Citizenship timeframe

Nickyvd

Hello!

I was just wondering if anyone has recently attained their Aus citizenship and how long it took? If these crazy recent times have had a huge affect on the time?

I have to go back to South Africa for a couple of months to a year to be with my mom who isn’t well and I was hoping to get my citizenship before I go but I saw on the website that it takes 8 months and I have a friend who it took 2 years to get hers.

Hi, I applied in November and have my interview / test on the 25th of Jan. I don't know after that how long I will have to wait for the ceremony... 

Citizenship comprises 2 parts - first the interview/test then the ceremony. 

Around the country the processing times for both can vary and many have been impacted by COVID so there can be a bit of a backlog.

In my experience most people are currently looking at 6 to 18 months.

We found it really depends on where you are lodging from. Once you've done the test at the national level which seems to be a fairly consistent timeframe, the application goes to your local council. We saw a huge difference between Sydney The Hills shire council waiting times which was 4 months for us vs colleagues in Broken hill who waited less than three weeks! All the best with the application and paperwork. If you like a bit more of an organised affair, do the in person ceremony if it is an option, the Zoom affair is dreadful!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2021 at 9:04 AM, MargotOrch said:

Hi, I applied in November and have my interview / test on the 25th of Jan. I don't know after that how long I will have to wait for the ceremony... 

Wow. that's quick.

We applied in July 2021, so precisely 1 week short of 6 months ago.....received the application acknowledgment message but since then, radio silence....

I have one client that applied in December 21 who is doing their interview/test this month and I suspect he may be a citizen within a couple of months - NB: this is not the norm.  Most are taking 6-12 months and I have some waiting over 12 months. 

It is very variable dependent on the backlog of the area you are living in.

• Like 1

Thanks @TeeTMI, that gives some confidence that things seems to be within the norm.
I know someone who also applied and received an interview within weeks, lucky biscuit.
Weird.