482 Visa

Candshow

Help, help, help! 

We are currently in Oz on a 482 visa. My husband's company wants to terminate his employment. 

We don't want to have to leave - we are 3 months away from being able to apply for permanent residency. 

What can we do? His skills are on the list but he doesn't have a degree only 17 years experience. He is a construction project manager. 

I feel sick to my core that this is happening. We have 3 very senior dogs who are our family with us. 

How can we stay? Is his only option to find another sponsor? He is 42 so starting with a new sponsor would mean missing the 45 year deadline for permanent residency. 

Surely there has to be a way? We've been here for 3 years in Jan. 

On 10/22/2022 at 11:40 PM, Candshow said:

Help, help, help! 

We are currently in Oz on a 482 visa. My husband's company wants to terminate his employment. 

We don't want to have to leave - we are 3 months away from being able to apply for permanent residency. 

What can we do? His skills are on the list but he doesn't have a degree only 17 years experience. He is a construction project manager. 

I feel sick to my core that this is happening. We have 3 very senior dogs who are our family with us. 

How can we stay? Is his only option to find another sponsor? He is 42 so starting with a new sponsor would mean missing the 45 year deadline for permanent residency. 

Surely there has to be a way? We've been here for 3 years in Jan. 

This is really awful news and must have hit you hard, the SC482 can be very harsh.

If it is possible you might try to see if there is an option to remain with your employer further?

If unable to obtain a Skills Assessment then generally you would be looking at needing an Employer Sponsored pathway. 

With regard to the age limitation there are some additional exemptions which would include (NB: the following is very basic):

• the potential to use the SC482 pathway if your husband was earning a salary above the high income threshold
  • the other option you might look at are the DAMAs (designated area migration agreement) which are formal agreements made between the Australian Government and a regional, state or territory authority where they can negotiate for some criteria to be relaxed including a higher age limit (50 or 55) to be permitted to transition to PR.  Most of these are in specific regional areas and each region negotiates its needs and these may vary by occupation.   

Wishing you all the best.

@TeeTMI, thank you so much for your reply. We are devastated! We have settled so well here 😢

I have no idea how to even begin looking at doing a DAMA visa. Could we contact you to discuss? 

At this stage we are hoping to come to a mutual agreement with the current company but with how they have been treating my husband I doubt this will happen.

22 hours ago, Candshow said:

@TeeTMI, thank you so much for your reply. We are devastated! We have settled so well here 😢

I have no idea how to even begin looking at doing a DAMA visa. Could we contact you to discuss? 

At this stage we are hoping to come to a mutual agreement with the current company but with how they have been treating my husband I doubt this will happen.

You are welcome to contact me - my email address is in the signature below.