IT!!!

LittleDonkey

Hi,

We are looking for IT jobs in Australia (Brisbane, Melbourne, or so), but almost every add I see says "must have residency". Can anyone maybe tell us how you did it??

I'm getting worried...

Hi,

We are looking for IT jobs in Australia (Brisbane, Melbourne, or so), but almost every add I see says "must have residency". Can anyone maybe tell us how you did it??

I'm getting worried...

Hi. My hubby is also "one of those" :D .... :ilikeit:

We send his CV to a number of agencies. ( found Hays recruitment very helpfull). It seems that it is very easy to find an IT programmer job once you are in oz. It is a little bit more difficult doing so from SA. We went for a holiday to Brisbane and arranged interviews with recruiters before we went. They assured us that once in the country they will be able to arrange work within a week. So we changed our plans- we are now going to oz on my sponsorship and will find something for him once we are there. Good luck. PS have a look at careerone and IT seek. that will give you an idea on the amount of IT jobs in oz-

some advise :keep on applying- you will eventually find someone to sponsor you- apply wide and also send emails to recruiters and then keep on bugging them until they respond. Dont just send application away and wait. You must drive it all the way. Good luck

Thank you for the reply. I will start posting cv's today...but how did you get a sponsor? And what type of programmer is your husband? How long have you been looking for a job from here???

Thank you for the reply. I will start posting cv's today...but how did you get a sponsor? And what type of programmer is your husband? How long have you been looking for a job from here???

Hi. Will PM you.

We did have a PR visa when my husband started looking for work, but the agencies still did not respond to his cv because we were still in SA. He then phoned them and introduced himself and then send the cv, which was very effective. It seems that if you phone first they know you are serious.

You will have to get up at 2 in the morning but it works. You will also see that some jobs require a working visa and not a residency visa, so try to get Free Spirit to sponser you and then you can try those jobs. Good luck.

Liza

Edited by rsteyn

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am in Aussie at the moment and cant find work as a System Admin. Unfortunately , you have to take the plunge and get a visa. No visa equals no work. trust they will put back on a plane if you dont have a visa to work. Forget about Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth as these are no go area's.

Grek :wacko:

Hi,

I'm getting worried...

Welcome to Australia, Even if you here you will be privledged to receive a reply.

I am here for 4 months already and this is what I am expereincing.

Grek

We did have a PR visa when my husband started looking for work, but the agencies still did not respond to his cv because we were still in SA. He then phoned them and introduced himself and then send the cv, which was very effective. It seems that if you phone first they know you are serious.

You will have to get up at 2 in the morning but it works. You will also see that some jobs require a working visa and not a residency visa, so try to get Free Spirit to sponser you and then you can try those jobs. Good luck.

Liza

Hi Grek,

You have me a bit worried. Most people say we should go for Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth. Why, may I ask, do you say they are no-go-areas? Do you mean IT-wise?

LD

Hi There,

The best would be to take the plunge R350 and go to a migration agent. This is best the advise. They know all the in's and out's of immigration. At the time I applied I was not able to go Sydney , Perth, Brisbane or Melbourne.

The only way is to get a work sponser in one of those cities and that is very unlikely as they need to justify why ? they need to sponser you as a South African as oppossed to local skill.

So I had to take it and with a foot in the door ! being Adelaide (Regional Area).

I was able to get out of South Africa. It's quite is a lot waiting , expensive and your life hangs in mid air until you have the final Yeah or No. (5 years later it happened)

This is what i have been through with my family the past 5 years. That only the tip of the iceburg. I am sorry i dont want to sound negative but that is what happened? the honest truth. I had to re-apply for Driver's license , Do practical and do a theory test to pass learner then you have exactly 30 days to get your driver's.

Think of this long and hard. Do you have family in aussie?

Being alone no work for 4 months. luckily I have my sister that supports me. i had no rights to centre link benefits as you are a temp . resident and do not qualify for benefits. So if you have a family to feed, trust our little rands do not get far.

If it is God's will you will acheive this.

Regards

Grek

:)

Hi Grek,

You have me a bit worried. Most people say we should go for Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth. Why, may I ask, do you say they are no-go-areas? Do you mean IT-wise?

LD

IT - Information Technology

ICT - Information and Communications Technologies

Hi There,

The best would be to take the plunge R350 and go to a migration agent. This is best the advise. They know all the in's and out's of immigration. At the time I applied I was not able to go Sydney , Perth, Brisbane or Melbourne.

The only way is to get a work sponser in one of those cities and that is very unlikely as they need to justify why ? they need to sponser you as a South African as oppossed to local skill.

So I had to take it and with a foot in the door ! being Adelaide (Regional Area).

I was able to get out of South Africa. It's quite is a lot waiting , expensive and your life hangs in mid air until you have the final Yeah or No. (5 years later it happened)

This is what i have been through with my family the past 5 years. That only the tip of the iceburg. I am sorry i dont want to sound negative but that is what happened? the honest truth. I had to re-apply for Driver's license , Do practical and do a theory test to pass learner then you have exactly 30 days to get your driver's.

