Space in container from Jhb/Gauteng to Perth?

Barbara*

Have visa's, just sold house, still need to sell cars and pack.

Our family is moving to Perth in August 2007. We have a couple of boxes we would like to add to someone's container, or we are willing to share a container. We have enquired, and part containers (groupage) is soooo expensive for a few things, and they take soooo long to reach Perth because it goes via Sydney! Who else is in the same situation?

Hi Barbara

Your container shouldn't go via Sydney.... ours didn't. We had a removal company say that was the only way but they were talking nonsense!!!!

We shared a container and it took ages to fill... :) and it should be clearing customs in a week or two.

Good Luck

Gaille

Hi Gaille,

Groupage going via Sydney reaches Perth sooner. As you say, it can go direct to Perth, but it takes ages to fill, at the moment, the wait is estimated at about 6 months - that's seems awfully long to me. :ilikeit:

Thanks.

Barbara

Edited by Barbara*

Hi Barbra,

If I may ask Which container company did you use, we are gettinig quotes now?

Thanks

Evelyn

Hi Evelyn,

We haven't moved yet. I got quotes from Elliott, Magna and Crown Relocations. Magna was the best priced of those three, and very friendly service too, so far.

But we are toying with the idea of sending some stuff via air cargo (very fast) which costs about R30-45 /kg depending on quantities plus R500 documentation fee; and less urgent stuff via sea through the post office which costs R18/kg + R75 per package.

Hope this helps - seems like a tough decision - we're still deciding.

Thanks

Barbara

We used Biddulphs and were delighted with their service, price, packing skills and the way it was dealt with on arrival in Perth. It was the cheapest of the quotes we got, and was really good. We used AlliedPickfords from Abu Dhabi to Joburg and were not happy with they way they packed stuff.

Thank you everyone, for your input. We are not going to be sharing a container, we will send our few personal items by air cargo.

Thanks.

Thanks! I phoned Biddulphs yesterday - they really are priced well! And unfortunately I just missed a container, it left for Perth last week - Murphy's Law. Anyway, we've decided the heavy racking and large fridge will stay :thumbdown: besides, they're not essential, just nice-to-have's.