Breast Cancer

Lianne Cawood

hi. Where to begin. My husband was due to arrive in Oz 1/8 on 457 visa with my 2 girls and I following to start the new year. A complication. I had a preinvasive breast cancer but have been clear the past 2 years. This was cleared by our immigration lawyers, as my condition was preinvasive. It has now returned and is invasive. I have just had a mastectomy and am about to undergo chemo. I know health and cancer is a huge issue. Any pointers on where to get some independent, conclusive advice? I will finish all my treatment before I go, and come back to SA for regular checkups. We will be on a private medical care. The sponsoring company will take full responsibility etc etc. Is it all a waste of time?? Anyone have anything to share that might help? Desperate is not the word.

Hi Lianne,

I don't have any advice for you. I feel for you, but actually feel lost trying to respond to your post!!!!

I have heard cancer treatment for breast cancer in Aus is very good. I also know they do a lot of research here. You might not need to go back to SAfrica for further checkups - your private medical in Aus might cover you on the Aus side. Try and find out if they do.

Get yourself the DVD called The Secret. It is about the law of attraction. It is quite expensive, but worth the while.

You are in my thoughts and my prayers.

Don't give up your plans to move to Aus!!

SAS

Guest colton

Sorry to hear about your problems Lianne. My daughter has a South African friend, also 17 years old, who after arriving here on PR discovered she had ovarian cancer. Has been through all the treatment etc and is on the road to recovery. The thing is though Australia is VERY supportive of cancer patients, she would never have received the same quality and amount of help back in RSA. I am sure your medical would cover treatments, etc here in Australia.

Unfortunately I have no advice on where to get advice, maybe contact an immigration lawyer? Hope you get good news, you are in my thoughts.

C

Hey. Thanks for the responses. The problem is we have not yet been granted our visa's (husband's imminent), I was just scheduled for my medical when this all happened, our plan was to go on private medical aid, but we have been advised no medical aid will want to take me on now already diagnosed, so better to keep on my SA MA. Apparently Australia will not allow you in unless your cancer is 5years in remission. I am less worried about follow up treatment but more about whether they will even have me. Am searching all avenues for answers, our immigration lawyers through our sponsored company are investigating but seem less than hopeful. Surely the fact that I am not contagious, will not be a financial burden to the state and am on a temporary visa (for now) should work in our favour?????

Oh well, not really expecting any answers ... this really sucks.

By the way SAS, I have The Secret. And absolutley agree, well worth it. In fact just bought the book too! Thanks for the concern.

Lianne,

Private health insurance providers in Australia stipulate that you must declare any pre-existing ailment or condition when you sign up, so that any medical expense to do with that condition will not attract a payment for up to 12 months.

Australia is a great place, not only for those down on their luck, but for families in general.

One of my three kids is handicapped. The level of support that we've got from the government and public agencies is the envy of relatives we have in Britain.

The Australian "ethos" is to get behind those battling in life and lend a helping hand. It's not always the same in other countries, from what I've heard.

We learnt in our tough times to just take one day at a time.

Just get through today.

Tomorrow will have enough dramas of its own to have to deal with.

Lianne,

I can really understand what you are going through right now, as I had breast cancer in 2001. Had all the tooty - and thank God - I'm in total remission since 2002.

I was quite worried about our medicals as well but I glide through that and our medicals have been cleared and is not an obstacle for us for the PR visa.

I understand that you are concerned for your family, but I doubt if Aus will not take you. I must also follow up in September and I really hope that we can be in Aus by then, as I still have to find an oncologist to take me over.

Lianne, if you not had any chemo before, prepare yourself for a roller coaster ride. I think if you really want the truth about that pm me and I will not lie to you as I belief to tell things as they are. I don't want to bore the rest of the forum with the details, but I really need to have a talk to you.

Radiation is not that bad, but you have to look after your skin during the radiation period.

Strongs to you and remember - God will never put something on your path of life, if He thinks you can't cope with it.

He will carry you through this - I can really promise you that.

Carelene

Liane

What about contacting the Immigration Department in Australia ? Surely there must be someone able to give some advice ?

All the best - I hope it goes well. :ilikeit:

Hi all. Thanks for the care. Am getting feedback all over, including DIAC, some contradictory, hence my plea! Will soldier on. Thanks SAS for your input, much appreciated, most sites been to, but some new ones excited to visit.

Thanks again and all take care.

Hi Lianne

I have heard of a case where the applicant has a health issue - not cancer - and was advised to apply despite this and, if the application is declined on health grounds one then has an opportunity to appeal. Often the factors you mention about self funded medical aid etc are not taken into account in the initial assessment but may swing it in the appeal process.

Don't give up hope, my feeling on this is that the first time you get a definitive answer to your question is when your visa application is assessed and stressing about it beforehand isn't going to make any positive difference!

Good luck and stay strong

Cindy

Guest colton

Lianne, me again. I forgot to mention that my cousin and his family immigrated approx. 10years ago. Their daughter has severe cerebal palsy and initially it was a problem they were not going to allow her in. They also appealed and she was finally accepted but on the condition that she would never claim from the government for any medical or financial help and that her parents took out cover to absorb any costs incurred with her disability.

All worked out well in the end and she is happily living here with her family. I am sure if you can prove the same it shouldn't be a problem, especially with your hubby being the main applicant. They still want his skills and as long as you are not the breadwinner it shouldn't be a problem. Worth a try?