Breaking the news to family about immigration...

PieterleRoux

17 hours ago, PieterleRoux said:

Then, a very close call yesterday just reminded us again about one of the reasons we decided to make the move. 

We were in the exact same boat, at the time they were holding up whole restaurants (Midrand/Centurion area) and forcing everybody to hand over valuables.  A child also got caught in crossfire at the Centurion lifestyle centre.

Centurion seems to have become a mess, I see there are another incident at Centurion Mall in August 2020.

4 hours ago, ChrisH said:

We were in the exact same boat, at the time they were holding up whole restaurants (Midrand/Centurion area) and forcing everybody to hand over valuables.  A child also got caught in crossfire at the Centurion lifestyle centre.

Centurion seems to have become a mess, I see there are another incident at Centurion Mall in August 2020.

Sad part is there are areas much worse than Centurion. I can list a whole bunch of things here, but that's not the reason for this thread. Centurion just another area that has caught up with the crime

I do think there is a point which is the final straw. I was wrongfully detained by TMPD in Irene trying to extort a bribe from me. They threatened to rape my wife if we don't pay them R2000-00 each. That was the point I realized that we seriously need to look outside SA.

Now each time something happens. Shooting, taxi jumping traffic lights almost hitting us, stone throwing by rubbish collectors (one broken car windshield later) etc. I get more and more anxious to finalize our move. Feels like time is standing still with our move...

Received our police clearance yesterday... For some reason they did not include my wife's maiden name on the certificate as requested. Receiving mixed feedback on different platforms if this will be an issue. But will request new one anyway when picking these up just to be safe. 

Seeing some extended family over the weekend. (Wife's aunt). Her son is already in Canada so believe this will be a better discussion. 

Will do a write up later on how this journey of informing family has been and what I've learned. Hopefully this will help someone else

Thanks again for all that assisted so far. Really appreciate it 

Did you come right with the police clearance?

I am still waiting for mine and its one of the last documents my must submit.

On 10/16/2021 at 8:28 AM, RuanJvR said:

Did you come right with the police clearance?

I am still waiting for mine and its one of the last documents my must submit.

Will try and resolve it this week...

My mother-in-law passed away last week so with family flying in and the funeral arrangements, we did not have much time to follow up

But did speak to company that assisted us with the clearance and they are hopeful that they can request a re-issue that should not take as long as the original.

Sorry for your news.

On 10/15/2021 at 3:45 PM, PieterleRoux said:

Received our police clearance yesterday... For some reason they did not include my wife's maiden name on the certificate as requested. Receiving mixed feedback on different platforms if this will be an issue. But will request new one anyway when picking these up just to be safe.

Yes this would be an issue (re RSA PCCs) if police clearance is required. 

Thanks everyone...

Manage to request a re-issue on the PCC that has her maiden surname on it. Ready to be collected 

Edited by PieterleRoux

So it's been an exciting few months since we've started this process. Managed to get most of the documentation in place and our application for Visa will most likely be submitted in the next few weeks. 

We've managed to share the news with most of our friends and family in person. Only had to phone my one brother who is down in KZN, but the rest happened in person. 

Not sure if this will be helpful to anyone else that needs to go through the process but here are some feedback/tips:

1. Try and do it in person. Makes it a lot better
  2. Give time... Most of our immediate family were 'shocked' in that they did not say a word for a couple of moments and others shed a tear. 
  3. I saved some pictures from Facebook and WhatsApp on where we are moving as well as our companies offices in Brisbane. This helped a lot to discuss and show where we are heading
  4. I also did some reading on possible areas to stay and school's in that area. Had the links to these schools as well as some basic info on each. Oupa's and Ouma's reacted very positive to us talking about how positive this will be for the grandkids. 
  5. We actually saw the grieving process in all different stages at once between different family members. (Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance). These emotions cannot be changed, forced or manipulated and be prepared to support each one of the stages
  6. Questions? You research will have you prepared to answer most questions coming your way. But be prepared for lots of questions 
  7. Clear your calendar... In short, most of our family and friends are very supportive of the move. However they are all trying to squeeze in as much as possible time with us and the kids (which we fully understand, support and encourage)
  8. Visitors Visa's... I did not do any reading on these before we shared the news. Most of my focus was on on our own Visa's and the paperwork. I am saying this as most of our family (after digesting the news) responded with "When can we come and visit...? " 😀

This has been quite the journey already (and we are still on African soil), and at times we did not feel up to the task of sharing with family and friends... But I am extremely glad we did it in a short space of time. And by doing this our support base (which has always been good) has now grown to family and friends asking how they can support/assist us with the move. 

