Heading off bush for three months

Bob

Just to let you troops know that I'm saddling up first thing tomorrow morning to drop Heidi, my youngest daughter off at the airport for her flight back to Sydney / Newcastle.

This means I'll be in my 4WD and I'll just be heading north for a few thousand kms, way up into the tropics, camping in my caravan with Ginnie in the bush until October.

First stop is a cattle station somewhere up in the Northern Territory run by folk that my sister-in-law knows.

I don't know how long we stay there . . . could be an overnighter or a whole month . . . . but who cares?

I'm only the driver . . . . SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) is the organiser

We head north to the Territory for a month, then turn left into the top part of Western Australia . . . one bit of this country I haven't seen yet!

See you troops in October :thumbdown:

. . . . and I hope to see heaps more of you Springbok supporters living in Australia, soaking up the sun and the good life here by the time I get back.

Australia needs you.

Edited by Bob

Bob, Bob before you go, did you read my posting, I said Ozzie ozzie ozzie oi oi oi, I would like our PR now not in 3 months.

And, what are we gonna do without you on the forum????

I'm in a state!!!

Enjoy your trip and give my regards to SWMBO like the way se opperates, you go girl!!

Wise man Bob, very wise man you are!

Hey Bob..enjoy...and say Hi to the Alice if you go past there... :thumbdown:

Bob and Ginnie, have a great trip......lot's of photos please!

Hi Bob

Have a safe trip. We'll be visiting Adelaide in the second half of October for 2-3 weeks - probably spend some some of that time staying with sister-in-law Denise. Hope to meet you then.

Regards,

Scott

Have a great time Bob.

If you go towards Uluru, when you turn off the Stuart Highway onto the Lassiter Highway, drive on for about 140km, and you'll come across what is probably the best Roadhouse/Diner Stop in the Territory. (Admittedly we've never been further north than Tennant Creek.) It will be on the Right-hand side if you are driving towards Uluru.

Last time I we were there they served steaks the size of tractor tyres. (Only joking, but you'll catch my drift...)

Cheers,

Dax

Edited by Dax

Good luck Bob. Wish we could join you ....

See you in October for a braai and a debrief..... :ilikeit:

Hi Bob

My husband and I would both give our front teeth, left big toes and a finger to do what you guys are going to do. We love to travel, but never have we been blessed enough to do it for 3 months. One day....one day.

Enjoy your trip!! We will miss your good advice on the forum.

Regards

Frenchy and Family

Hi Bob

Enjoy your trip and take lots of photos! :thumbdown:

Hey Bob! Enjoy every minute! Can't wait to hear all about it when you get back. (Take lots of photos!! :thumbdown: )

• 2 months later...
This means I'll be in my 4WD and I'll just be heading north for a few thousand kms, way up into the tropics, camping in my caravan with Ginnie in the bush until October.

So how was the trip Bob?

Well, it's taken a good week or so to feel that I'm getting anywhere.

The kids wouldn't let me and Gin do much until they'd taken us both away again for a 3 day holiday up the Murray River with the young bloke's old speed boat.

It was fun, but I just wanted to sleep in my own bed for once!

Anyhow . . . .

we left Adelaide and headed for the Northern Territory border. There we stayed a number of days at a cattle station (ranch) right on the border on the Sth Australian side.

It was 100 kms from the homestead to the eastern boundary and another 60 kms to the western boundary. Their northern fenceline was the N.T. border

The mail plane lands at the station every Wednesday to deliver and pick mail up. Letters still only cost 50c to anywhere in Australia this way.

Tieyonstation.jpg

We'd go out in the bush most days. Here we are having a bite to eat at mid-day

Tieyonstationbarbylunchwaterdrillin.jpg

There has been a five year drought in this part of South Australia and the Northern Territory. Camels, brought out from British India in the 1860s now have bred up in large numbers and have come in from the Great Western Desert in W.A. to the west and from the Simpson Desert in the east for feed. They destroy valuable bushes needed for cattle grazing as the grass is non-existent. Camels also break fencing down and are a real menace.

Tieyonstationcamels3.jpg

Water is essential for grazing, as cattle only graze about 8 kms from any water hole. Here a new water bore is being drilled in the parched earth.

Tieyonstationwaterdrilling6.jpg

Leaving the homestead and heading north for Alice springs

Tieyonstationnorthside.jpg

The last time I crossed this particular bridge, the Finke River, it was underwater . . . that's right! . . underwater! That was April 2000.

The river is about 300 metres across and the bridge fairly high too, as you can see

FinkeRiver2.jpg

Alice Springs is a modern township of about 12 000 people set in a gap among the MacDonnell Ranges. To the west are a number of gorges and water holes.

Simpson's Gap

AlicespringsSimpsonsgapGinnie5.jpg

Ormiston Gorge

AlicespringsOrmistongorge1.jpg

To the east are the eastern MacDonnell Ranges

DSC00297.jpg

Bush camping, miles from nowhere

bushcampbrolgas6.jpg

Desert sunsets

DSC08997.jpg

I'll try to get other parts of Australia to show, as I download piccies and remember events.

Edited by Bob

I'll try to get other parts of Australia to show, as I download piccies and remember events.

Thank you Bob, we are looking forward to the next instalment of your travel journal!

Hi Bob,

Thank you so much for sharing your photo's with us. I am looking forward to seeing more.

Regards,

Lindie

Fantastic journey, wish I had been there!

• 4 months later...

Hey Bob!

You lucky sod!!! :ilikeit:

If you are in/near Alice and if you need anything, give me a shout.

Happy and safe travelling!

Tracy

No man you guys!! Hes came been went and gone!!

This was last year's trip!!! LOL!!!