Visiting parents

Lourica

Good day!  

I need some advice please..  I want my parents to come over for a long visit when the borders open again one day.  I think I would need to get health insurance for them on this side.  Who have done this before, which health insurance companies does this sort of thing?  How does it work?  Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Usually health insurance have travel insurance. If your parents have health insurance in South Africa they can ask their health insurance if they have travel insurance and for how long.

I'm with Discovery and we have 3 month travel insurance.

I would check with their current health insurer first, they might offer extended travel insurance (problem is at the moment I reckon any covid related treatment would be excluded so just check that).

Your other problem would be that a visitors visa only allows them to stay for a couple of months at a time, so depending on how long you want them to stay they might have to leave Australia every couple of months.  They can literally fly to bali and back but they have to go out and back in.

• 2 weeks later...

We had my mother in law visit for about five months and took out a Medibank insurance specifically for international visitors. Payment was easy to arrange and the cover was pretty decent... as long as no one was pregnant apparently since we got asked that question more than 5 times!

Fortunately did not have to make use of it too much but they paid for an x-ray when a toe was stubbed hard without any questions so might be an option to consider.

https://www.medibank.com.au/overseas-health-insurance/visitors/

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi. My parents are also wanting to visit and came across this https://www.medibank.com.au/overseas-health-insurance/cover/everyday-hospital-medical/?subclass=600&age=75 which seemed pretty reasonable... Need to contact them and make sure it will cover my parents.

A question I had... My parents just got their 600 visa for 12 months. Can we just book one way tickets and but the return tickets cost to the time they need to return?