It wasn't the easiest of tasks, but necessary In a way it also increased our motivation and excitement for the move

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Been a while since I last posted... Visa was lodged middle December (482). Now the wait.

Not sure how everyone coped during this period. I am generally a calm and patient person, but this is getting to me. (cannot recall being this stressed in a long time)

Also not helping that we are on the Ausiekaners group on FB were we see people having their Visa's approved within a week. 

Anyway... Wishing you all a great week! (and a fantastic 2022)

7 hours ago, PieterleRoux said:

Also not helping that we are on the Ausiekaners group on FB were we see people having their Visa's approved within a week. 

Hang on in there - it is always frustrating when you see similar visas processed quickly.  There can be considerable variation in processing times, by chance and a variety of policy reasons...

All the best and I hope it moves quickly for you.

Visa approved !!!

Although it is only 08:15 here, it is 16:15 in Brisbane so seems appropriate to have some champagne   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PieterleRoux said:

Visa approved !!!

Although it is only 08:15 here, it is 16:15 in Brisbane so seems appropriate to have some champagne   

Congratulations! Roll on 2022!!
Exciting, enjoy the ride!

On 1/21/2022 at 5:16 PM, Melcy said:

Congratulations! May I ask how long after medicals was your visa granted?

Our medicals where submitted on the 7th of December and then visa lodged the 15th of December... So a month from lodging to approving

• 1 month later...

Flights booked for the 20th of March. 13 slapies 😃

To get back to my original post. As most of you would know already the informing family is not easy. But the goodbyes are even harder. Luckily everyone we had to say goodbye to and will be greeting in the next week are very supportive of our move (sad to see us go but very supportive nonetheless) 

However, we do have some very close family that has basically written us off for our decision (not had contact since we broke the news last year). We will be getting on an airplane in less than two weeks without saying goodbye to them (we have made our peace with it and are okay with it), but not the nicest thing to work through. This is the side of moving that one can never "budget" for or think how it will go when starting the process 

Thanks for all the support and pm's. I really appreciate it.

• Like 1

Whohoo!  Congrats mate.

Guarantee you one of the family members that "blocked" you will reach out to ask how you organised the move once the next big thing happens in South Africa.

Congrats on the visa and flights booked.  The process is stressful at the best of times, sorry to hear that some of your family are still upset, hopefully they will come around later down the line. 

• 4 weeks later...

Been in "Brissy" now for just over two weeks. So far so good 😀

Really liking it here. The people are great and the general atmosphere is quite laidback and relaxed. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 11:59 AM, PieterleRoux said:

Been in "Brissy" now for just over two weeks. So far so good 😀

Really liking it here. The people are great and the general atmosphere is quite laidback and relaxed. 

Welcome to Australia!  Excellent - I'm really pleased that the first few weeks have been positive and may that continue as you settle into your lives here.  These first few weeks can be rather hectic.   

On 4/8/2022 at 5:06 PM, TeeTMI said:

Welcome to Australia!  Excellent - I'm really pleased that the first few weeks have been positive and may that continue as you settle into your lives here.  These first few weeks can be rather hectic.   

3 Weeks in now and still very positive. Very chuffed so far

Rental market a little tough at this stage (recent floods did not help as well) but very positive that we will manage to find something. Had a few good viewings on Saturday again.

Wife and kids seem to be right at home here 😀

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

It's been 6 weeks in Brisbane already and we are settling in great. Rentals where a bit tough but finally managed to move. Kids are going to school and my wife starts work on Monday (a whole story for another day, but the recruitment process here is just so professional and easy compared to SA)

But back to my original post. Breaking news to family was not easy and we've had very different responses. For anyone reading this that might need to go through this in the future, I wish I can give better advise or tips. But at the end of the day, just be straight and understanding, and try and keep the emotions away when answering.

And be prepared for different reactions. We've had quite a lot of tearful reactions, but with lots of support. Then other family members have not spoken to us since we broke the news. Basically broke contact with us. This is not easy, but definitely not worth wasting our time over it. 

My parting tip will be to use this time with friends and family carefully. This will set up a base on how you communicate when over here in Australia. Make sure the older family members know how to use the video call on WhatsApp 😀 and buy them a second clock (desk, wall etc.) and set it up on your Australia time. 

• Like 2

Well done on settling in so well, it can be very tough initially.  

I found the people who said we'll be back within a year etc etc. to be the best fuel for making a success of things here. 

The best is when family members come to visit and see how well you've settled and how awesome this city is!