Where to start?

DeniseLEAPED

Good day, 

I am hoping to find some really good advise here. We are still considering all our options but thinking strongly of moving to Australia from South Africa.

For all of you that have done this already, kindly share with me a to do list if possible? Literally have no idea where to start, have never been overseas before. It is me, my husband, two children and two dogs.

I have a qualification in procurement and supply chain and my husband is a qualified high voltage electrician. I suppose finding him a job there would be first step?

Just a few question in my mind:

Would it be best to stay with family there at first and then find a place of our own and set up home from there?

Do we let hubby go over first and then me and the kids join after he is settled?

Also not sure how the schools work in Aus, I know they finish sooner than the schools in SA.

Do you suggest we both find work and just start immediately or do I let hubby work first and then I ensure that the kids settle in first before I find a job?

Any advise would be welcome.

Welcome to the Forum Denise

I'm not sure how up to date it is but there is a pinned post where people have put down comments on general areas of interest when migrating:

Some people start by trying to find an Employer to nominate them for a visa - others seek an independent skilled visa first.  There are pros and cons with both options if you have already obtained a visa then you are potentially of interest to a wider range of employers as they do not need to spend the time/money in nominating you...

Within the Skilled Visas there are lists of occupations that are potentially available to skilled migrants, occupations that the government considers in demand in Australia.  Some occupations have more visa options than others.  Skilled visas require you to provide evidence of your skills/experience.  The application process can take some time.

I applied for the Skilled Visa - 189  equivalent now, finding a job from SA proved impossible but others do. However when I arrived finding a job onshore was much easier.

If you husband comes alone or not is really a family decision and there are advantages either way. We came as a family but I have friends where the husband came first and focused on finding a job and a house and then brought the family across. Good luck