New(ish) to Brisbane!

clarebear

Hi everyone

We arrived in Brisbane in October after 6 years in the UK. My husband and I are both from Durban and we have a little almost-two year old girl. My husband was really lucky and found a job (in IT) in our first week here, and after renting for 6 months we moved into our own home a couple of months ago. Our first few months were a blur with so much to do and sort out, but now that all the busy-ness is over I'm really feeling homesick. Everythings perfect, except we're the other side of the world from our friends and family! We're slowly getting to know new people, but its great to know we're not alone trying to muddle through this stage!

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum!

We are heading out to Brisbane in September. Our PR visa has just been approved.

I can imagine that you start to feel homesick. We still have to go through all of it too. Let us know how things are going.

Good luck + take care

Die Mulders

Thanks for that!! Actually, now that I've stuck myself out there I'm suddenly finding friendly faces all over which is great. I'd love to get in touch when you arrive. Have you got any family or friends here? Congrats on getting the PR, good luck with all your goodbyes, and we'll see you soon! x

Hi Clarebear,

How things going? Was interested to read your post as we also moved from the UK (having been there for 10 years) and not directly from SA. Wondering if you are homesick for UK or SA? I miss plenty about UK - I am finding it hard to settle again, despite previously thinking that we were not settled in London, we realise now that we actually were. But there are plenty of positives for being here, the weather being the main one. I have 2 kiddies, a 2 and a half year old and a 10 month old and live on the Gold Coast and have been here for 6 months.

Cheers for now,

Cands

Hi Clarebear,

How things going? Was interested to read your post as we also moved from the UK (having been there for 10 years) and not directly from SA. Wondering if you are homesick for UK or SA? I miss plenty about UK - I am finding it hard to settle again, despite previously thinking that we were not settled in London, we realise now that we actually were. But there are plenty of positives for being here, the weather being the main one. I have 2 kiddies, a 2 and a half year old and a 10 month old and live on the Gold Coast and have been here for 6 months.

Cheers for now,

Cands

Hi Cands

Yes, we get in a bit of muddle some days about what we're missing from where, and it feels like we're living in some strange space inbetween the three countries, not really fitting in any of them! Have sent you a PM with more info but hope it gets easier soon.

Clare x

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Clare and Cands,

I had some extra time today and decided to visit the forum and came across your posting. I had this discussion with someone a few days ago about which country I am missing. I arrived in Brisbane in Jan 2007, after living in France for ten years. At some stage it become my home and now I find with a bit of shock that I am homesick for France. SA still have strong roots in my hart though, and I hope one day it will be possible to move back and retire there with husband (There are still a few years to go). Did you also find it easier to settle down the second time around?

We have two kids, 7 & 17 and live in Carindale, about 20min from the City.

Cheers :ilikeit:

Naomi

Hi Naomi

Welcome to the confused club! I've found it a lot easier second time round, but perhaps more due to life stage - when I arrived in London I was single and didn't know a soul whereas I came to Aus with my hubby and daughter - and a lot less time on my hands to feel too lonely! But I do think its easier - second time you're more prepared to have your world shaken up, and for how even though everything is similar on the outside, its so very different when you scratch the surface. Different is often good, just takes some time to adjust and get some points of reference.

I had a good chuckle the day I realised I was missing things from our UK life - for years I'd thought I hated living there, and was desperate to leave! Just hoping that (cheap & efficient) online shopping and appetising supermarkets will take off over here :-)

Clare x

Just hoping that (cheap & efficient) online shopping and appetising supermarkets will take off over here :-)

Clare x

Hi Clare, I totally agree on that one. I find cooking a challenge here. Maybe it has something to do with the weather... not that I am complaining.

We are heading out to Brisbane in September. Our PR visa has just been approved.

Die Mulders

Veels geluk met die PR. Nou kan julle die finale PHD (Permant home destination) trip doen.

As ek mag vra hoekom gaan julle in Brisbane vestig en waar in Brisbane?