Think of this long and hard. Do you have family in aussie?

Being alone no work for 4 months. luckily I have my sister that supports me. i had no rights to centre link benefits as you are a temp . resident and do not qualify for benefits. So if you have a family to feed, trust our little rands do not get far.

If it is God's will you will acheive this.

Regards

Grek

:ilikeit:

The best places for IT and finance jobs are Melbourne and Sydney. You need to make sure the recruiters know you are serious and that you can pack up and move at a moments notice if you get offered a position and are looking for sponsorship. We got the names and email addresses off ads on Seek and then sent a mail saying we wanted sponsorship and were ready to move immediately. We were lucky and got a great job in Sydney.

You need to understand that companies requiring IT staff are generally not going to be situated in Regional Areas. Also if you were say IT Director in SA go for something like IT Manager. Once you have proved yourself and have Aussie experience you will be moved up or can move on.

If you have PR visa then consider taking on a contract or working in a call centre after hours (they pay good money) while you go for interviews or are waiting for replies. Australians are very relaxed so yes the process can be slow but you have to have the right attitude.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I am also new to this whole process and recently started it so I guess I won't be going any time soon...or maybe not.

I can agree that the agencies would want to deal with people that are willing to go immediately and would thereby mainly work with those candidates (sorry I'm not implying anything). The major cities are the places to be for IT as in any country and it would be best looking for a job there. I'm going to try to get into the Australian Computer Society since those sort of things go a long way and I can only suggest you do the same.

Do a search on SEEK IT and you'll see that there are plenty of vacancies. Most of them are for people already there yes but then you shouldn't have a problem then :D

I will be going to the Australian Expo here in JHB soon and will get an idea to whether it's worth while to make is of an agent or to go looking for a sponsorship.

I think there are a lot of concern surrounding Jobs for IT people but hell....a few years ago when I was still a student people use to cry doom for us IT people here in SA that we would not be able to find a job coz of our beautiful pale skin (not being sarcastic) and I cannot disagree more...there is SO MUCH WORK...Australia cannot be different otherwise there wouldn't be agencies that specifically focus on IT recruitment :D

I hope that my words are a little soothing to your worries but you should not give up, there are lots of work for the willing and besides...you are bright minded Saffer I'm sure

Regards

Michael

• 4 weeks later...

I also tried to get a sponsor while in SA and yes, even getting a reply was something! Then I took the plunge and went there (to Melbourne and Sydney) and came back with 5 job offers, all permanent and willing to sponsor. In my experience, going to the two big cities did not hinder a sponsorship. My visa nomination was approved in no time. I would take the plunge and go. I know it is expensive but definately worth while! :ilikeit:

• 2 years later...
I also tried to get a sponsor while in SA and yes, even getting a reply was something! Then I took the plunge and went there (to Melbourne and Sydney) and came back with 5 job offers, all permanent and willing to sponsor. In my experience, going to the two big cities did not hinder a sponsorship. My visa nomination was approved in no time. I would take the plunge and go. I know it is expensive but definately worth while! :)

How long were you in Melbourne/Sydney before you got the job offer? We're waiting for the new visa rules and regulations to come out in July since the visas we want to apply for (175 PR) are suspended for the time being. Thinking of hubby going there for 2 weeks + . What can you recommend? Where do we start? Was thinking about Brisbane...

Please pm me with your resume so that I can give it to my boss, they have sponsored a lot of South African IT people and are maybe looking for your skill

Regards

Hi All

I am in the fortunate situation of having a PR visa , but finding it difficult to secure work from South Africa. I have had my CV redone in the Aus style or formate. Can anybody advise as to how to go about securing a job from SA or is it best to be in the state that you would like to settle in . I am in the ICT sector Information Security with 10 years Experience and am looking at settling in Brisbane

Hi All

I am in the fortunate situation of having a PR visa , but finding it difficult to secure work from South Africa. I have had my CV redone in the Aus style or formate. Can anybody advise as to how to go about securing a job from SA or is it best to be in the state that you would like to settle in . I am in the ICT sector Information Security with 10 years Experience and am looking at settling in Brisbane

Mate, send me your resume so that I can forward it on to my boss...they specialize in all types of IT

And the answer to your question: you have to be luck I think...

regards

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I know it has been a while since anybody commented on this particular discussion but I was wondering if you could shed some light on the current state of the IT market? I I'm ideally trying to obtain employer sponsorship but most people I have spoken to have advised this is almost impossible. Yet reading the commetns above, it seems to me that there is still a chance. I am a Network Engineer (always worked with Cisco hardware).

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.....

Hi,

There seem to be more jobs advertised these days, but unfortunately I don't know how willing they are to sponsor. Are you able to apply for PR? Because if you are, I would recommend you rather go that route. I guess the best thing to do is just try and approach companies directly and send them your CV. Make sure your CV is in the Aussie format (examples can be found on SEEK). Also have a look on SEEK at the different jobs. Maybe it's worth being flexible about where you live initially so you can broaden your search.

Good luck and hope you find a sponsor!