New passport during Covid madness

MariusO2

Hallo Almal! 
Has anybody tried to renew a South African passport through Canberra recently?

How long is the process at the moment? I would think that Covid is playing havoc with the timeline. 
Any insights?

I renewed just before Covid hit and that was a ten month process. Recently contacted Canberra to follow up on our dual citizenship requests and was informed that there is no timeline available since mail delivery in SA is interrupted.

Might be best to start as soon as possible.

Thanks very much. 
I’ll get the ball rolling ASAP 👍

• 5 months later...

Just on a similar topic,

We are about to renew our passports for a second time since arriving in 2008.

The requirement according to the SAHC website is that a full set of fingerprints is required every time an application is lodged for a passport renewal.

This is an odd new rule, as they surely have the previous set of prints on record somewhere on their system.

Has anybody been through this new requirement?

Regards

• 4 weeks later...

Nope, I asked as well, it has to be new. One of my colleagues also applied for the second new SA passport and had to supply ink fingerprints as well. All the best getting the ink prints done, most of the police stations just shake their heads and laugh.

When I applied for my new SA passport a few years back the Ink fingerprints were already a requirement. Hubby just renewed his for the first time, and he also had to do the ink fingerprints. We called around to all the police stations to see which of them had the ink firstly, and then secondly had the stuff who actually knew how to do it.

Word of warning, make sure you have EVERYTHING else ready including the envelopes addressed etc because the police are not supposed to allow you to leave with your own fingerprints. You have to package the whole application there and then and give it to the police to post. This has now happened twice.

Odd. Both police stations we visited allowed us to mail our own applications. The last station actually objected first to giving us the application, we then left to get a self addressed envelope at the nearby post-office which is no big deal. When we returned the constable apologized and said RSA is the only country that allows them to give back the application to us. They somehow checked on this. We just walked back to the post office and sent it off.

Either way, all the best with the application, take some tissues and hand sanitizer along!