Experience - No Qualification

johanpotg

Question

Hi,

My Wife and I are busy with the application process for Australia.

She has a BCom degree and has enough points for us to Qualify.

However we can not be dependent on her salary alone as Accountants that side does not make much.

I have 9years Experience in the Engineering (Operations ) sector but no qualifications. Mines,Marine,Petroleum etc.

Will it be easy for me to get work on that side? Even if it means starting from the bottom again.

Thanks

Johan

6 answers to this question

Welcome to the Forum Johan

Hopefully someone will come along and answer your query about availability of work soon. 

In the meantime, whilst you are probably aware, I thought I would mention, just in case, that at the current time as a broad generalisation Australia's borders are closed.  As a consequence of this very few people are being invited to apply for the 'points scored' independent skilled visas unless in an occupation critical to Australia's COVID-19 recover.  You can still submit an EOI into the pool of people hoping for an invitation.

Hi,

Yes we spoke to the agent and he made us aware of the situtation. We still hope that things will get better soon.

The process also takes time so have to be ready incase.

Thank you

Edited by johanpotg

22 hours ago, johanpotg said:

Will it be easy for me to get work on that side?

Difficult to say as you didn't elaborate what specific you have done in operations - as its a broad field.

Instead of following the normal route looking through job advertisements, may I suggest that you identify which companies you would like to work at.

Lets pick petroleum - now look for their Petroleum Associations of Australia. There area few: APPEA; APACMA; PESA

Often they will have a members directory. Their you will find all 60 players in the market and 140 upstream players eg https://www.appea.com.au/members/

Now view each member's website for jobs. See which role fits your experience best. Those are the job titles you need to use in Australia

Apply for a few, use a gmail account not an .co.za and see if you get to a interview stage.

Also, get you resume updated and your Linkedin profile setup.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Honestly, you will be competing with people who do have qualifications and are already in a network for jobs. My advice, if you have the time to study, do something. Then again, if I were you, I would rethink it. Trades make good money here so dont think just management positions in Australia. Electricians in my company make more money than the electrical engineers........

• Like 1

Have a look here: https://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/For-Individuals

Also depending on your job experience you may be able to do a postgraduate as a mature student without having to have a degree and you are able to do that online. Maybe worth looking into just to give you that extra bit of an edge.  

Alternatively, start at the bottom and work your way up or look for rural or FIFO jobs rather than in the major cities where competition for the same roles would be stiffer.