Does my child need a South African Passport?

Yuvi

Hi All,

So my child(under 2yr) is an Australian citizen and was born here. I have also registered his birth in South Africa.

When traveling to SA would he need a SA passport or not? He does have an Australian passport.

I'll call the embassy to see if they can give me the answer but checking here first and for anyone else's benefit.

Thanks

It depends on whether he/she is a South African citizen, if yes then technically a South African passport has to be used.

I've heard mixed stories, sometimes they don't care and just wave you through and some people have been detained and given plenty of grief by the South African border police.  I was going to say they probably wouldn't know that he/she is also registered as a South African citizen but if you are using your ZA passports they might be able to see your kids records on the system.

Thanks @ChrisH, so is it safe to assume that he would be a South African Citizen because we are.

Its all such a grey area in terms of what to do and what they will do upon entry.

1 hour ago, Yuvi said:

Thanks @ChrisH, so is it safe to assume that he would be a South African Citizen because we are.

Its all such a grey area in terms of what to do and what they will do upon entry.

No only if you registered him, my daughter was born here and South Africa will never know she exists.

11 minutes ago, ChrisH said:

No only if you registered him, my daughter was born here and South Africa will never know she exists.

Ok got you.I guess in hindsight i should not have registered him and left it for later on if needed.

Thanks