RSA Passport validity for AUS Citizenship Application

Rossen

Hi all, we're about to be eligible to apply for AUS citizenship in the next month and have just realized that our son's passport is expiring at this December. Does anyone know what the passport validity requirements are for citizenship applications? As in does the passport need to be valid when applying for citizenship or should it be valid throughout the entire process? Theoretically we could apply at the end of the month when we become eligible with about 2 months of validity left on my son's passport.

We'll obviously for a new RSA passport for my son but it does take quite a while for it to come through and we'd prefer not to have to wait for the RSA passport to arrive before applying for AUS citizenship.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2022 at 8:05 AM, Rossen said:

Hi all, we're about to be eligible to apply for AUS citizenship in the next month and have just realized that our son's passport is expiring at this December. Does anyone know what the passport validity requirements are for citizenship applications? As in does the passport need to be valid when applying for citizenship or should it be valid throughout the entire process? Theoretically we could apply at the end of the month when we become eligible with about 2 months of validity left on my son's passport.

We'll obviously for a new RSA passport for my son but it does take quite a while for it to come through and we'd prefer not to have to wait for the RSA passport to arrive before applying for AUS citizenship.

Hi Rossen, I do not think it’s an issue at all if the passport has expired. Our daughters passport expired on 04 July 2021. We put in our citizenship application in December 2021 with the expired passport and citizenship was granted in July 2022 no questions asked.

Hi Rubie, thanks for that info. We might consider renewing my son's passport when we go to RSA for a visit eventually if the validity is really not a concern for our Citizenship application.