Said Goodbye

les1968

Hi, New here

I'm still in SA in Pretoria but said good buy to my brother, his wife and 3 sons on friday 22 june 07, the good buys for the people left behind are just as bad, I am still having a hard time as we were close.

They left for Sydney, he started his new job today at Areva TD, they are staying in apartments in Parramatta for now while they look for a place to stay. The company sponsored them, paid the container, the tickets and 1 months accommodation, now thats a nice way to migrate.

I am hoping to join them in future, my wife has too much family here and they are close too, i personally don't think she would handle the separation well, therefore we wont be migrating soon, but I will obviously be working on brainwashing full time.

Geniet dit in OZ :ilikeit:

Hi, New here

I'm still in SA in Pretoria but said good buy to my brother, his wife and 3 sons on friday 22 june 07, the good buys for the people left behind are just as bad, I am still having a hard time as we were close.

They left for Sydney, he started his new job today at Areva TD, they are staying in apartments in Parramatta for now while they look for a place to stay. The company sponsored them, paid the container, the tickets and 1 months accommodation, now thats a nice way to migrate.

I am hoping to join them in future, my wife has too much family here and they are close too, i personally don't think she would handle the separation well, therefore we wont be migrating soon, but I will obviously be working on brainwashing full time.

Geniet dit in OZ :ilikeit:

Hi Les,

I cannot make up your mind for you, and I understand your position with your wife's extended family.

It is NOT easy leaving all your loved ones behind.

However, try not to postpone too long, for many prospective migrants, Time could be an enemy. You wait, wait and wait, and then one day you find that time has passed you by. Keep it in mind.

Here's a tip;

While you are still giving things a thought and en trying to convince your other half, start to address things that may be a bit time consuming, e.g. getting necessary documents translated, obtaining unabridged certificates, passports, army service clearance letter, checking out situations in Oz or elsewhere that suit your needs, etc.

Also talk to people on this forum as much as possible. This forum is a virtual treasure chest of information, advice and experience. There are "golden" people on this forum, if you follow my drift... <_<

So, when the day come and you decide "Now we are going", you can do thing with a type of headstart, and you don't have to fall around organising too much things then.

Mooi loop,

Dax

Edited by Dax

Hi!

Saying goodbye is the hardest thing, but something one can survive. I came from a very close knit family, and my husband wanted to go to Sydney 3 years ago, and I didn't see myself doing it.

Try not to "brainwash" her, she'll come round one day :) It's much harder immigrating if the one didn't want to go, and starts blaming the other one for everything :whome:

Think about it. Waht made me decide to go, was that we got married last year, and we want to start a family soon, unfortunately we do not see opportunities in SA :whome: We moved to the Seychelles last year, and I realised that I would copefine.

Now that we're here, I know we've made the right decision. And with all the technology today, it's easy to keep in contact with the people you love back home :ilikeit:

Good luck!! Use this forum, it helped me in so many ways <_<

Thanx for the responses, just for the record I would'nt really brainwash anyone, deciding to immigrate must include the entire family, myself (ready to go) wife (not sure if she can handle it or wants to go) my daughter (ready to go or not to) children are so easy.

I'm a graphic designer, wife a pre-primary school teacher, daughter has one and a half years of school left - then its to university.

Keep well

G'day

Hi Les,

I have got the same problem - my husband is very close to his family and I will have to convince him that for his immediate family(the boyz 6 and 8) he needs to do this, he needs to do this also in the event my in-laws need a way out as we have 1 sister in Canada and I do not want to go there. I am only just starting and am so scared of being rejected at the ripe age 38(his 50), its our last chance( I first considered the idea 20 years ago)- also bear in mind the younger you are whne you do this the more open you are to new ideas and the easier it is to adapt.

Hey, your daughter will be lucky if she gets a job or else she will immigrate and 'hier sit die twee van julle alleen'. I dote on my boys and cannot bear to think of them having their lives in another country without mom.

regards

May

Broadband is very affordable in Australia. Tell your brother that and get him connected so that he and his family can email you regularly, send you piccies of life in Australia and just generally show your side of the family that it is a viable lifestyle to be enjoyed over the other side of the Indian Ocean.

Just do what all politicians do . . . . . "float" the idea first, let all the arguments wash themselves out, then implement the policy once all the bull . . . . is over and out the way.

Let your missus get used to the idea, let her talk over all her problems and hang-ups, then go for it.

It might take a while.

Good luck, mate.

Dont like politicians much, especially here in SA :D , sneaky and you dont know what they are thinking but to get my family over to Sydney i'll definately be one, i'll use your advice about the floating idea, thanks for all the posts.

Eventually got mail from them today, they had flu after arriving so everything was delayed, only started working today.

regards

en lekker bly :ph34r:

Hi Everyone

I am the mother of "Said Goodbye" and can only confirm the same. It really was very emotional for us to say goodbye! To have three lovely teenage grandsons and not to see everyday is one of the toughest things for us. We love them and miss them a lot. After two weeks I can honestly say that I feel much better about everything. You only have to read our Afrikaans Newspaper Beeld everyday to realise that it was the best thing for them to do especially for the future of our grandsons!. I don't think I will be able to live without them forever - so after a few years maybe we will be able to live there temporarily or permanently. To all the Grandparents in SA with children in Aus - keep on loving and supporting them!

Oh Sue

Thanks so much for such a special post, it is wonderful that you can be so supportive. I wish more family members were on the forum and realised what a wonderful cyper family we have. Australia is wonderful and as soon as you have visited you won't want to leave either.