quite a number of posts on these forums already and must say that they have been very helpful.

I need some advice regarding living costs, but I'll find the appropriate place for that and ask it there.

Anyhooo, hello all.

Hello Johann-Heinrich

Welcome to the Forum. It's a great place to come for light entertainment and heavy information.

LiezelM and her husband has just moved to Sydney, great couple! I suggest you PM her.

Nilo

Welcome.

I hope you guys enjoy it here.

Good luck.

Regards

Johan

Welcome to the forum!! :D You can also use the "search" function (top-right of screen) to get info on any subject which may already have been discussed. For living expenses, use words like: budget, expenses, costs, "living expenses" (in the " ") etc - there's heaps of info on that! :unsure:

Macquarie Uni is in North Ryde, just a short drive from Chatswood, the city & The Hills - your wife will LOVE the huge shopping centre (incl movies, ice-rink, restaurants) right next to the uni! Lots of public transport from & to the uni as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum. Sydney is great and I am sure you will be happy at the uni.

When you arrive get your wife to pm me, there is a group of us from the forum that get together every month and its a great way to make friends and find your way around.

Best of luck

My wife and I are almost on our way (mid September) to Sydney. We are going over on a study visa, I'm going to do my PhD for 3.5 years at Macquarie University.

Hi Johann-Heinrich

If you're looking for a place close to Macquarie Uni let me know. We stayed opposite Macquarie Uni in furnished temporary accommodation that was clean and well equipped.

Tania

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tickets paid for (arriving in Sydney on the 10th of Sep.), but I'm wondering about this insurance thing. Is it necessary, what does it cover?

I have a student visa and my wife and I have OSHC (Overseas Student's Health Cover) as soon as I sign something in Australia and get the medical card.

If I need "travel/whatever" insurance where can I get it? I was at STAtravel today and all they do is if it is for travel and you have return tickets.

Tickets paid for (arriving in Sydney on the 10th of Sep.), but I'm wondering about this insurance thing. Is it necessary, what does it cover?

You don't HAVE to get travel insurance... I didn't and had no problems with Qantas. Up to you whether you want it or not.