Partner visa processing time

Jtaac15

Hello everyone

My partner visa application was submitted this week.  When we started the visa application journey we were advised that due to COVID backlog etc etc, it may take as long as 17 months (plus) and we have been planning our move around this sort of time frame (visa processing time plus the 'arrival time' allowance).  I recently heard of a friend who got hers in three months though and our agent confirmed that the processing time has decreased recently.  It seems as if it may now take between three and six months.  Has anyone had a partner visa approved recently and, if so, please could you share how long the processing time was.

Thank you and kind regards,

D

On 11/19/2021 at 1:37 AM, Jtaac15 said:

Hello everyone

My partner visa application was submitted this week.  When we started the visa application journey we were advised that due to COVID backlog etc etc, it may take as long as 17 months (plus) and we have been planning our move around this sort of time frame (visa processing time plus the 'arrival time' allowance).  I recently heard of a friend who got hers in three months though and our agent confirmed that the processing time has decreased recently.  It seems as if it may now take between three and six months.  Has anyone had a partner visa approved recently and, if so, please could you share how long the processing time was.

Thank you and kind regards,

D

As a generalisation the Partner visa processing times has increased significantly over recent years - however there was a larger quota of partner visas provided last year.  The Dept. of Home Affairs is currently stating that 75% of the Partner visas being processed at the current time are taking less than 18 or 22 months (varies re visa).
The time in which it takes will vary depending upon which visa you are looking at and the broader the circumstances. 

There was a policy decision last year that saw some partner visas processed relatively swiftly (couple of months) but this was not the norm.

Thank you so much - I really appreciate your input.  We have very much been working with the 'two year-ish' plan in our minds and are tentatively hoping for end of 2023 for the big move (obviously dependent on about a trillion factors and processing times etc).

Kind regards,

Dru

• 5 months later...

Just to follow-up on this in case anyone is following a timeline for themselves (as I was trying to do).  My partner visa was approved on 11 May.  The process from date of submission to date of approval was just shy of 6 months.

We did our medicals on 17 March and submitted our police clearance certificates on 5 May.  We used an agency to get our police clearance certificates and it took around 3 work weeks to get them - if you need one quickly then I'd really recommend going this route.  (The police station advised that it is taking up to 8 months currently if you do your application with the police because of the backlog).  We also used an agency to assist with our visa application - and I don't know how we would have done it without their guidance and assistance.

I'm happy to chat about anything from our process if anyone has any questions.

Yikes - now the real stuff begins!!!

On 5/14/2022 at 7:05 PM, Jtaac15 said:

Just to follow-up on this in case anyone is following a timeline for themselves (as I was trying to do).  My partner visa was approved on 11 May.  The process from date of submission to date of approval was just shy of 6 months.

We did our medicals on 17 March and submitted our police clearance certificates on 5 May.  We used an agency to get our police clearance certificates and it took around 3 work weeks to get them - if you need one quickly then I'd really recommend going this route.  (The police station advised that it is taking up to 8 months currently if you do your application with the police because of the backlog).  We also used an agency to assist with our visa application - and I don't know how we would have done it without their guidance and assistance.

I'm happy to chat about anything from our process if anyone has any questions.

Yikes - now the real stuff begins!!!

That is excellent news - congratulations.  We have seen that some applications are currently being processed relatively quickly - especially where they relate to people in/going to 'Regional' areas of Australia.