Advice on employment

australian

Please could we have any advice on the following.

My husband has basically been applying for every suitable job in his field ( Industrial and commercial refrigeration/air-con) on Seek and other employment web sites. We have had many responses from company's and agencies who believe he has the credentials and experience they are looking for, but all have said that he must only contact them once he has arrived and settled in Sydney.

Problem is, we were hoping that he would have a job to go to, as I believe it can take up to a few months once you have been interviewed etc, to actually get offered the position.

Has any one else experienced this, and should we keep trying in the hope that someone may be prepared to hire him before he arrives in Australia. We have our PR visa's already, but my husband will only be leaving for Sydney first week in October.

Thanks

Robyn

Guest Bronwyn

They are really only interested in you when you step off the plane, unfortunately.

It sounds like he will be ok for work.

Maybe worth a few phone calls to get a bit more firm commitment on the true wait time?

Bron

My husband has basically been applying for every suitable job in his field ( Industrial and commercial refrigeration/air-con) on Seek and other employment web sites. We have had many responses from company's and agencies who believe he has the credentials and experience they are looking for, but all have said that he must only contact them once he has arrived and settled in Sydney.

unfortunately that's just the way it is - employers want to SEE you in person. I came over on a PR visa without a job and busy looking now. The best is to bring enough money along to support you for 3 months. Also I think applying through sites like Seek is not always a very good strategy - your CV lands in a heap of 100s of hundreds of CVs and you are just a number. Rather try to find out who are the good recruitment agents in your field of work and then let them approach potential employers on your behalf.

Good luck!

Sorry Springbok don't agree!!!

We are the proof and so are many others working in Australia on a 457. Yes it is true that you might get more offers once you are in Australia but if you carry on without stopping, apply apply apply you will find someone willing to employ you.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

We are eating and so is my son and so is my friend in Sydney etc etc. Even Dedrei's husband.

Nilo

NEVER LOOSE HOPE!